Nintendo Admits 3DS Won't Beat Regular DS on Battery Life

amiga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
TM2-Megatron said:
For such a high price, I'd have hoped Nintendo could at least provide a battery that would provide roughly equaly life to the DS. If there's any more annoying news about this, I may wait until the second hardware revision, myself.
+1

I thought that they were gonna use less powerful versions of the hardware because of the battery and cheaper price and now it seems they are gonna put a cheaper battery but the price is gonna be really expensive, now Nintendo looks like Sony in the past.

HiroshiYamauchi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's not a problem to me. At home, my DSi is always plugged on the charger and i barely use it on places that don't have a wall jack. My charger is also always on my backpack.

Funkenstein

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd expect it to have battery life comparable to the first generation of the PSP. That is the cost of being able to
render both screens at the same time. I imagine that battery life will come up with the 3D effect disabled and the backlight
off, but I'd only assume that it'd increase by maybe five to six hours. (which is more than enough in my opinion.)

What I really want to get a good look at is the bundled charging cradle. I want to see how easily it can be played while
charging, or if standard charging cable can be purchased to make it easy to play as it charges.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Meh, I'm kind of bummed about this.

Considering a lot of the 3DS's new wireless features require you to have the system powered on (sleep mode or otherwise), I do wonder why Nintendo didn't bulk up the battery.

I'm sure the 3DS's battery life won't be terrible. Heck, it may still be great compared to half the other gadgets out there (Smartphones... I'm talking to you!). But I'll still be forever spoiled by the original DS line's seemingly endless life.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
geoflcl said:
I'm sure the 3DS's battery life won't be terrible. Heck, it may still be great compared to half the other gadgets out there (Smartphones... I'm talking to you!). But I'll still be forever spoiled by the original DS line's seemingly endless life.

Any less than 10 will be pretty bad, IMO. I'm used to about 15 or so from my Lite. I'll accept 10 on the 3DS, but any less and I'll just wait for the next model.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as its 3 hrs+ I'd be happy. The next iteration of the 3DS (3DSL or whatever) will probably have a better screen with optimal (at least in comparison) battery life.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's understandable, more power is needed for the 3D and enhanced processors. No revision will give you 15 hours of battery life anyway at least for the 3DS. Also, what's with the complaining, the price is worth it (this is not a system for kids and has titles geared to people who are in their late teens and adults), and you must have known battery life will suffer due to the advanced technology in the 3DS, it happens with most new handhelds.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bladexdsl said:
ProtoKun7 said:
shaunj66 said:
Man I wish battery tech would hurry up and improve. All these new devices could really benefit from them. Imagine not having to charge something for months... I can't wait for the day.
Yeah, I'm the same; the tech itself seems to improve while the batteries stay as they are.

Although there was that article posted here a while ago about a new type of energy storage technology. Might have a look for it.
you mean this? http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/...91029160532.htm

Silicon gel batteries will be a long way off yet
The article doesn't look too familiar, but that could be it. But I knew that whatever it was I read, that was far from practical implementation as well.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
amiga said:
I thought that they were gonna use less powerful versions of the hardware because of the battery and cheaper price and now it seems they are gonna put a cheaper battery but the price is gonna be really expensive, now Nintendo looks like Sony in the past.
They did.
This IS good battery life and a cheap price compared to the full stuff.
Remember the original DS's processing power sucks ass.
It can't even play a normal video file, it needs specially-encoded stuff that looks like ass.

I'm not surprised by this. A better battery takes up more space, weighs more, and puts out more heat.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TM2-Megatron said:
jesterscourt said:
As long as its 3 hrs+ I'd be happy.

Wow; doesn't take much to please some people. Is this 1985?

Three hours would be fine by me too. (though I expect it will probably last about 6 hours normally).
How often do you actually play your DS for longer than 3 hours straight? Is it some huge hassle for you to plug it in and charge it?

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jesterscourt said:
As long as its 3 hrs+ I'd be happy. The next iteration of the 3DS (3DSL or whatever) will probably have a better screen with optimal (at least in comparison) battery life.
To be honest... I'm expecting 3-5 hours.

Which is ridiculous. My DSi is alway on the lowest brightness, and with the Wi-Fi off, and it lasts like 10-15. I feel like I'm recharging it a lot (Actually, I think flashcarts use more battery. Since I got my DSTWO, it feels shorter).

Well, atleast that's longer than the PSP. My PSP lasts like an hour if I'm lucky.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
awssk8er said:
jesterscourt said:
To be honest... I'm expecting 3-5 hours.

Which is ridiculous. My DSi is alway on the lowest brightness, and with the Wi-Fi off, and it lasts like 10-15. I feel like I'm recharging it a lot (Actually, I think flashcarts use more battery. Since I got my DSTWO, it feels shorter).

Well, atleast that's longer than the PSP. My PSP lasts like an hour if I'm lucky.
You're calling your own estimate ridiculous. QED.

In any case, is anyone actually surprised by this? What idiots thought a brand new system with newer power sucking components would have the same battery life as the old one? Batteries haven't come that far, my friends.

Do you realize how good the DS battery life actually is? Losing a few hours off it is no problem. Seriously.

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
It can't even play a normal video file, it needs specially-encoded stuff that looks like ass.

I see some people are a little picky.
closedeyes.gif

Also, it's called an iPlayer.
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: If pills could make us full with all the probiotics we need would being a pill popper still be bad