Nintendo Sues Owner of 2 Prominent ROM-Hosting Sites

nintendo logo.png
Nintendo has filed a lawsuit through the federal court in the state of Arizona against the owner of 2 major ROM hosting sites, Jacob Mathias, and his Arizona-based company, Mathias Designs L.L.C. The company is being sued for unfair competition, as well as trademark and copyright infringement for featuring readily accessible retro ROMs, proprietary BIOS software, and copyrighted musical recordings and sounds.

This includes the copyrighted BIOS files for the Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Color, and Nintendo DS systems. Defendants also make a vast library of unauthorized copies of Nintendo’s copyrighted musical works

These contents are reportedly uploaded and maintained directly by Mathias's company on a regular basis. In the motion, Nintendo also claims that the defendant is profiteering off of the popularity and subsequent ad-revenue of his sites, with one site regularly reaching over 17 million visitors per month. This is popularity gained, of course, exclusively from providing Nintendo's copyrighted content, that being both in the form of software as well as copyrighted visual logos to advertise the content.

Under the count of "unfair competition", Nintendo claims that:
Defendants’ conduct constitutes unfair competition that is contrary to honest practice in commercial matters under Arizona common law. Specifically, Defendants have traded on Nintendo’s reputation for quality and integrity in order to pass off their unauthorized copies of Nintendo video games and other copyrighted works to consumers. By advertising these copies as genuine Nintendo products, Defendants have actively misled consumers about the true source of these copies.

Nintendo is seeking compensation of $150,000 in statutory damages, on top of up to $2,000,000 for the infringement of each Nintendo trademark. Because there are more than 140 copyrighted titles and 40 trademarks reportedly being infringed, this could possibly result in upwards of $100 million in damages when totaled. In addition, they are demanding that Mathias provide them information on the sources of any and all infringing material hosted on his sites. Of course, Nintendo also seeks to shut both sites down with this motion. Mathias himself has yet to publicly respond to the allegations.

:arrow:Source

Attachments

• nintendo seal.jpg
    nintendo seal.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 152
  • nintendo seal.jpg
    nintendo seal.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 139

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You again..............

There you go, making excuses on why you should pirate. If you already own the game, why do you need to download it again? Even if you sold it, why should you get a free copy? JUST PIRATE THE ROMS, no excuses.

Whatever you say. But do a favor and don't type in all caps like that, doesn't really help your case. I pirate whatever the hell I pirate, and I really don't give a damn that it's just Snes games. Somebody spank me for being a naughty boy :rolleyes:

You're right, I don't need an excuse, but why are you so bloody condescending to those who do? Did they personally assault you to warrant such a reaction?

Last edited by the_randomizer,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
or use usenet everything is on there forever :P
Have you got a good provider for such things? Giganews and astraweb have been removing things for years (it really picked up during the 360 era) and basically everybody else feeds from them, and probably still has low retention rather than the unlimited stuff others see. Or are we having to use hidden and non obvious NZB sites?

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Good rom sites come and go.. That's exactly why I have complete romsets stored on a few drives. I'd like to avoid finding new sites everytime companies send out cease and desist orders.
This is why I privately host the entire Nintendo library up to the NDS. When Nintendo started C&D'ing popular sites last year, I grabbed everything before it was all gone.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
though i somewhat understand the situation who comes up with the damn numbers? no body unless your bill gates or DJT you can't pay that amount how will nintendo get it like if i got sued they'd be lucky to get $400 I'm so poor I have no life/medical insurance so they can't withdraw from that and all my belongings are probably under 1k so yah how the heck they'll get $100mil+ from me at least

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
though i somewhat understand the situation who comes up with the damn numbers? no body unless your bill gates or DJT you can't pay that amount how will nintendo get it like if i got sued they'd be lucky to get $400 I'm so poor I have no life/medical insurance so they can't withdraw from that and all my belongings are probably under 1k so yah how the heck they'll get $100mil+ from me at least
They infer it from assumed ad revenue and other gainings. Based on the amount of traffic, the owner "should" be able to cough it up from the assumed ad revenue. If not, he goes to prison, and case closed.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well hope the guy never drops the soap then btw i though the max financial penalty (at least for movies) was $250,000 USD how can game companies make the rules and not stick to the copyright penelty guidelines

edit: here it is

Penalties for copyright infringement include civil and criminal penalties. In general, anyone found liable for civil copyright infringement may be ordered to pay either actual damages or "statutory" damages affixed at not less than $750 and not more than $30,000 per work infringed. For "willful" infringement, a court may award up to $150,000 per work infringed. A court can, in its discretion, also assess costs and attorneys' fees. For details, see Title 17, United States Code, Sections 504, 505.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ok so how many offense is in the docket? each offense is 5 yrs

Last edited by chrisrlink,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol