DjFIL

OP
Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
So this is the year we finally have real competition in NHL hockey titles on the Wii. EA's NHL Slapshot vs 2K's NHL 2K11. Last few years with only 2K on the Wii, i've written it off every year and stuck with buying EA's NHL for my Xbox 360. But this year I'm considering taking a year off of playing hockey on my Xbox 360, and focusing that time on the Wii... and this year has the best chance to find a good Wii NHL game. So lets compare...

2K's NHL 2K11
-2K's NHL focus is 100% on the Wii this year. It will not sit second priority to the big consoles.
-MotionPlus available. By the looks of things (via previews) EA will not use MotionPlus.
-2K is now on their 3rd year to master the Wii controls for NHL games.

EA's NHL Slapshot
-EA's NHL games have been better then 2K since the 'next-generation' started. (on my original Xbox, I preferred 2K... that has changed since the Xbox 360)
-Pee-Wee's to Pro's. Just this career mode concept is music to my ears. Appears to include full CHL, AHL and NHL licences.
-Foam hockey stick to insert controller. Optional of course... I'm personally not a fan of the peripherals like this.

Still about 2 months away to release... so this thread may be early, but I am gaining excitement after seeing some footage from E3. Look forward to reading more previews, then getting a chance to try it hands on in September.

chop

Trophies
XP
Country
Jeez, you forgot the Mario Hockey game in Mario sports mix

Seriously, I'll be looking at 2K11, I expect slapshot to be a cheap port.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
in before Terminal_Illness. haha!

Looking forward to a decent hockey game. I miss my copy of Wayne Gretzky on my 64
frown.gif

Pete666

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hope EA slapshot you can do a carrer mode with an nhl team

because I prefer EA from 2k !!!! because when they release 2k9 it was pure SHI***

2k10 was okay..

Hope Slapshot is not a gimmick for kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because I don't know why they took gretzky on the cover... they should have take crosby!

DjFIL

OP
Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
Now with NHL 2K11 released today, thought I'd bump this thread back up. Got to play through a few games now of NHL 2K11... it's an improvement, but still needs work if it wanted to become my #1 NHL game (over any platform). Here's my thoughts on NHL 2K11... using a list of simple pro's and con's.

Pros:
-Finally uses full 16:9 widescreen! (All three 2k10 sports games had slight black bars on sides)
-Lifting the puck for tricks and juggling is fun... but maybe too easy to exploit easy goals once used to the controls.
-Uses Motion Plus. Deking and shooting works ok. But could be better utilized for defence (body checks and poke checks).
-Minor but counts, 2K animates/models all 4 officials (2 ref + 2 linesmen) on ice in real time and a full bench of substitutes. EA always cheeps out on this with 1 referee and what looks like 1/2 of the bench where your sub magically appears for his shift. (This is true on EA's 360/PS3 versions)
-Mini games could be fun for with groups... nice addition to add value.

Cons:
-Graphics are still Wii trying to look realistic. I prefer EA's cartoonish look used in Grand Slam, FIFA & Madden. NHL Slapshot doesn't appear to be fully using the cartoonish look, but does look smoother (in the videos) compared to NHL 2K11's graphics.
-Skating engine is not very smooth and seams inconsistent. Something EA NHL has nearly perfected on the 360/PS3.
-Canuck fan here... minor thing but appears that 2K didn't get the memo that GM Place is now Rogers Arena. Guess that's an issue with launching the game a good month before the season begins.
-Outdoor games is based on 2010 season in Boston. Did not include the two outdoor games in Calgary and Pittsburgh for this year.

So overall it's not a terrible game, and it is an improvement over 2K10. The skating is what really gets me frustrated sometimes. It's very inconsistent with turn speeds and how quick you can accelerate. It makes defence very difficult to play. I find the controls are more complex then they really need to be, especially when compared to playing NHL on the 360/PS3. And MotionPlus isn't playing as big of a improvement as we have seen with other sports games on the Wii using WM+. I'd say NHL 2K11 is a 7/10... I'll keep it on my HDD, but it won't be my regular NHL game to play. Hoping EA NHL Slapshot will play well, the idea of a full career with Pee-wee's to Pro's is still very exciting to me.

chop

Trophies
XP
Country
My problem is I'm in franchise mode on nhl2k10, so don't want to start the new game

and can't get hold of a hockeystick for NHL in the U.K.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
I was expecting Slapshot to be better than 2K11, mainly because EA Sports seems to always be outdoing 2K Sports in the hockey department nowadays. Guess I'll set my sights on NHL Slapshot for a hockey Wii game... or I could just get NHL 11 for the PS3.

terminal_illness

Dark Hadou Master
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
KiiWii said:
in before Terminal_Illness. haha!

Looking forward to a decent hockey game. I miss my copy of Wayne Gretzky on my 64
frown.gif

ditto... nhl2k11 is ok, nothing different from 2k10 tho... just rosters mostly...

and as for nhl slapshot? looks pretty kife, but i will try it...

hockey rules but hockey + Wii = not so cool.

hey kiiwii i didnt know we were competing for posts:)

DjFIL

OP
Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
NHL 2K step aside, EA's NHL Slapshot is here to dominate Wii Hockey games! Played just two 'play now' games so far... but here's my thoughts.

Pros:
-Controls are very well thought out. Way easier to learn and use then the over complex controls of the 2K games.
-Works great with and without the hockey stick peripheral... there is even a slight control modification option for without the stick so you don't need to point the remote downwards all the time (hold C for slapshots, rest is the same).
-Pee-Wee's to Pros! Best career mode idea ever! And it's exclusive to the Wii version! Just like Be A Pro mode in the 'big versions' where you control only your player, but you take your player through Pee-Wee, Bantam, Juniors (CHL) and then make it Pro (AHL\NHL).
-Graphics look way sharper then that found in NHL 2K11. They do use EA's Wii cartoonish look, but overall it looks great.

Cons:
-No online play. It's really too bad. (Downloading online rosters is available though)
-Can't turn off the 'extra' graphics (smoke trail on slapshot, cartoon bubble for body checks, red sparks when hitting the post, etc).
-EA also shows Vancouver Canucks arena as General Motors Place.

So other notes. There is 5 game modes... Play Now (which gives 4 options; peewee and bantam is 3 on 3 kids hockey, juniors is CHL 5 on 5, and pros is AHL\NHL\International at 5 on 5), Peewee to Pro is the career mode, Full Season can be played in AHL or NHL, Stanley Cup Final series between 2 NHL teams of your choice and there is 4 Mini Games (Shooter vs Goalie, Classic Shootout, Free For All & 2 vs 2.)

Overall this is a great job by EA. I'll easily be willing to skip my regular purchase of the HD version of NHL this year to play this. Next year I'll probably be back on my Xbox 360 with NHL 12... but I'm very satisfied with this. 9/10 from me... only Online and few minor fixes would make it a 10/10.

paulee123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
played one game of slapshot,

excellent! is all i can say.

GFX = v.good (pro mode is five on five) thought this game was only 3 on 3.
yaywii.gif

Pete666

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DjFIL said:
NHL 2K step aside, EA's NHL Slapshot is here to dominate Wii Hockey games! Played just two 'play now' games so far... but here's my thoughts.

Pros:
-Controls are very well thought out. Way easier to learn and use then the over complex controls of the 2K games.
-Works great with and without the hockey stick peripheral... there is even a slight control modification option for without the stick so you don't need to point the remote downwards all the time (hold C for slapshots, rest is the same).
-Pee-Wee's to Pros! Best career mode idea ever! And it's exclusive to the Wii version! Just like Be A Pro mode in the 'big versions' where you control only your player, but you take your player through Pee-Wee, Bantam, Juniors (CHL) and then make it Pro (AHL\NHL).
-Graphics look way sharper then that found in NHL 2K11. They do use EA's Wii cartoonish look, but overall it looks great.

