OP
Trophies
Website
compfaqz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
India
wiiumontage2.jpg

Katsuya Eguchi, the producer behind Wii Sports has urged people to try to refrain from comparing Nintendo Wii U with Microsoft’s Xbox 360 and Sony’s PlayStation 3. Eguchi believes that rather than focusing on graphical capabilities people should look at the thing that makes the Wii U unique; the touch screen tablet controller.[/p]

QUOTE said:
“Rather than compare specs with Microsoft and Sony, I’d like for people to view this as a different type of machine altogether. For me personally, what’s most important is what makes Wii U original, and that’s the controller.”

Source

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm all about story (followed by gameplay), so graphics aren't a big deal. It does bother me though that they are telling us to ignore certain aspects. At E3 they said only look at games, it doesn't matter what the console stats are. That just made me feel like they were hiding some huge drawback. Adding that to the terrible name (I hate saying it, because you have to do a long pause between Wii and U or it sounds like a siren), I was very annoyed with Nintendo. All of this "don't think about the stats" stuff isn't helping.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I can understand his point of view. As a producer, he obviously knows the strengths of the wiiu and how to use it to make a good game. And I have all faith that he will deliver...

...but that being said: this is just stupid. Of course the console will be compared to the competition. Reviewers will do it because their readers expect them to, and said readers expect them to because they don't want to regret their purchase. Asking people not to compare is like asking the rain not to fall on your head: you may have good reason to, but you're a fool if you expect a response.

Oh, and the Streisand effect says hi.

Caderyn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me this goes back to the "PC or console, which is better?" debates. Many people want better graphics, but I, like JoostinOnline, enjoy the story of the game. If I can keep coming back to it, it's a darn good game. When I read about the tablet controller I nearly crapped my pants (metaphorically.. I'm housebroken); I was so excited.

I'm intrigued to see how high Nintendo raises the bar of console gaming with this new system.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@Caderyn: don't get me wrong, but why are you so excited over the controller?
Oh, I can think of a few reasons it can help sell the story (subtitles for RPG's on the controller instead of the screen? wiiware that turns the tablet in an e-book reader?*), but the E3 presentation showed little to nothing in that aspect.

I'm intrigued to see how high Nintendo raises the bar of console gaming with this new system.

You DO know that this phrase is mostly coined by graphic addicts, right? Breakthroughs in standards of storytelling in video games don't origin from better hardware but from commercial successes. To take the analogy to real writers: it's not because you can have a fancier cover that the actual content is better as well.

*come to think of it: nintendo can save the cost of a printed manual for games in favor of a colourfull "PDF" that can be browsed intuitively with the controller

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps I'm just being silly, but...

If ol' Nintendo wanted to curb our insatiable urge to compare the power of the Wii U, they probably shouldn't have shown demonstrations at E3 that were obviously meant to demonstrate the power of the Wii U, such as the Cherry Blossom scene, and, more notably, that splendid Zelda demo.
tongue.gif

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I agree it's stupid and pointless to compare specs.
Look at Xbox360 and PS3.
Surely they both have exclusives games, but multiplatform games look and nearly identical.
Comparing the screenshots and measuring how many particles effect or 2x,3x...antialiasing on which hardware looks better is pointless.
The end user, will get pretty much the same game experience on both system
Surely there are other factors that will make it pick a version over another: How strong and stable is the online connectivity, smoother framerate versus choppy, screen tearing scrolling or even loading times.
Since the WiiU will be the newest, smartest kid on the block for a couple of years, I expect faster loading times ( Nintendo always does it ) a decent online experience (better then the Wii anyway ), and a smoother framerate ( since the WiiU will be slightly more powerful I expect multiplatform games to run smoother ).
Let alone the uniqueness of the controller, that could be put to a very good use, and the exclusive first part games that I grew up with and love so much.
I'm sold already.
But comparing specs at this stage of the game, is really childish.
Surely 20 years ago the SNES graphics were a huge improvement ofer the 8-bit consoles of the time, but were pretty close to the Genesis capabilities, and most games could be ported over and played just the same. What's the point in comparing them ?
The games are what matters. Creativity, gameplay and 1080p will make a great system.

Caderyn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Caderyn: don't get me wrong, but why are you so excited over the controller?

...Sry for reviving an older thread.. Haven't checked GBAtemp in a while and just noticed I can now use Tapatalk! XD
I'm excited to see what they do with it. I like new, but, for example, I hated on Kinect for a while because I figured "How far will they REALLY be able to go with that besides dancing and working out?" and it's still a craze and I want one lol.

The new controller is something that hasn't been done before besides Sega Dreamcast, but that didn't really count as a game attachment. Basically what Nintendo did was enlarge a gameboy color, gave it a bunch of sensors, and made it wireless. GameCube had that whole setup where you can transfer Link to the island on your GB, but it didn't seem to take off too well in the games they released with it. I feel like they're taking that idea and making it more practical and not so much a somewhat pointless side mission in a game.

You DO know that this phrase is mostly coined by graphic addicts, right? Breakthroughs in standards of storytelling in video games don't origin from better hardware but from commercial successes.

.....I expect faster loading times ( Nintendo always does it ) a decent online experience (better then the Wii anyway ), and a smoother framerate ( since the WiiU will be slightly more powerful I expect multiplatform games to run smoother )....................The games are what matters. Creativity, gameplay and 1080p will make a great system.

That's basically what I was getting at. To me, it doesn't have to look as real as possible, mainly because I have astigmatism and no glasses, therefore I can't even see real life correctly lol! But I do want fast loading times, smooth transitions, less chop, good multiplayer, etc. I don't need a billion textures. That's what I was saying with "raising the bar", just to clarify.

*come to think of it: nintendo can save the cost of a printed manual for games in favor of a colourfull "PDF" that can be browsed intuitively with the controller

That's a d@** good idea!

(I hope this post is ordered correctly... I'm editing from my phone...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: You need better couch potatoes la +1