ROM Hack New Retro Mario Bros.

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
SKJmin said:
Knyaz Vladimir said:
Then I hope it's not as flawed as NSMB3.

I would still know WHAT YOU MEAN?
PM me when you don't risk your account
tongue.gif
*justjoking*
But I would still know what yu mean, so answer please...
SKJmin, calm down dude... I think he's talking about your workarounds to NSMB's limitations (like less powerups), which make some levels not feel like the originals...

SKJmin

Loved by few, hated by many, respected by all...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Turkey
jceggbert5 said:
SKJmin said:
Knyaz Vladimir said:
Then I hope it's not as flawed as NSMB3.

I would still know WHAT YOU MEAN?
PM me when you don't risk your account
tongue.gif
*justjoking*
But I would still know what yu mean, so answer please...
SKJmin, calm down dude... I think he's talking about your workarounds to NSMB's limitations (like less powerups), which make some levels not feel like the originals...
Hmm, I'm just asking me how YOU would act in my situation?
When someone would post a comment like this to your game
smile.gif

When it''s "flawed", or bugged or whatever he meant, I'm gonna release the 1.1 very soon, the guy should say what exactly is wrong, so I can fix this crap...

PS: i don't think he meant the Power Ups, I'm sre >50% are playing this game with cheats... got so many wuestions why thier game gets a black screen in 8-Final...
Look in my Youtube channel lol

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
SKJmin said:
Hmm, I'm just asking me how YOU would act in my situation?
When someone would post a comment like this to your game
smile.gif

When it''s "flawed", or bugged or whatever he meant, I'm gonna release the 1.1 very soon, the guy should say what exactly is wrong, so I can fix this crap...

PS: i don't think he meant the Power Ups, I'm sre >50% are playing this game with cheats... got so many wuestions why thier game gets a black screen in 8-Final...
Look in my Youtube channel lol
I would probably say something like:
QUOTEI'm sorry you're having issues, but, in order for me to fix it, I kinda need to know what is wrong... Some of the things just aren't fixable due to limitations of the NSMB engine... Sorry, but I need more info, dude...

Anyway, we're getting off-topic.

World 3 will be very hard, everyone, so sit tight for a bit... The levels from SMB and SMB2 have more different areas than are set to the levels, so I'm gonna have to work on compressing them to fit properly while not causing the game to explode... (AKA a difficult task)

I'll have to do some planning and searching around in the ROM to see exactly what files are for what levels etc so that I can get this thing to work...

Why did Ninty decide to put a bunch of 2-area levels in this thingy?!?

SKJmin

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Turkey
jceggbert5 said:

I think I asked me this question more than 1000 times...Had to reduce a lot of advanced bonus rooms in my hack
frown.gif

But when you can find a way to put more area in a level, let me know about it^^

Remember, when you put more than 65536 tiles in one map, the level gets corrupted
smile.gif

I made this experience.....
hate2.gif

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
SKJmin said:
jceggbert5 said:

I think I asked me this question more than 1000 times...Had to reduce a lot of advanced bonus rooms in my hack
frown.gif

Remember, when you put more than 65536 tiles in one map, the level gets corrupted
smile.gif

hate2.gif
Yeah, but I know something you don't, and I'm not sharing (because it's too buggy and not stable at this point)...
rolleyes.gif

Although, if you examine 1-A, 1-Tower, and 1-Castle in my hack real closely, you might find it in the most stable way I can make it, although it's not always that easy
smile.gif

SKJmin

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Turkey
jceggbert5 said:
SKJmin said:
jceggbert5 said:

frown.gif

smile.gif

hate2.gif
Yeah, but I know something you don't, and I'm not sharing (because it's too buggy and not stable at this point)...
rolleyes.gif

Although, if you examine 1-A, 1-Tower, and 1-Castle in my hack real closely, you might find it in the most stable way I can make it, although it's not always that easy
smile.gif

Dude, I'm finished with the hack, I don't think I change something
smile.gif

But ok, you don't have to tell me...but, maybe I know it too
smile.gif

Ya know, I learned a lot of new function in the hack which weren't even used in the original NSMB
smile.gif

Good luck with your game!

