New slot-1 media player in the works (iPlayer)

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
i.Domination said:
Looks promising.... for DSi owners. Good to see that more developers are making flashcarts, even if its just for media and homebrew.

Is there a possibilty of such a cart on DSL, ever?

It is for DS/DSL! read more carefully
tongue.gif

QUOTEMany of you speculated that this cart may be running in DSi homebrew mode which unfortunately is NOT the case. In fact, the new cart has a powerful on-board CPU that makes possible media playback that wouldn't normally be achievable on a Nintendo DS. (DSi mode being a different story)

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough but this cart is for all DS models, so DS/DSL/DSi. Just like the normal 'i' flash kits are. They're of course backwards compatible with DS/DSL, not just DSi
smile.gif

But just like the 'i' kits, it's still limited to running in DS mode, being unable to take advantage of the extra DSi hardware features.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Maz7006 said:
Noitora said:
Since it would be able to load homebrew, it would be possible to load games using YSMenu.

Thats what i had in mind, but it may not support YSmenu

Noitora, i thought you knew better, YSMenu will only allow commercial games to be run on R4, AK2 and DSTT any other cart and they simply will not work.

sipoon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
looks like you would probably have to resize the videos to play on the ds, kinda like the playyan(anyone remember that? i was able to watch a whole anime series with subs on the GBA encoded in mp4, much better quality than dpg on moonshell) or for the ipod

Zerotance

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Have you seen the name of the video that it plays? It is

"avi-1569 Kbps-640x480-25fps.avi"

It means that it plays at 1569 Kbps, the resolution is 640x480, and it runs at 25fps.

Im a genius
grog.gif

(Its at 2 seconds into the video)

D

Deleted-119707

this just for dsi because of the improved hardware or can it be used with the dsl?

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
nicky041192 said:
this just for dsi because of the improved hardware or can it be used with the dsl?

I wasn't sure at first but

QUOTE(shaunj66 @ Jun 6 2009, 07:05 PM) Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough but this cart is for all DS models, so DS/DSL/DSi. Just like the normal 'i' flash kits are. They're of course backwards compatible with DS/DSL, not just DSi
smile.gif

But just like the 'i' kits, it's still limited to running in DS mode, being unable to take advantage of the extra DSi hardware features.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This looks really good, the gui looks nice and clean which is always good. But one thing that I'm wondering about is the cost. Is it going to be high or roughly the same as normal flashcards I can't see myself parting £30/ $50 for a card that only plays media ( ignoring third way rom loaders for a moment).

If its at a decent price I can see it doing well but it sounds like it may have cost a bit to make in the first place therfore needing to sell at a high price. I've got to say I'm interested in this.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
Normmatt said:
Maz7006 said:
Noitora said:
Since it would be able to load homebrew, it would be possible to load games using YSMenu.

Noitora, i thought you knew better, YSMenu will only allow commercial games to be run on R4, AK2 and DSTT any other cart and they simply will not work.
I've never used YSMenu before...Damn, I'm really stupid for not knowing that.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Noitora said:
Normmatt said:
Maz7006 said:
Noitora said:

I've never used YSMenu before...Damn, I'm really stupid for not knowing that.
lol, I'm sure a romloader could potentially be made though... If anyone cared enough to do so.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
IF this is realy true (it looks like that, but I'm still not 100% shure...), I guess I'l wait for a Flashcard Team that makes the same card, only with ROM-Loading...or I'll wait and see what Normmatt will do
tongue.gif
. Like always, let's see how this will look when it's done, hope it has some nice virtualisations+cover support for .mp3s...so a realy nice Player, like a real Walkman
tongue.gif

D

Deleted-119707

this cart will have no chance of replacing my r4+ysmenu. this cart will only be able to run homebrew and media. so can my r4 but also with roms.

Öhr

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
avi? mov? rmvb? those are containers. it doesn't state if it supports divx/xvid and other codecs that fit in those containers. you could also inject a h264 stream in a avi container(buggy though)!
in the end you could inject a dpg stream in .avi. with some modding even in mov and rmvb. easier way:
those files are renamed .dpg's!

im not so sure about this "player" - hoax.

also a processor on a card. this will shorten the battery life and im not sure if this even could work. 500kbps maybe, but a higher bitrates might be too much for the ds card slot!
and if this isnt a hoax, we will most likely have to convert it anyway:
- too high bitrate
- resolution too high
- file too large

Matt140

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Erm, if it had its own onboard CPU, wouldn't that mean shorter battery life,
it would be practically impossible to watch more than 3 movies with it on the DSi
with an extra CPU, the DSi's battery already gets drained in around 13 hours.

Or, would it not use so much power... I guess we'll have to wait and see
biggrin.gif

Öhr

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Matt140 said:
Erm, if it had its own onboard CPU, wouldn't that mean shorter battery life,
it would be practically impossible to watch more than 3 movies with it on the DSi
with an extra CPU, the DSi's battery already gets drained in around 13 hours.

Or, would it not use so much power... I guess we'll have to wait and see
biggrin.gif
itll run with the ds clock, not the dsi clock which is way higher. so the dsi should run quite long in ds mode. though the processor will shorten it drastically anyway
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong