Hardware New Faster Lighter 3DS Console Announced

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
Smealum us now holding off on releasing his hack because of the new 3ds coming out so no point in threads for a while

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People need a place to rant (e.g. the "Why add anti-piracy to devolution thread?"). Just consider this thread the equivalent of that and leave it be. Otherwise A. more threads will be created or B. the rants will leak into 'real' threads.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
users cry because they can't launch homebrew ... which are :

9 games
---------
Pong not in .3DS form
Snake
Tetris not in .3DS form
ShootYaFriend
JezzBall
BreakOut
3048 not in .3DS form
Frogr not in .3DS form
Yeti3DS

2 not so well working emulators:
------------------------------------
Gameboy
NES

Some demos
--------------
- Mandelbrot not in .3DS form
- Particules effect <-- only interesting demo
- look, I can press a button and change the screen color not in .3DS form
- Look I can print text not in .3DS form
- Look I can fake a brick not in .3DS form

Utils
-----
PlayCoinSetter <-- AHHH, this is what you are waiting for! now I understand why you are crying.
CTR Stream server (unreleased)

So, Everyone is crying for things they don't even want to launch, or are not currently working? You don't even know what exists and want it anyway.
what differences between a release now with nothing to play, or a release later and waiting without playing what you wouldn't have played anyway?
ah, yes, self entitlement for free stuff that you don't even need.

Mikecrowfone

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People need a place to rant (e.g. the "Why add anti-piracy to devolution thread?"). Just consider this thread the equivalent of that and leave it be. Otherwise A. more threads will be created or B. the rants will leak into 'real' threads.

Yes. Mods need a thread to close too. So that's going to happen.

Reactions: jacobas92

Diag

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
since every japanese human beeing must already have at least one 3ds, they have to put a new model on the market

when it works with pokemon, maybe also with the hardware: go catch´em all!

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So it's okay to utilize increased clock speed and a colour screen on a GBC, but it's not okay to utilize the increased clock speed of the new 3DS? Why? Because it's not as far apart from the original as the GBC was with the GB?

Everybody keeps spelling doom and gloom and how their 3DS'es are obsolete now - they're not obsolete. The darned thing is just getting a few exclusive games, just like the DSi and the GBC did before it - big whoop. 3DS games will continue to come out and if Nintendo has any sense, future games will be N3DS-Enhanced to provide a superior experience on the new revision. This does two things - it keeps the millions-strong fanbase around and it entices it to migrate to the new revision with stuff that just can't be played on the old one.

As I've said earlier in the thread - get the N3DS, System Transfer, sell old 3DS, bam! You've got yourself a superior system at a minimal expense - best of both worlds.

Yes, I just wrote that. It was a natural evolution of the game boy, and basically was a successor to the game boy. AND the game boy was 9 years old. If there comes an update after 9 years, that's fine. And there were around 450 GBC games, of which less than 200 were backwards compatible (playable on the original game boy) but made with the GBC in mind.
The DSi had 4 exclusive games, not counting the DSiWare downloadables.
And most of the enhanced games utilized the camera in some way, which the original DS hardware didn't have. So that's quite fine as well.

The N3DS enhancement will not be using any hardware gimmick to enhance the games as the DSi did - but will, as you said it, provide a superior experience. If that doesn't render the 3DS obsolete... well, we're in a disagreement on that point.

(I won't be selling my 3DS, I never sell consoles or games).

Reactions: Nightwish

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's okay to utilize increased clock speed and a colour screen on a GBC, but it's not okay to utilize the increased clock speed of the new 3DS? Why? Because it's not as far apart from the original as the GBC was with the GB?

Everybody keeps spelling doom and gloom and how their 3DS'es are obsolete now - they're not obsolete. The darned thing is just getting a few exclusive games, just like the DSi and the GBC did before it - big whoop. 3DS games will continue to come out and if Nintendo has any sense, future games will be N3DS-Enhanced to provide a superior experience on the new revision. This does two things - it keeps the millions-strong fanbase around and it entices it to migrate to the new revision with stuff that just can't be played on the old one.