Coolman5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yaynds.gif
Hi jceggbert5 when the new retro new mario bros english nintendo ds full version download
coming out release and all those 1-8 levels

thanks in advance jceggbert5

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
Coolman5 said:
yaynds.gif
Hi jceggbert5 when the new retro new mario bros english nintendo ds full version download
coming out release and all those 1-8 levels

thanks in advance jceggbert5
Uhh... What?

If you're asking if I will finish, Yes, I plan to.
If you're asking if I'm done, No, nowhere close to done.
If you're asking me to tell you when I'm done, No, I won't remember. I'm hoping for completion within the next 18 months. Hopefully in 12.

rave420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
amazing work so far, considering your very limited resources for such an undertaking.
You have done a great job for a 'rom hacker' that doesn't have access to good tools.

I just imagine all the restrictions, compromises, errors, glitches and bugs you have to work with and work around. But still, even with all these ramifications you have quite outdone yourself. Making the best with what resources you have is what separates the noob from a skilled person with determination.

You probably had an idea, an epiphany, or a brainfart that made you want to do this. So you took inventory and just had at 'er. The road was full of rocks and pitfalls, and more than once did you have to change something because you couldn't implement it the way you wanted to. Yet, i look at levels made that look as good and play as good as if they were made by a whole team, with clever locations for star coins, hidden blocks, moving platforms etc.

I read all 36 pages, and what i saw was a man with determination, who took every chance to learn something along the way. A man who persevered in situations where most of us would have said 'fuck it'.

i tip my hat to you good sir, i hope to see a released v1.0 one day.
have a merry christmas, and thank you for your dedication.

(ps: it plays just fine on an R4 clone with AKAIO 1.8.1)

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
rave420 said:
amazing work so far, considering your very limited resources for such an undertaking.
You have done a great job for a 'rom hacker' that doesn't have access to good tools.

I just imagine all the restrictions, compromises, errors, glitches and bugs you have to work with and work around. But still, even with all these ramifications you have quite outdone yourself. Making the best with what resources you have is what separates the noob from a skilled person with determination.

You probably had an idea, an epiphany, or a brainfart that made you want to do this. So you took inventory and just had at 'er. The road was full of rocks and pitfalls, and more than once did you have to change something because you couldn't implement it the way you wanted to. Yet, i look at levels made that look as good and play as good as if they were made by a whole team, with clever locations for star coins, hidden blocks, moving platforms etc.

I read all 36 pages, and what i saw was a man with determination, who took every chance to learn something along the way. A man who persevered in situations where most of us would have said 'fuck it'.

i tip my hat to you good sir, i hope to see a released v1.0 one day.
have a merry christmas, and thank you for your dedication.

I thank you for your post, rave420, it's posts like yours that give a ROM hacker more inspiration to complete his task.

(How did you get AKAIO to work on an R4 clone?)

I've been working equally with and against the bugs, glitches, and limitations, and I've done so many things to make it work so far that I'm hesitantly doing more to it, as it's so hard to make a good remake with so many things against you, but I must say thanks to Treeki and Dirbaio (and others) for their hard work making NSMBDS even editable by a slightly-above-average joe, and the makers of the other utilities that I have used for this.

Alongside NRMB, I have worked with a couple other NSMBDS hacks, helping their creators on their way, such as SKJmin and his New Super Mario Bros. 3 (love the final, BTW), as well as Spenstar and his New Super Mario World. I like doing this kind of stuff, and I encourage anyone that wants to do it, DO IT! You'll have fun!

Anyway, work is coming along, and a new demo should be available on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day!

It will have World 3 from SMB1 as the first 4 levels of W3 on NSMB, as well as a (partially broken, atm, working on a fix) A-1 of SMBLL as 3-C (I think that's the one)

Merry Christmas,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Egg

rave420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
don't even ask how i got akaio to work on the r4 clone.

