New Anti-Piracy Bill Proposed in U.S. Senate

JPhantom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it seems to me the government could try and then order the shutdown of offshore sites but I see no way to enforce such decisions if they are based outside the jurisdiction

Bunie

#1 Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeh move GBATemp to Peurto Rico!
ph34r.gif

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
commdante said:
If piracy is costing the media-industry 200.000 jobs, it means it creates the same number of jobs too in other industries.
wink.gif
It's not like pirates are all turning to millionairs over night due to saving all that money, it'll just be spend elsewhere.

Maybe if they'd cut prices like every other industry has done, instead of raising them.
Movies on VHS were a lot cheaper, though production costs were at least 10* more.

Best example of the worst of kapitalism, rich people get richer, poor people get sued by them.
THIS IS THE BEST ANSWER

they are trying some similar shit in Canada, and im pretty pissed off myself, but what will it ever do? not much besides annoy people.

ALSO: why people will never stop pirating

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sanity said:
The bill would also allow these actions to be pursued against such websites in rem — meaning that the website itself can be treated as the defendant rather than its owner.

How would the website show up for court to defend itself? Would they print out a picture of the homepage and mount it to a board?

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
jumpman17 said:
sanity said:
The bill would also allow these actions to be pursued against such websites in rem — meaning that the website itself can be treated as the defendant rather than its owner.

How would the website show up for court to defend itself? Would they print out a picture of the homepage and mount it to a board?

Websites are global, while citizens are not. If we are not going to censor the internet, there needs to be a way to prosecute those who create websites meant for blatantly illegal activity, and since we can't take the owner directly to court, we have to take him to court through the website.

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
Maybe they'd create a virtual court? I don't know, these days it seems like anything is possible...
Well, that'll get made fun of with YTP, and use CD-i King as the judge?
It'd get trolled so hard XD

EDIT:
More proof that Big Business controls the government & EVERYTHING and is after EVERY penny, even if it means putting potential customers deep into the red.(lawsuits, eventual bankruptcy, foreclosures, ect)

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I still doubt legality of this act. Can you really put remote website on federal court? Will other countries say anything to this?

To be honest, now is not the time to pursue pirates. Now is the time to revitalize economy. When will these pumpkin heads learn?

D

Deleted User

The US can pass what they wish for their own country. However, I think it's wrong that they can/try dictate laws, rules, etc... and impose them on other countries.

Simple: if you are in country A, then you should be held liable for the laws of country A, and not have to worry about the laws in country B.

I wonder how many companies have already bought a vote for this? Also, how will they get their culprits? Will they they have other countries extradite these people to the US so they can appear in court? I don't see how they can take you to court in another country... So your honor this guy broke the Anti-piracy law in the US... but didn't break any laws here in his own country????

Overall this is all complete BS!

Ratmonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As far as taking a website to court, I used to buy cigarettes from yessmoke.com and Phillip Morris took them to court. The judge demanded they turn over thier customer list whch they didnt keep and was illegal by thier own countries law to turn over so they refused. The judge then took the yessmoke.com domain and turned it over to Phillip Morris. Although this is not exactly what this law is about the US already has precedents with taking over foreign websites.

Read more here:
http://yesmoke.eu/conflicts/philip-morris-vs-yesmoke/

Note: If the above links are in violation in anyway Mods please edit to delete them.

dragon574444

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When I'm 60, I'll tell my grand kids about the good ole days of the internet, when you could download ANYTHING you wanted for free. And if you could get speeds above 5 MB/sec, you were hot stuff.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't see this getting passed even though I partly agree with it. Well, the overall principle, anyway. I think public domain should include items that can no longer bring a company money, like SNES games.

Hold other countries responsible for this? Yeah right. Have some sane copyright laws and perhaps piracy wouldn't be a big issue.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It makes me wonder just how much did entertainment and video game industry "donate" to these senators? I'm pretty sure this bill violates international law in some way. But given that it is United States we are talking about here, I highly doubt there will be any obstacles along the way.

Like I said in the previous post, senators should be focusing on revitalizing economy, rather than this cat and mouse game. And I wonder just how much can America economy benefit from this. Sure, entertainment and video game industry will benefit greatly from this. But overall for the entire US economy I highly doubt there will be a huge boost. While they spend money on prosecuting those pirates, US economy continues to plummet, unlike other countries where their economies are stabilizing as we speak.

Now, no offense to those who actually love US, but this just really shows how corrupt and stupid our government is. Democrats, Republicans, third parties, independences, they are all the same in my eyes. Frankly, I have to agree on what the Iranian says, "[we] are the western dictator, and are no better than Hitler".

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
trumpet-205 said:
It makes me wonder just how much did entertainment and video game industry "donate" to these senators? I'm pretty sure this bill violates international law in some way. But given that it is United States we are talking about here, I highly doubt there will be any obstacles along the way.

Like I said in the previous post, senators should be focusing on revitalizing economy, rather than this cat and mouse game. And I wonder just how much can America economy benefit from this. Sure, entertainment and video game industry will benefit greatly from this. But overall for the entire US economy I highly doubt there will be a huge boost. While they spend money on prosecuting those pirates, US economy continues to plummet, unlike other countries where their economies are stabilizing as we speak.

Now, no offense to those who actually love US, but this just really shows how corrupt and stupid our government is. Democrats, Republicans, third parties, independences, they are all the same in my eyes. Frankly, I have to agree on what the Iranian says, "[we] are the western dictator, and are no better than Hitler".
about the least nationalism i've ever seen form an american. honestly you do have a great deal of corruption, but i disagree with he Hitler comparison, that was mindless murder, mindless greed isn't quite as bad.

on another note, this bill is stupid and will accomplish something between nothing and nothing useful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gay history is serious +1