Hardware Nintendo 2DS - Unable to Charge

Cats869

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello!

First time posting here. I couldn't find a 2DS related subforum (not really popular enough I guess) so I decided to post here since the 2DS is more closely related to the 3DS than other DS handheld console hardware.

So I'm trying to repair my sister's 2DS where the 2DS does not show a charging light when you plug the power cable in. I did some basic things such as making sure the charging port can receive power and made sure that the 2 micro fuses (one near the charging port and one near the battery) are working properly, which is the case. Other than that, I'm not too sure why it's not normally showing the charging light. I tried a different charger cable and still the same issue.

The battery works fine as it can hold a charge fine and I can always manually charge it and can power on the Nintendo 2DS no problem and play fine. It's just the charging aspect of the 2DS that does not work. One interesting thing to note is that while I have the charger plugged into the 2DS and I take the battery out, I do see the orange charging light indicator light up for a few seconds and then goes off. If I put the battery back in while the orange light turns on during that moment, then the orange light will immediately turn off. Not too sure what's going on here.

Hoping someone familiar with 2DS repairs might be able to chime in and offer some insight here.

Thanks so much!

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are tiny surface mount fuses that protect the console from damage. The one that protects the charging aspect has blown and will need to be replaced or bridged (bypassed with solder blob) in order to charge again.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Cats869

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are tiny surface mount fuses that protect the console from damage. The one that protects the charging aspect has blown and will need to be replaced or bridged (bypassed with solder blob) in order to charge again.

Hi driverdis, are you saying there are more than just two micro fuses on the PCB? Currently, I'm only aware of two of them but they both seemed to be fine when I checked with my multimeter.

Thanks.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi driverdis, are you saying there are more than just two micro fuses on the PCB? Currently, I'm only aware of two of them but they both seemed to be fine when I checked with my multimeter.

Thanks.

There should be only 2. If those check out it could be the IC that actually handles the charging that is fried. If that is the case it would be best to replace the motherboard or the whole console since it is still functional enough to do a system transfer to a different console.

Last edited by driverdis,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Cats869

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. I was hoping not to have to replace the whole thing but looks like I'll have to...

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cats869, o2DS motherboards are fairly cheap to replace for around $20. If you're good at soldering and want to salvage that motherboard, the integrated circuit charging chip appears to be located near the game cart slot. Just make sure you backup your game saves + extdata and dump your titles before attempting this.

I can't verify whether or not the o2DS uses the same IC chip as the o3DS. I've seen images of the n3DSXL using CKP TI 48W Z54P [1], o3DS with CKP TI 09W ZF1T [2],
and n3DS with CKP TI 47W Z68L ?? [3]; I couldn't find close enough shots of the o2DS, o3DSXL, and o2DSXL, and there's good reason to believe those other three have different model numbers. The chip sets are a related BQ2407# line from Texas Instrument, and they may or may not be cross compatible.
Is dial up internet still a thing? *56k warning*
o2DS IC charging chip.jpg

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: Cats869

Cats869

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cats869, o2DS motherboards are fairly cheap to replace for around $20. If you're good at soldering and want to salvage that motherboard, the integrated circuit charging chip appears to be located near the game cart slot. Just make sure you backup your game saves + extdata and dump your titles before attempting this.

I can't verify whether or not the o2DS uses the same IC chip as the o3DS. I've seen images of the n3DSXL using CKP TI 48W Z54P, o3DS with CKP TI 09W ZF1T,
and n3DS with CKP TI 47W Z68L ??; I couldn't find close enough shots of the o2DS, o3DSXL, and o2DSXL, and there's good reason to believe those other three have different model numbers. The chip sets are a related BQ2407# line from Texas Instrument, and they may or may not be cross compatible.

Thanks! Maybe I'll go down this route instead and give this a shot... Always preferred to get the most out of an existing system rather then replace it (mostly my tinkering side taking over).

MrTrynex

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
Thanks! Maybe I'll go down this route instead and give this a shot... Always preferred to get the most out of an existing system rather then replace it (mostly my tinkering side taking over).
Were you able to fix it? I have similar problem.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Were you able to fix it? I have similar problem.
The inability to charge the system is usually easy to diagnose. Most commonly it's either the charger or the port that are faulty, with cable faults easily taking the first place in terms of frequency. Unfortunately, unlike some of the other models, the 2DS doesn't have a direct bypass of the port as Nintendo never planned to build a dock for it, so the only two methods of charging it are the port and directly on the battery terminals. If you find that the port is faulty (easy to check with a multimeter), it's an easy part to replace, so no worries.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious