New theme is "too bright"

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've noticed this complaint is pretty common so I just made a thread about it.
Example:
Code:
[16:43:22]  the new look is actually give me a headache, I'm not joking
[16:43:32]  MY EYES MY EYES
[16:43:37]  I had to close out
[16:43:47]  *giving
[16:43:53]  its not easy for my eyes too lol
[16:43:57]  but possible
[16:44:02]  It
[16:44:03]  contrast between colours is shit
[16:44:05]  too much clutter
[16:44:05]

Reactions: 5 people

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it was down for maintenance, it really seemed like it was going to be badass. I have to admit, I was anxious.

And then...

I saw the light @_@

It's a bit too bright, so here's to hoping we'll get a darker theme or the white will be toned down.

She lives! 2 posts inside of a week? Craziness.

Maybe the fact that I'm under florescent lights for 11 hours a day makes it easier for me to adjust. i dunno...

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
gallery_262855_65_15393.png
gallery_262855_65_23307.png
j
It's not your imagination, the new design is brighter. I think TJ cool said it wasn't in another thread.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
j
It's not your imagination, the new design is brighter. I think TJ cool said it wasn't in another thread.

ummm... the only thing brighter between those two images are the date and the buttons at the bottom... everything else is the same color.

I think people are just starting to nitpick at this point.

Reactions: 1 person

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah my eyes do not like it as well not only because of this many white ... the whole thing somehow doesn't work with my eyes.

2 of my friends where i was already whining about the new looks said to me they do not see any difference but for me this is like hell oO
(ok i am definietly overreacting but since i first saw this new design my heart started to make problems like i am on adrenalin .... would call anyone telling me this a freakish idiot but well ... maybe i am)

we really NEED the option to get the old design back o do not need any of the new features -.-

P.S. "everything else is the same color" oO? i really hate all the buttons not only for color but they definielty look different

and my pc laggs writing in quick edit oO

Snailface

Trophies
XP
j

ummm... the only thing brighter between those two images are the date and the buttons at the bottom... everything else is the same color.

Really? Doesn't anybody else see it? My image editor even confirms that the brightness is different: (253,253,253) vs.(255,255,255)

Doesn't bother me though, my snail eyes are impervious to bright light. :P

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
j

Really? Doesn't anybody else see it? My image editor even confirms that the brightness is different: (253,253,253) vs.(255,255,255)

Doesn't bother me though, my snail are impervious to bright light. :P

If this is a troll post...Congratulations sir! That was fantastic!

Snailface

Trophies
XP
--snip--
My eyes are not deceiving me, there is a difference. You could see it for yourself if you had a capture of the old site to compare.

My images' color must be getting compressed somehow-- my typical luck.

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It did look brighter (and painful) at first, but my eyes got accustomed with it. Just take some time and get over it, guys.
different people percieve light in dofferent ways, where you may be comfortable with black on white, I am more comfortable with white (or light grey/yellow) on black (or dark brown/grey)
There's now an option for this in the User CP.
gallery_184720_72_4879.png
we can thank tj_cool for that, who has been working very hard all day on the transition :)
Thanks tj_cool!
--snip--
My eyes are not deceiving me, there is a difference. You could see it for yourself if you had a capture of the old site to compare.

My images' color must be getting compressed somehow-- my typical luck.
He's not trolling, there is a slightly (emphasis on slight) noticable difference between the two. It's subtle, you need to have a good quality monitor to see it.
Regardless the issue was about larger areas of brighter colours. Now we have a fox of sorts.

Good lord guys, turn down your computer's brightness. The site really is no brighter than sites such as Facebook, in fact, sites like Facebook are still brighter. If the theme hurts your eyes, I can only figure one of two things:

1) You really like to pump the brightness settings.

or

2) You stay in a very dimly lit area, and a bright site kills you because there is so much more light in contrast to the room around you.

Hell, maybe it's both.

1) That would mean that this isn't actually a readability problem, but rather a problem with people who for some reason like to waste power.

2) That's not true, I have adequate lighting around me - and I am fine with many other sites.

Here's some reading for future reference: DarkBackground.org, This StackOverflow answer and last but not least this StackOverflow answer.

In short, since the monitor is a polarized light source - as opposed to a piece of paper with printed text that reflects the light, dark backgrounds, black-on-white causes greater eye fatigue. You might not notice it, as it only manifests as pain in some (typically those with more sensitive eyes, such as myself), but that's the truth plain and simple. Black-on-white is however better for comprehension (as shown in the first stackoverflow answer), which is why it is actually used in the first place.

2011-10-09_1411.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    THIS IMAGE IS SO SCARY WTF. THAT SURE AS HELL IS NOT A CAT THATS LIKE A FUCKING DEMON

Untitled2.png
    Bonus points for running things over with the lawn mower?
    +1
    Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    she was an apple appstore girl
    he was an uptodown boy
    He was an android boy
    She said see ya later boy lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    something something boomer and r/im14andthisisdeep "ThAt'S tHe UnFoRtUnAtE sTaTe Of OuR mOdErN sOcIeTy"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    except they'd criticize you for having a phone in the first place lmao
    In my day we used smoke signals and liked it!!!
    +1
    5G gives you covid!! Kills bees and lets the devil control your sperm!!! *Walks away frothing at the mouth*
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    back in my day we just talked in person to communicate, and used books for entertainment, now pull yourself up by the bootstraps and develop a sense of work ethic, ya darn whippersnappers!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: back in my day we just talked in person to communicate, and used books for entertainment, now...