As I've said earlier in the thread - get the N3DS, System Transfer, sell old 3DS, bam! You've got yourself a superior system at a minimal expense - best of both worlds.
I don't think the GBC really fits with this as the Game Boy was around for 9 years before the GBC came around. That said, I don't think this spells doom and gloom. I'm hoping it will be like the DSi exclusives, as in games I don't care about. It's just the idea of a few exclusives for the new 3DS that I might want to play but not being enough to get me to drop another $160 kind of disappoints me. We'll see what happens, but overall I'm fine with the new 3DS. I think the extra buttons, second analog stick, and better battery life should have been part of the original one, so better late than never.

EDIT: Isaac beat me to the GBC point.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The N3DS enhancement will not be using any hardware gimmick to enhance the games as the DSi did - but will, as you said it, provide a superior experience. If that doesn't render the 3DS obsolete... well, we're in a disagreement on that point.
The DSi provided a superior experience in a lot of games. In Pokemon B&W it gave you the option to use voice chat, some other titles allowed the user to take photographs and use them in-game or otherwise utilize specific DSi hardware, some simply "ran much better", like Cop: The Recruit.

I don't know why you dismiss DSiWare - is it because it'd downloadable software? If so, then that's a pretty backwards attitude in the 21st century, when Digital Distribution is pretty standard.

None of those things made the original DS fully obsolete - obsolete means "useless". Your 3DS is not obsolete just because an enhanced revision is coming out.

Reactions: NEP

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care for backwards compatibility in home consoles, but it's a big deal for me in handhelds. It's completely understandable between seriously major revisions (GBA to DS, though the DS kept GBA compatibility until the DSi), but I think like-systems should be compatible. I'm expecting to not have DS compatibility during Nintendo's next "real" new handheld, but as for now, I'm not quite ready to need THREE go to Nintendo handhelds to keep all bases covered (GBA SP, 3DS, and whatever comes next).

I agree with this next system we might not have DS capability but as for home consoles bc is very important to me cause it means not having a bunch of old home consoles piling up everywhere especially when you need room to store things also I love the added two way street for home consoles its the very reason why I never touched my PS3.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Over 3 years..

3 motherf***** years.

That's how long it took Nintendo to realize they should PROBABLY, fit in a second analog stick.

Dear god Nintendo.. Get your shit together..

Now lets see the incredible price this "new" machine will be launched at.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I agree with this next system we might not have DS capability but as for home consoles bc is very important to me cause it means not having a bunch of old home consoles piling up everywhere especially when you need room to store things also I love the added two way street for home consoles its the very reason why I never touched my PS3.
Backwards compatibility is a nice addition, but should never be a make-or-break feature - it's great to have if your original design can support it, but if it can't and the industry is nearing a technological jump, it should be skipped in favour of more recent, relevant technology. If not for the insistence on BC, perhaps the Wii U wouldn't be in nearly as much trouble as it is in now.

Back to the N3DS though, there's another reason why I'm happy about the second stick - it will now be the default configuration for all N3DS users. This means more dual analog support, and more dual analog support is something I value dearly. This could not be achieved by just the CPP add-on which was not a necessary purchase for 3DS users and as such unpopular and broadly unsupported. Now that all the new 3DS systems have a second analog, developers should put more focus on implementing that in their control schemes.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Backwards compatibility is a nice addition, but should never be a make-or-break feature - it's great to have if your original design can support it, but if it can't and the industry is nearing a technological jump, it should be skipped in favour of more recent, relevant technology. If not for the insistence on BC, perhaps the Wii U wouldn't be in nearly as much trouble as it is now.

Positively agreed.

Always with the god damn backwards compatibility. Dear god people, if you want backwards compatibility, freaking play on the older system!

If it were up to some people, the Wii U would still be reading freaking NES cartridges.

Jesus.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The DSi provided a superior experience in a lot of games. In Pokemon B&W it gave you the option to use voice chat, some other titles allowed the user to take photographs and use them in-game or otherwise utilize specific DSi hardware, some simply "ran much better", like Cop: The Recruit.

I don't know why you dismiss DSiWare - is it because it'd downloadable software? If so, then that's a pretty backwards attitude in the 21st century, when Digital Distribution is pretty standard.

None of those things made the original DS fully obsolete - obsolete means "useless". Your 3DS is not obsolete just because an enhanced revision is coming out.

Yes I'm a caveman because I don't think DSiWare is equal to cartridge games. and Obsolete means "out of date" or "replaced with a newer model".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    +1
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same. +1