I used an action replay DSI to launch the ALEX RYDER STORMBREAKER patch, since the ARDSI allows you to launch .nds homebrew. after that was done, i tried every firmware for the R4 there was, including wood. Nothing worked, so i gave up. The next morning i got pissed off and said fuck it. By some off chance i downloaded AKAIO because i klicked on the wrong link. I took a chance and put it on the R4 flash card, and omg, it booted and played roms. Talk about strange...

so now i go around advocating the use of AKAIO on R4 clones. So far i can play every game without a problem, with exception of those that have an unconventional AP or need the arm fix. I am suprised i am not having more problems. I didn't even get any save / load problems so far.

i would love to hear from someone else about this. So far, everybody hails wood R4 as the best, most compatible firmware for the original R4. But what if you bought a clone, and it doesn't work? Well, using the AKAIO did the trick for me, and i would be happy if this information saves a newbie some trouble.

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
rave420 said:
don't even ask how i got akaio to work on the r4 clone.

I used an action replay DSI to launch the ALEX RYDER STORMBREAKER patch, since the ARDSI allows you to launch .nds homebrew. after that was done, i tried every firmware for the R4 there was, including wood. Nothing worked, so i gave up. The next morning i got pissed off and said fuck it. By some off chance i downloaded AKAIO because i klicked on the wrong link. I took a chance and put it on the R4 flash card, and omg, it booted and played roms. Talk about strange...

so now i go around advocating the use of AKAIO on R4 clones. So far i can play every game without a problem, with exception of those that have an unconventional AP or need the arm fix. I am suprised i am not having more problems. I didn't even get any save / load problems so far.

i would love to hear from someone else about this. So far, everybody hails wood R4 as the best, most compatible firmware for the original R4. But what if you bought a clone, and it doesn't work? Well, using the AKAIO did the trick for me, and i would be happy if this information saves a newbie some trouble.
Hmm... It must be one of those clones that is based off of the Acekard PCB thingy they released some time back...

Also, I just noticed that you're kinda new here. Welcome to GBAtemp!

rave420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
now that you mention it, after i opened the R4i (r4ultra.com) i found no big 48 pin chip inside, there was a tiny glue dot with most of the card being empty. It looks very much like the design you see on an acekard2i.
Either way, i was lucky i had that ARDSi around to excecute the patch, since the only fllashcard i had didn't work.

haha yeah, new to GBAtemp maybe, but certainly not new to the "Game / Console Hacking scene".
That's why i can appreciate the hard work someone like you put into a nds hack
wink2.gif

I just recently bought the DSi because i always had nintendo close to heart since my childhood. Of course it's no good unless i have "full controll" of the piece of hardware i own (to backup my games of course, these damn cartridges are so small these days, easy to loose). I learn fast and i am amazed by how large the NDS comunity is.

I can't help to think that video games are getting stranger and stranger, but maybe i am just getting older
cool.gif

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
rave420 said:
How dare you! You are making a mockery of Another World!

I know you may not have options, but... using a cracked firmware for something close to illegal in the first place... that's just low.

EDIT: Sorry for accusing you, I didn't read your post.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still don't know why he left unless someone really hurt his feelings
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why people get so emotional online just get over it ffs
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He was the ass of gbatemp, everyone knocked on him, I honestly felt bad, even though I was guilty myself, but he egged it all on himself,
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But he still here, but under dif name, he pm me sometimes still even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's like they think we'll be in their bed pissing on it the next day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like gbatemp should make t-shirts or memorabilia to remember the lost ones. I bet the Polly shirts would sell out quick.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah that could actually bring lawsuits
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tempsuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    PollySuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your correct, Somebody would be guilty and there would be riots, then they storm the gbatemp capitol,
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Online or not there are still certain rights that judges would have no issue handing out a warrant over
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just look at Kim dotcom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Honestly I'm scared to, from you, but ok, lemme turn on vpn, virtual machine, private browser first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Remember that Alexa robot I gifted you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And that laptop Webcam you never tapped up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That robot is here somewhere, I hear it moving around at night, but I haven't seen it for months.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh that laptop I give to ancientboi, so you been watching him for months, and he's been watching you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good more than enough material for the fbi
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    He could make so much money!!! His arm would never get tired lol
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    How are yall doing
    +1
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are yall doing +1