Cons:
-No online play. It's really too bad. (Downloading online rosters is available though)
-Can't turn off the 'extra' graphics (smoke trail on slapshot, cartoon bubble for body checks, red sparks when hitting the post, etc).
-EA also shows Vancouver Canucks arena as General Motors Place.

So other notes. There is 5 game modes... Play Now (which gives 4 options; peewee and bantam is 3 on 3 kids hockey, juniors is CHL 5 on 5, and pros is AHL\NHL\International at 5 on 5), Peewee to Pro is the career mode, Full Season can be played in AHL or NHL, Stanley Cup Final series between 2 NHL teams of your choice and there is 4 Mini Games (Shooter vs Goalie, Classic Shootout, Free For All & 2 vs 2.)

Overall this is a great job by EA. I'll easily be willing to skip my regular purchase of the HD version of NHL this year to play this. Next year I'll probably be back on my Xbox 360 with NHL 12... but I'm very satisfied with this. 9/10 from me... only Online and few minor fixes would make it a 10/10.

Agree with you on all except the online portion of the game
The online in 2k11 is so bad, that I didn't even play it.. EA concentrate on the local game and they Rock a lot!!!

This game is so much fun!!!!

WAY BETTER than 2k11 that was suppose to be superior from 2k10 and 2k work exclusively on the wii this year and they fail real hard

EA will dominate and hope they did a new slapshot every year

Can't stop playing it since I'm a canadian (we love hockey a lot here ahah)

Only complain is that wayne gretzy on the cover.. they should take somebody else to attract more people..

But.. hey.. EA NICE WORK!!

2k.. you won't have any money fom me anymore (Yes, I bought slapshot!!)

Sorry for my bad english

DjFIL

OP
Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
Few things I've noticed as I've played more in the Pee-Wee's to Pro's Mode.

As you jump from league to league your player experience resets, but as you go up the leagues you have more choices to make. Pee-Wee, you only have to spread your XP between Offence, Defence & Athletic. Bantam, there is 2 sub categories under each main category now. CHL you start to see the full stats range. This also makes the player progression slower as you go up in the leagues since you have to spread the same amount of XP over more categories.

I didn't mind the little leagues being so short, both Pee-Wee and Bantam is 7 games (plus 1 championship game if you win your conference). But I was disappointed to see the lack of detail to the CHL seasons. In Pee-Wee to Pro mode your main CHL season is only 14 games (WHL is 72 games in real life)... (haven't made it this far) but appears that top 8 of each conference of the league makes a playoff system. Not sure if the playoffs will be single games or series. But one main disappointment for me... looking at the trophies available, there is no mention of the Memorial Cup. That is where all 3 CHL league champions get together for a 4 team round-robin tournament (3 champions+host city team) at the end of the season. I wouldn't had minded abbreviated CHL regular seasons, and even abbreviated CHL playoffs as long as there was the Memorial Cup Tournament at the end.

Last to note... when playing Pee-Wee's to Pros... it plays like a light version of Be A Pro on the big consoles. By that I mean there is no line changes. You're always on the ice (unless sitting for a penalty you committed). I would had preferred a line change option where you'd get to the bench and wait for your next shift... or at least an option to turn this on. Doubt it's any difference once you make it to the major's (AHL\NHL)... just hope the AHL\NHL season isn't abbreviated when playing in Pee-Wee to Pro mode.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I played this last night, found the controls rather slugish as I was using wiimote+nunchuck and then realised I hadnt plugged the nunchuck in rofl, played another game with wiimote and nunchuck and this time I did win just, but the first game I was way ahead lol

DjFIL

OP
Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
LOL. Yes they did include the wiimote only 'all-play' mode where the AI controls your movement and you only time shooting, passing and checking. Good for the kids and old folks I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: You need better couch potatoes la +1