Homebrew Nintendo copy right?

Can Nintendo pull the website 3dsthemse.com down?

• Total voters

MaNiAlJoWo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You got me... I forgot the guy was trying to get the answers from the Nintendo Lawyers that hang out here. Or possibly the lawyers that are expert at copyright law.

He was trying to get answers from people which have good tips or something else.
Here is a tip for you. If you can't say anything important to the topic, say nothing!

RachelB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mentioned the LP case, and they mostly went after those that monetized videos and put a quote from Nintendo showing their goodwill to others using their IPs for free. As for the second case, read Nintendo's legal section carefully: Nintendo never specifically says in their legal FAQ that emulators are illegal, just that they are a big threat to IPs because they CAN play pirated software. They only specifically mentioned downloading ROMs from the web as illegal, NAND dumps they didn't acknowledge. The legal writer over at Nintendo did a great job at getting the reader to think that emulators are illegal (to avoid them) without actually saying it since emulators alone are technically legal, and it's reasonable for them to do such as emulators, again, can play pirated software.

Ultimately, Nintendo is one of the more permissive companies and welcome other people using their intellectual property for non-profit "enjoyment and challenge". If you really want to see copyright paranoia, check out Square Enix. Regular takedowns of free AMVs with only their game footage, C&Ding any fanworks they come across (look up Chrono Trigger Resurrection), and more.
No, they quite explicitly lie about laws, such as

Are Game Copying Devices Illegal?
Yes. Game copiers enable users to illegally copy video game software onto floppy disks, writeable compact disks or the hard drive of a personal computer. They enable the user to make, play and distribute illegal copies of video game software which violates Nintendo's copyrights and trademarks. These devices also allow for the uploading and downloading of ROMs to and from the Internet. Based upon the functions of these devices, they are illegal.

People Making Nintendo Emulators and Nintendo ROMs are Helping Publishers by Making Old Games Available that are No Longer Being Sold by the Copyright Owner. This Does Not Hurt Anyone and Allows Gamers to Play Old Favorites. What's the Problem?
The problem is that it's illegal.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
oh ok, thats good! I know how they make a huge thing out of YouTube and such

agreed

Mrmario does tons of Gateway shit tutorials (which I will be happily referring back to once my Gateway arrives) and he gets off scott free....over 13,000 subs mind you.

I have 3,000+ subs and I ONE Acekard 2i DSCOVERED TUTORUAL (not even showing ROMS) and Nintendo's Anti-piracy bitch BAF gave me a fucking strike...

DoJo_Master

OP
Trophies
Website
www.3dsthemes.com
XP
Country
Canada
Im thinking of putting up an FAQ on my website explaining how to install a custom theme, I may be referencing gateway/ninjhax... would that put it even more at risk? (this is my last question)

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Im thinking of putting up an FAQ on my website explaining how to install a custom theme, I may be referencing gateway/ninjhax... would that put it even more at risk? (this is my last question)

It might make you more of a target... Whether it's enough to piss Ninty, probably not. Remember, the biggest issue is you can't afford to say no if they pester you.

OTOH... If it's really just how to copy a few files to install, I can't see how it could be any worse.
I should really have a look to change my theme too. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo,