Hacking Discussion Nintendo banning from CDN

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what thread you have been reading then. I would have loved to have pointed and laughed at the people thinking they had any kind of grounds for legal action (see also my postings in that 3ds thread) but I saw none and instead we had a few reasonable questions, some pub talk style discussions about what laws might actually apply and frustrate thing and now we are current.

Also I thought we had that banning hub for reports of things. That said while I will not call for the reports to be stopped their usefulness is limited at best -- if you are up against a simplistic opponent then reports can narrow things down quickly. Here though it appears we have a sophisticated opponent and as such we can only sit down and do a proper analysis, reports likely then being ignored beyond "it happened".

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well not sure what and how but seeing as I was banned (online and eshop) I looked into freeshopnx and have switched all my xci out for it.
no ban yet on that front. (PS if that happens ... oh well)
This type of ban shuts down all access to the CDN. The reason why people could still download stuff from the CDN despite being banned is because the "Update Download Progress" trick worked although unsure if that too was an oversight by Nintendo or not. I don't know if abusing the latter option will warrant a superban, but I want to say no since people using this method are still using the eShop as intended.

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
This type of ban shuts down all access to the CDN. The reason why people could still download stuff from the CDN despite being banned is because the "Update Download Progress" trick worked although unsure if that too was an oversight by Nintendo or not. I don't know if abusing the latter option will warrant a superban, but I want to say no since people using this method are still using the eShop as intended.
I get all that ;) but well as I was banned earlier (as noted in your thread) ... I have just went in head first to see what happens here. Because well this Switch is flagged and if needed I will move on to a new console.

FYI im 31 titles in when it comes to using FreeshopNX.
I must note that that entails 29 titles which I have a physical game of.
2 are games I dont own, which I did to see if that was at all possible.
And some demos but they are free so Im not counting those.

So what is causing the bans ... for others and currently not for me ... Im simply not sure.

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Rel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A RGH 360 can be unbanned in less than a minute. That doesn't seem harsh at all.
And that requires another key from an unbanned system. Also not every system could be jtagged so most used flashed Xbox 360's. The bans were very harsh for those users and resulted in many people gutswapping systems at stores or selling banned systems to gamestops. Also those jtagged consoles that swap keys were likely to be banned within hours at times once again and require a new key. This was mainly only useful for people hosting modded lobby services for cash.

Last edited by Rel,

stephrk398

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got banned a few weeks ago and I can still download stuff from the CDN with my cert fine. System update says I have the latest, I just downloaded Sonic Mania and updated a game. I still can't access eShop. I'm guessing there was a point where they just went "fuck it" and started blocking CDNs completely from that point forward. It doesn't seem to be retroactive.

I've been very retroactive. You know, d/ling old school roms and stuff.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This will really get interesting when the CDN banned consoles start appearing in second hand markets (i.e Gamestop) :)

I would love to see how this plays out in the long term.
I, however, don't even care, as I pretend to never connect my Switch online and will handle updates and stuff like that as offline installs too.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This will really get interesting when the CDN banned consoles start appearing in second hand markets (i.e Gamestop) :)

I would love to see how this plays out in the long term.
I, however, don't even care, as I pretend to never connect my Switch online and will handle updates and stuff like that as offline installs too.
Nintendo's just as responsible for the used console market as the used games market; its the consumer's and re-seller's responsibilities once its out of Nintendo's hands.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well, it's not like anyone didn't see this coming.
The good news is, people can use a public cert for all their downloading needs so their cert (hopefully) doesn't get banned.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's not like anyone didn't see this coming.
The good news is, people can use a public cert for all their downloading needs so their cert (hopefully) doesn't get banned.

Those won't last for long, and no one's going to want to give up their own either past a point. Also they can track you around trying to hide behind the cert shift because the cert info is still in the ticket on your system.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Those won't last for long, and no one's going to want to give up their own either past a point. Also they can track you around trying to hide behind the cert shift because the cert info is still in the ticket on your system.
They won't last long, but there's gonna be an endless stream of them.
As for that last part, we'll probably figure out a way to stop the telemetry eventually.

Reactions: Don Jon

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They won't last long, but there's gonna be an endless stream of them.
As for that last part, we'll probably figure out a way to stop the telemetry eventually.

See I don't know how true that is, who's going to want to offer their own cert if it means a guaranteed superban very quickly? Why risk it for little personal benefit and massive personal risk?

Can't go out and buy a replacement easily anymore either. Patched units make getting prodinfo and certs basically impossible for now.

QRC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Still no one banned from using own cert for CDN? Freeshop etc?

Yet we don't know how they ban.
Maybe by the number of downloads...that public cert had millions of downloads on its cout :D
Could be using own CERT is safe, if not abused too hard. If they track and check if your cert downloads a bought copy or not, then this method is propably doomed.

Make sure to backup your CERT, if your switch breaks....

Last edited by QRC,
Reactions: Don Jon

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
See I don't know how true that is, who's going to want to offer their own cert if it means a guaranteed superban very quickly? Why risk it for little personal benefit and massive personal risk?

Can't go out and buy a replacement easily anymore either. Patched units make getting prodinfo and certs basically impossible for now.
Your guess is as good as mine. Not everyone cares about online I guess. People kept giving away their non-banned 3DS LocalFriendCodeSeed_B even knowing it would end up getting banned.

QRC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Extra! Extra! Nintendo Switch's used market somehow quadruples in size!

Well they said they want to double the console sales ;)

But we are paying already for piracy. It's all calculated into software prices.
Switch games are 3x more expensive than PS4 games and 5x compared to PC.

Last edited by QRC,

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still no one banned from using own cert for CDN? Freeshop etc?

Yet we don't know how they ban.
Maybe by the number of downloads...that public cert had millions of downloads on its cout :D
Could be using own CERT is safe, if not abused too hard. If they track and check if your cert downloads a bought copy or not, then this method is propably doomed.

Make sure to backup your CERT, if your switch breaks....

I don't think you realize how large a million is, let alone millions.

Your guess is as good as mine. Not everyone cares about online I guess. People kept giving away their non-banned 3DS LocalFriendCodeSeed_B even knowing it would end up getting banned.

Always had ample and cheap supply for 3DSes to do whatever with, not really the case here as this flaw which lets you get at this info is now gone and its far, far easier to track misbehaving certs now than it ever was on 3DS. Switches are hefty investments, even more now that g1s are done production.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3