Nintendo 3DS Official USB Charger coming this September!

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Could you summarise one of the reviews from Amazon Japan? Google Translate is terrible at it and left me confused as to why they're being given a bad rating.
Basically, they say they are overpriced given their capacity, and even more when you look at their speeds (class 4 is literally shit tier) :P

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Could you summarise one of the reviews from Amazon Japan? Google Translate is terrible at it and left me confused as to why they're being given a bad rating.
From what I can tell from the reviews, these are the complaints about it:
1. It's overpriced for a Class-4 card (you can easily get equivalent capacity Class-10 cards, or even UHS-U3 cards, for half the price nowadays)
2. The slot on the included microSD-to-SD adapter is too stiff and the build quality isn't to par with what is expected with an official Nintendo product.
3. The capacity is too high to be even remotely useful for the average Japanese gamer anyways, so therefore it isn't worth the high price point.

Last edited by YayMii,
Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
tbh it would make sense that the nes mini would use a 3DS end, plus i think maybe people misinterpreted the statement about the nes min i needing a AC adapter for the USB cord to power the device, seeing as most TV's have a USB port then it kinda makes sense to try skimp on the power supply of the nes mini (from a money making sense, not consumer) but i guess people assumed that meant the console was using a USB port, but they are using a simple 3ds-> USB cable for powering instead ......i wonder if it will have a blue tip :P

sl0ps

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
+1. I'd rather get a first party charger and make sure it works rather than get one that might have a few bypasses in it that could put not only my device but my home at risk, especially if it catches fire.
Not really, the EBGames/Gamestop generic DS Lite/DSi/3DS charger works fine. Just make sure you don't plug it into any USB wall-charger without checking the rating on it and you'll be 100% fine. Any laptop or desktop USB port will be perfectly safe to use.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Not really, the EBGames/Gamestop generic DS Lite/DSi/3DS charger works fine. Just make sure you don't plug it into any USB wall-charger without checking the rating on it and you'll be 100% fine. Any laptop or desktop USB port will be perfectly safe to use.
Out of curiosity - When you say rating - what are you referring to?

Reactions: sl0ps

sl0ps

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity - When you say rating - what are you referring to?
Some very rare cases I've seen some 'intended for one device' wall-chargers that will try to push like 2Amps.

I don't even think that would matter, but I figured I'd add that just as a precaution.

EDIT: I didn't answer you, my bad. I meant the voltage and amps the charger can push. 'Can' push, not necessarily 'will'.

Last edited by sl0ps,

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Just wondering, would it be possible to make a hardmod, so connecting the usb charger to the pc will act as a SD adapter? (Like mobile phones) Connecting charging ports to SD pins.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Some very rare cases I've seen some 'intended for one device' wall-chargers that will try to push like 2Amps.

I don't even think that would matter, but I figured I'd add that just as a precaution.
Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem at all. Devices only pull as much electricity as it needs. I've charged my 3DS several times using a 2.4A-charger and I've confirmed that it only draws about 900mA when charging despite the charger supporting much more.

Reactions: sl0ps

sl0ps

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering, would it be possible to make a hardmod, so connecting the usb charger to the pc will act as a SD adapter? (Like mobile phones) Connecting charging ports to SD pins.
Possible, sure; but not feasible.
Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem at all. Devices only pull as much electricity as it needs. I've charged my 3DS several times using a 2.4A-charger and I've confirmed that it only draws about 900mA when charging despite the charger supporting much more.
Oh, thanks for clearing that up for me!

Last edited by sl0ps,

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I highly doubt that would be possible. The data pins are most likely shorted out like most other charging cables to indicate it's used for charging only.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
To add on this, amperes can be as high as they get, they won't ever damage the unit as it'll just pull the required amount or less in case the unit can't provide the expect current (unless there's something designed wrong in one of the two sides).

On the other hand, voltage works differently. It should always be the same as the original adapter ±5%. Higher voltages will in the best case overheat the components, in the worst case, fry them entirely. Some ICs can also be killed by undervolting, but it's a rarer case.

Reactions: sl0ps and Minox

sl0ps

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not quite. I've actually almost burned myself using a crappy third-party USB charger, so I really wouldn't trust my devices with something that cheap.
I'm sorry to hear that, some stuff can be really poorly made and that's a fact. I'm not looking to argue on the internet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 2 of them :angry:😡 :angry: !