Hardware Next Nintendo DS Titled "Nintendo 3DS"

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
The DS has had a long run, so it's a good time to launch a sucessor. I know we don't really know what it does yet but what's with the motion hate in this thread? I rather like motion/accelerometer driven games, so long as it's used in the right places.
smile.gif

Somewhat bizarre marketing strategy though; in Europe the DSi XL came out 2 weeks ago. Once this announcement hits mainstream news it's probably going to slam a nail in the sales of that console.

D

Deleted_171835

Dragonlord said:
TM2-Megatron said:
Dragonlord said:
Stereoscopic rendering is not 3D. When do people eventually learn this. VR is 3D but not SR. Besides SR only works with a few people. And without special glasses SR doesn't work at all since you need filtering. How else are your eyes supposed to know which of the two rendered images it should use? Exactly, there is none. Filtering on the screen is worthless since each of your eyes needs a filter not both eyes together. Your eyes are also not "interlaced". So physically this is nonsense.

Since there are a few companies that've developed displays with some kind of filter on the screen itself, my guess would be that this isn't as "impossible" as you say. Unless you're an engineer with greater skill than all those people who've been working on these problems for so long, now.

There's an article on a display from Sharp here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/12/3d_illusion/

Apparently your eyes need to be at about the right place to perceive the effect (I guess because the two distint images are reflected by the filter in different directions), but it's some progress.
For 3D to work each eye has to be presented with a slightly different image. This is how our eyes work. They are like two cameras with a slight offset capturing the world. The brain the assembles the two images to a final 3 dimensional perception. The major catch here is that only if each eye gets a different image this system works. This requires a filter right in front of each eye so the eye in question receives the appropriate image. Otherwise the effect is not working. This is physics, plain physics. Now if you make a filter on the screen what you can only do is a sort of light bending filter. So you bend the light rays either slightly to the left or right alternating between each other. This way you would sort of redirect rays either to the left or right eye. This would do a sort of filtering but only, as you mentioned, if the eyes are at the exact right location. Being slightly off would destroy the result. It's the only way you can get this physically to work but it's totally impracticable.
The screen of the 3DS is relatively small and is generally viewed by the same angle everytime unlike a television. It's one person viewing a small screen at an even viewing angle. It should be rather easy to get the 3D effect. Then again, this ruins what Nintendo was boasting the about the DSi XL. Allowing other people to view the handheld too.

Seina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2010年3月23日

各 位
To everyone/to whom it may concern.

新携帯ゲーム機の発売に関して
Regarding the main point of the sale of a new portable game device,

任天堂株式会社(京都市南区、社長岩田聡)は、 裸眼で3D 映像によりゲームが楽しめる
According to Nintendou corporation (Kyouto (city) Shiminami ward, company president, Iwata Satoru), with the naked eye, from a 3D image game, will be able to be enjoyed.

「ニンテンドー3 D S」(仮称)を、2011年3月期に発売い
たします。
Nintendo 3DS (temporary name) will be released on the third month period of 2011.

「ニンテンドー3 D S」(仮称)は、2009年12月末時点での当社からの全世界向
け連結販売台数が1億2500万台に上る「ニンテンドーDSシリーズ」の後継機となる
新型の携帯型ゲーム機であり、ニンテンドーDS i を含むニンテンドーDSシリーズ用ソフ
トもお楽しみいただける互換機能も有しております。
Nintendo 3DS (temporary name), at the the point of time at the end of 2009, this firm, concatenating sales, 125,000,000 units, will go up to. Turning into the Nintendo DS series' successor device, the new style portable game device Nintendo DSI will turn into the Nintendo DS series' successor device, containing it. You can also look forward to enjoying the use of the Nintendo DS series software. We will also make interchangeable function exist.

その他の詳細に関しましては、2010年6月15日からアメリカ合衆国のロサンゼル
スで開催されますビデオゲーム展示会であるE3ショーにて発表予定です。
For other details, from 6/15/2010, in America, ロサンゼルス (Los Angeles?), we will hold a meeting. Our announced plan is to the video game exhibition E3 show. (We will announce a plan there?)

以 上
ijou (sincerely)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Psyfira said:
The DS has had a long run, so it's a good time to launch a sucessor. I know we don't really know what it does yet but what's with the motion hate in this thread? I rather like motion/accelerometer driven games, so long as it's used in the right places.
smile.gif

Somewhat bizarre marketing strategy though; in Europe the DSi XL came out 2 weeks ago. Once this announcement hits mainstream news it's probably going to slam a nail in the sales of that console.
I think the XL is purely aimed at those who have yet to buy one, the adverts seem to want to get the casual crowd in there. Not heard anything about sales though, can't have done so well.

asdf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It'll be 7-ish years by the time that it's released, so I think it's about time a new one was released. Gives me a year to save up money. I'll definitely buy it on release day.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
asdf said:
It'll be 7-ish years by the time that it's released, so I think it's about time a new one was released. Gives me a year to save up money. I'll definitely buy it on release day.

It probably won't be quite a year. All that was mentioned in Nintendo's PDF was:

"it will be released in the fiscal year ending March 2011"

That could mean this September as easily as next February or March. So it could easily launch with Pokemon Gen V.

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
SoulSnatcher said:
Dragonlord said:
TM2-Megatron said:
Dragonlord said:
Stereoscopic rendering is not 3D. When do people eventually learn this. VR is 3D but not SR. Besides SR only works with a few people. And without special glasses SR doesn't work at all since you need filtering. How else are your eyes supposed to know which of the two rendered images it should use? Exactly, there is none. Filtering on the screen is worthless since each of your eyes needs a filter not both eyes together. Your eyes are also not "interlaced". So physically this is nonsense.

Since there are a few companies that've developed displays with some kind of filter on the screen itself, my guess would be that this isn't as "impossible" as you say. Unless you're an engineer with greater skill than all those people who've been working on these problems for so long, now.

There's an article on a display from Sharp here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/12/3d_illusion/

Apparently your eyes need to be at about the right place to perceive the effect (I guess because the two distint images are reflected by the filter in different directions), but it's some progress.
For 3D to work each eye has to be presented with a slightly different image. This is how our eyes work. They are like two cameras with a slight offset capturing the world. The brain the assembles the two images to a final 3 dimensional perception. The major catch here is that only if each eye gets a different image this system works. This requires a filter right in front of each eye so the eye in question receives the appropriate image. Otherwise the effect is not working. This is physics, plain physics. Now if you make a filter on the screen what you can only do is a sort of light bending filter. So you bend the light rays either slightly to the left or right alternating between each other. This way you would sort of redirect rays either to the left or right eye. This would do a sort of filtering but only, as you mentioned, if the eyes are at the exact right location. Being slightly off would destroy the result. It's the only way you can get this physically to work but it's totally impracticable.
The screen of the 3DS is relatively small and is generally viewed by the same angle everytime unlike a television. It's one person viewing a small screen at an even viewing angle. It should be rather easy to get the 3D effect. Then again, this ruins what Nintendo was boasting the about the DSi XL. Allowing other people to view the handheld too.
The problem is not the viewing angle, it's the position of the head relative to the screen. Hence all motions like tilting/rotating the screen/head, moving the head left/right/up/down as well as moving the screen/head forward/backward even if by a small amount results in breaking the 3D. Such screen based stereoscopic rendering is even more fragile than the head based one.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dragonlord said:
The problem is not the viewing angle, it's the position of the head relative to the screen. Hence all motions like tilting/rotating the screen/head, moving the head left/right/up/down as well as moving the screen/head forward/backward even if by a small amount results in breaking the 3D. Such screen based stereoscopic rendering is even more fragile than the head based one.

However, it's clear that Nintendo has found some workable solution. Or they wouldn't have made such a major announcement. We'll all have to wait 'til E3 to find out exactly how this is being implemented.

D

Deleted_171835

QUOTE said:
“It doesn’t matter about how the screen is tilted as the zone is horizontal only, and can be viewed very well for all vertical angles. All of this makes it the ideal technology for a handheld, and it has already been brought to market with the Fuju 3D camera. If people are designing for 3D for a very specific screen then it should look amazing and take handheld gaming literally into a new dimension. 3D has had a rocky ride and people are often skeptical of whether it will work and be comfortable to watch. James Cameron has proven without doubt that consumers love 3D and it can be amazing and comfortable experience, even for three hours at a time.” - Blitz Games Studios CTO Andrew Oliver

Some info about the Parallax '3D' tech.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xcdjy said:
Two whole months. Well, slightly more.
Anyone up for hibernation until then?
Let me just make my carboard box and stick some pizza and grog in there.

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is true, I will be placing a pre-order as soon as it becomes an available option! As a side note, I hope they release better colors than the DSi XL.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think Nintendo's new marketing strategy is flawed. The DSi XL is right around the corner, and they announce a New DS. The DSi XL was announced just right after the DSi. Methinks the cycle will go on, and people who hold out for newer technology won't buy any new handheld Nintendo console for a while.
It'll go like this: "Oh there's the DSi! I want one." Later, "Oh, there's a DSi XL! I'll wait for that instead." Right before the DSi XL is released, "Oh what, there's some new Nintendo 3DS! Looks cool, I'll get that instead of the DSi XL." Around the release of the 3DS, "Oh, a new DS! I'll wait for that instead of getting the 3DS." and so on, and so on.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
YayMii said:
I think Nintendo's new marketing strategy is flawed. The DSi XL is right around the corner, and they announce a New DS. The DSi XL was announced just right after the DSi. Methinks the cycle will go on, and people who hold out for newer technology won't buy any new handheld Nintendo console for a while.
It'll go like this: "Oh there's the DSi! I want one." Later, "Oh, there's a DSi XL! I'll wait for that instead." Right before the DSi XL is released, "Oh what, there's some new Nintendo 3DS! Looks cool, I'll get that instead of the DSi XL." Around the release of the 3DS, "Oh, a new DS! I'll wait for that instead of getting the 3DS." and so on, and so on.

The DSi XL is for senior citizens. Are you a senior citizen? Most people intent on buying an XL won't care one way or the other about the 3DS.

D

Deleted_171835

TM2-Megatron said:
YayMii said:

The DSi XL is for senior citizens. Are you a senior citizen? Most people intent on buying an XL won't care one way or the other about the 3DS.
Nintendo claims it isn't. Apparently, it's for more "precision when playing Nintendo DS games". We all know the truth, though.

gibberish

Trophies
XP
Country
i sincerely hope that this device is powerful enough to 100% emulate the n64 once it is hacked. thats the only reason id buy it really. either that or they allow you to purchase ports of old n64 and snes games through some kind of market place, like you can on the wii.

the 3d aspect does sound interesting, but im willing to bet it wont be as impressive as it sounds.

Matt140

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wonder if Nintendo will make the 3DS follow a path similar to that of the iPhone/iPod Touch, allowing us to download mail, browse the internet with a browser that doesn't constantly report low memory (+ possible flash support), play videos, music (more formats would be nice) etc.. perhaps a 'homebrew' service, where a free SDK is released.

One can dream can't they?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://abcnews.go.com/US/3-swimmers-attacked-sharks-off-florida-panhandle/story?id=110942862