Android Nexus 7 Discussion Thread

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
Well after messing with it some I'm please to say that N64oid works on it. The speed is much faster than on my old nook color. Nesoid, snesoid and gcoid also work. But unfortunately gensoid and gameboid don't work. Whenever I try loading a ROM it takes me back out to the apps screen.

I also noticed that adobe flash player doesn't work. Even after I forcefully installed it, some anime streaming sites still don't work. This is disappointing.

And in the latest version of dolphin browser pinch to zoom doesn't work. But it works fine on the chrome browser.
Jellybean dropped flash completely. As for some apps not working not many apps have been updated yet. Still waiting on mine :'(

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got my nexus 7 yesterday...fucking LOVE it :D

Well after messing with it some I'm please to say that N64oid works on it. The speed is much faster than on my old nook color. Nesoid, snesoid and gcoid also work. But unfortunately gensoid and gameboid don't work. Whenever I try loading a ROM it takes me back out to the apps screen.

I also noticed that adobe flash player doesn't work. Even after I forcefully installed it, some anime streaming sites still don't work. This is disappointing.

And in the latest version of dolphin browser pinch to zoom doesn't work. But it works fine on the chrome browser.
Jellybean dropped flash completely. As for some apps not working not many apps have been updated yet. Still waiting on mine :'(

No jellybean didn't drop flash, adobe dropped flash support in All android OS's past 4.0 ICS. You can still sideload the apk and it works fine if you really need shitty flash player

Well now you know not to order anything directly from Google again.

Yes, one order that hasn't shipped for you yet...now you know to NEVER EVER EVER use it again!!

wtf? You don't know how many orders google has to deal with, how many is available, which model he bought, which accessories he bought with them that aren't available yet, or which region he bought it from (and what laws are in his region)

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Mine hasn't even shipped yet :nayps3:
Wtf? I'm sorry bro :( Well now you know not to order anything directly from Google again.
Oh no. My order for a hotly anticipated device that will have a large amount of preorders has not been shipped yet. Clearly the company is bullshitting me and will never ship it.

In case you can't tell that is sarcasm. Takes a while to ship orders. Some come before others. Just a fact of ordering things.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine hasn't even shipped yet :nayps3:
Wtf? I'm sorry bro :( Well now you know not to order anything directly from Google again.
Oh no. My order for a hotly anticipated device that will have a large amount of preorders has not been shipped yet. Clearly the company is bullshitting me and will never ship it.

In case you can't tell that is sarcasm. Takes a while to ship orders. Some come before others. Just a fact of ordering things.

on his defense, some people who have pre-ordered haven't gotten their shit yet, while people like me have ordered and had the UPS guy knock on their door a day later with their shiny new nexus 7 tablet. However they fail to realize there are other factors, like the ones i posted

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regarding everyone who is annoyed that I am annoyed that I haven't gotten my preorder yet - I know this is one of the first major things that Google has sold online physically. I know this is a highly anticipated item. I know Google is new to this whole game. Even taking that into account, logic would denote that those who order from the source - Google, in this case - would end up getting their orders at the same time as or before those who purchased it/pre ordered it form other sources. Had I known I could have walked into a Gamestop or ordered it from a Staples and had it sooner, I probably would have done so.

BUT, Google has given us some information:

An update on Nexus 7 pre-order shipping status

We’ve had incredible demand for our new Nexus 7 tablet and are shipping them as quickly as possible. When your device ships you will receive a notification from Google Play with a shipping tracking number. We will have all orders placed through July 13 processed and shipped soon. Orders placed after July 13 will ship according to the quoted timeframe when you purchased and we will update you with a tracking number when we've shipped. Thanks for your patience.

Below are more specific details by country for devices ordered through July 13. If the below information is not true for you, and you ordered on or before July 13, please reach out to our support team so we can investigate.

In the US:

We’ve shipped all standalone Nexus 7 8GB orders (e.g.: those without a case, charger or Nexus Q) that were ordered through July 13.

By the end of day on July 19 (PDT), we will have shipped all standalone Nexus 7 16GB orders placed through July 11 (PDT), and upgraded these orders to overnight shipping.cWe will process the remaining standalone Nexus 7 16GB orders (those ordered after July 11 and through July 13) by the end of next week with overnight shipping. Orders placed after July 13 (PDT) will ship according to the quoted timeframe when you purchased.

If you ordered your tablet with a case, charger or Nexus Q, your Nexus 7 will ship this week with overnight shipping, in some cases ahead of the rest of your order. But don’t worry, the rest of your order will be on its way soon.

In Canada:

We’ve shipped all Nexus 7 8GB orders. We are in the process of shipping Nexus 7 16GB orders and will ship them in 1-2 weeks.

In the UK:

All Nexus 7 8GB orders will ship by July 20 (BST). All Nexus 7 16GB orders placed through June 30 (BST), will ship by July 20 (BST). The remaining Nexus 7 16GB orders will ship next week.

In Australia:

All Nexus 7 8GB and Nexus 7 16GB orders will be fulfilled by the end of day on July 19 (AEST) and will arrive in 3-5 days.
Google Play Store

Google Play Team [email protected]

Jul 17 (2 days ago)

to me

Hello,

We wanted to send you an update on your Nexus 7 pre-order. We’ve had incredible demand for the new tablet and are shipping them as quickly as possible. If you placed your order by July 11, it will ship this week and we’ve upgraded to overnight shipping so it arrives sooner. Orders placed after July 11, will ship next week with overnight shipping.

If you’d like more detailed information on device shipments, please reference our online Help Center http://support.googl...&answer=2667319

Thanks for your patience. Your Nexus 7 will be on its way soon.

The Google Play Team

© 2012 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you on your Nexus 7 product pre-order.

So, to sum that all up:

US:
8GB (no accessories) through July 13 - shipped
16GB (no accessories) through July 11 - Shipping by end of day July 19 (today, Thursday), free overnight shipping upgrade
16GB (no accessories) July 11 - July 13 - Shipped by end of next week, free overnight shipping upgrade
8GB/16GB after July 13th - shipping according to quoted timeframe at purchase
8GB/16GB case/charger/Nexus Q (assuming that they mean before the 11th for time of order) - Shipping this week, overnight shipping upgrade, rest of order may lag behind a bit.

CANADA:
8GB tablets shipped
16GB tablets shipping in 1-2 weeks

UK:
8GB - shipping by July 20
16GB ordered before June 30 - shipping by July 20
16GB after June 30 - shipping next week

AUSTRALIA:
All Nexus 7 8GB and Nexus 7 16GB orders will be fulfilled by the end of day on July 19 (AEST) and will arrive in 3-5 days.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can still sideload the apk and it works fine if you really need shitty flash player

Can you please tell me how to do that exactly? It won't even let you download it from the play store.
Of course it doesn't work from play store, he said to sideload it. I.e. Find the APK online and install it manually by downloading it direct to your device and then opening the downloaded file.

Bryon15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can still sideload the apk and it works fine if you really need shitty flash player

Can you please tell me how to do that exactly? It won't even let you download it from the play store.
Of course it doesn't work from play store, he said to sideload it. I.e. Find the APK online and install it manually by downloading it direct to your device and then opening the downloaded file.

But I did that already. I downloaded it from here:

*snip*

Installed it but it still didn't work :(

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Bryon15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I did that already. I downloaded it from here:

*snip*

Installed it but it still didn't work :(
That's a version for Android 2.x. Try and find one for 4.0 if you can. I'll have a quick look and see what I can find.

EDIT: There's a guide here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-forum/189897-no-flash-got-you-down-try-fix.html

Hey it worked. Thank you. Now I just have to use Firefox whenever I wanna watch flash. I can deal with that.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey it worked. Thank you. Now I just have to use Firefox whenever I wanna watch flash. I can deal with that.

I think it should work for any browser that supports flash (i.e. not Chrome). e.g. Dolphin or whatever. At least, that's what it says in the guide, by my reading.

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do Google Now and turn-by-turn voice navigation work without the internet? I'm interested in getting a N7 to use as a talkie GPS device, but it'll only work if Google Now and Navigation can function outside of WIFI hotspots.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What exactly does "rooting" do to the nexus 7?

In layman's terms, it lets certain programs get access to more of the phone. It's similar to running a Windows program as an Administrator.

Rooting a phone involves adding a "SU" (superuser) program to the hidden /system directory. Other programs can then use SU to do things that the Android OS would normally block you from doing.

Rooting lets you...
Back up and restoring whole APKs
Run programs like GameCIH (cheat engine)
Delete files, like annoying system sounds
Use a PS3 controller
And much much more!

EDIT: By the way... Here's an image of a product coming along called the "GameKlip". They've made it fit the Nexus 7.

GameKlipTablet.jpg

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rooting gives you complete system access, as Android is based off of Linux.

Examples of what you can do once rooted:

-Install Quick Boot (Reboot) to give yourself a way to reboot the tablet instead of turning it off and on again
-Back up your tablet and all of your apps and data with Titanium Backup and give yourself the ability to restore them should you need to do a factory reset. This also gives you the option to restore your previous DeviceID, which I believe stops the secure element in the NFC chip from bricking when you flash new roms (I seldom do a G Wallet reset when I flash new roms on my Galaxy Nexus (and I flash very frequently), both clean and dirty flashes. I always restore my DeviceID and have not once bricked my secure element.)
-Install Nova Launcher and give it root privileges to be able to put widgets in your app drawer (insignificant in my opinion)
-Browse the root of your device with a file explorer and install or uninstall system apps that you don't want (which Titanium can do, and much easier)

Duh I forgot the biggest one.

Install Rom Toolbox (or edit your build.prop manually) to change the LCD density, which has a similar effect to increasing the resolution on a computer - the lower your drop the DPI, the smaller everything gets, 160 is generally a good size for tablets and the Nexus 7 ships at 213, and at 160 you get the actual Jellybean Tablet UI.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Altering the DPI is a rather hacky method of forcing tablet layout. There is a patch can change to tablet UI by editing a variable in PhoneWindowManager.java, i would wait till that becomes a little til that gets finished and becomes a little more main stream. Anything besides 160 DPI borks market and some other apps i hear.

@the guy who wanted flash, you can use any browser that supports flash...firefox (and aurora), opera, dolphin (except latest version i hear). And rooting gives you root access to your device, basically meaning you have complete access to your device. Not recommended for noobs. It's not as needed on nexus 7 as it comes with no bloatware and crappy UIs manufacturers and carriers slap on their devices.

Do Google Now and turn-by-turn voice navigation work without the internet? I'm interested in getting a N7 to use as a talkie GPS device, but it'll only work if Google Now and Navigation can function outside of WIFI hotspots.

google maps navigation works, but you have to start the navigation with an internet connection (that is, if you start your route at say your house with wifi, navigation will guide you to your destination and will work after you lose internet connection.) It will require a wifi connection to change routes or start a new one. There are alternative navigation apps that work offline however.

As for google now, I believe you can run local commands and searches (you might have do download a pack for your language), but obviously you can't search the web.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: YUH