Hardware New computer

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
For 500 just are just about not getting the cutting edge, as far as price-performance ratio goes.
You really want to spend a little more, I recommend these components:

PSU:
Corsair 430CX - €40
Always go with these 80 Plus branded PSU's.
You might pay a little more, but you want a reliable PSU for the sake of your components. ;)
And they are green!

CPU:
Intel® Core™ i5-2500K - €203
It's a "K" CPU, so you can overclock it, you do need to get a aftermarket cooler for that stuff though.
You can do it whenever you feel the need for it, so as soon you have enough money for a better cooler, you may want to do that.

Mobo:
ASUS P8H61-MX USB3 - €47
-or-
ASUS P8B75-M LX - €58
These are µATX motherboards, they are like really cheap.
The more expensive has a RAID controller onboard. ;)

RAM:
-4GB (2x 2GB)-
Corsair 4 GB DDR3-1333 Kit - €25
-8GB (2x 4GB)-
Corsair 8 GB DDR3-1333 Kit - €42
We have to go with 1333mhz RAM, because the CPU only supports up to 1333mhz RAM.
You can buy single 4GB or 8GB sticks, but then you won't be using the dual bandwidth option, which is faster.

Case:
Sharkoon MS120 - €36
Because this case is the cheapest here with 2 USB 3.0 front ports.
And it's also a µATX formfactor.
You can put any normal ATX formfactor PSU in there though. ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are now at: €350 (cheapest options)
I think paying a bit for the CPU would not hurt, because otherwise it would really drop a few frames per second in games, with this CPU you are decently future proof.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GPU:
GIGABYTE GV-N650OC-2GI - €128
Really cheap, and it has 2GB!

MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC
Great for overclocking also, it can get up with the 670 stock performance!
It has 2GB too.

If you go and pick a 650 Ti we're on €488.
If you go and pick a 660 Ti we're on €640.

I would really go for the 660 Ti, it is way more future prove.
The CPU can handle it of course, even when overclocked.
You want to enjoy games with out frame drops, and it seems to run Crysis 3 very well, just don't max everything.
Crysis 3 660Ti OC i5:

Edit:
I also saw this 650Ti OC one:

And this is even in beta now. :)

Optimal but recommended:
Cooling (CPU):
Corsair Hydro Series H100i - €98
With this cooler, you can overclock the CPU really good!

Storage:
Kingston SH103S3/120GB - €99

It is 555 MB/s read and 510 MB/s write, super fast, and 120GB.
Enough for Windows and few programs.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Adr990, you are missing couple points

* While you can overclock i5-2500K, you have to use P67, Z68 or Z77 motherboard. No H-series or B-series motherboard can do any real overclocking.
* OP is in United States, so OP does not care about a build that is centered around 500 Euros.
* OP is playing on 1024 x 768, which is overkill to bring in 2500K and 660 Ti. The most I would go for is i3-2100 with HD7770. Even then Llano platform is sufficient for such resolution gaming.

Reactions: Celice

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh yes, ofcourse I see, then it gets a bit more expensive..
But the OC is not needed.

And the prices should be almost the same, comparing them on NCIX or so.

Also, that is a horrible resolution to play games on.. 0_o
Get a higher resolution monitor... NOW.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, that is a horrible resolution to play games on.. 0_o
Get a higher resolution monitor... NOW.
I dunno, most games look the same so long as you have the right aspect ratio and are using the native resolution intended for your display. As far as gaming goes, I see no difference when running games at different resolutions--so long as they're at intended resolutions of the monitor--except for less performance hits at lower resolutions. The games don't often, if ever, make use of the extra rendering space as far as 3D elements go, and 2D elements will simply appear much smaller, or else scale with the resolution.

That's been my experience and a few others, at least. My friend plays at that resolution above, Far Cry 3, and the only difference between his and mine is that I'm in widescreen, and he's on an old CRT :P Game looks the same as far as rendering is concerned.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It is good enough for your chosen system. However, if you wish to upgrade in future (I.e. add a graphics card so you can play Battlefield 3 at MORE than low settings), you would be better off getting 550W minimum.

Look up the Corsair builder and gamer series. They are far more reliable, and the power supply is one part you don't want to try and cheap out on.

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For frame of reference, I'm using an A8-3870k without a video card, and I can play stuff like Battlefield 3 and Farcry 3 at more than acceptable framerates.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, so that means i'm stupid? (Sorry not in a good mood right now)