Nintendo Swapnote shutdown world-wide

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It sucks, but I think that MiiVerse and the new Network ID will come out on the 3ds soon ... if that's the case, we won't need swapnote since miiverse has prettymuch the same features.

Theconejo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This reminds me of these dirt jumps we had about 15 years ago. They were in the woods behind an apartment complex. One day a young boy decides to ride off some of the bigger jumps and falls, breaking his arm. The parents called the town counsel and had the jumps demolished. So many people were involved with the upkeep and daily riding. Really terrible no one in power thought of everyone else affected before giving the order to plow them down.

I bet some parent saw a penis drawing on little Jimmy's 3ds and called Nintendo.

Edit: and I agree that miiverse is probably almost ready, seeing that they could have cut off swapnote at any point up until now. My guess is with the new zelda some new features are coming.

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing pedophilia was involved here. Maybe not actively between adults and youth but probably youth exchanging with youth like sexting which is illegal at least as far as I know in the US and the UK.

This sucks because I had a couple people I would exchange gaming related photos with and had a blast doing so. Always takes some idiot kids to mess up something good. Oops.. look where I am.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping when I clicked on this thread that people (and by people, I mean you guys) would support this. It's bad enough that these kinds of drawings are shifting around the internet; now they have to run it in the 3DS system where a lot of young kids use this feature. I don't know about you all, but I don't want my 10 year old seeing penis pictures or big boobs or any shit like that. Just... fuck it. Here's a simple rule: don't exchange inappropriate content unless it's with your immediate friends. And can someone tell me if there's a rule saying that if you're under a certain age, you can't see it? Kind of like when a video gets flagged on Youtube. Someone under 18 cannot view the content. Maybe Nintendo will implement this idea if they haven't already. I can't stop you from uploading this content, so I wish you could show some courtesy.

At least Nintendo gives a shit about their customers, unlike Microsoft. Rampant cheating goes on in Xbox Live and Microsoft doesn't do a damn thing about it. Nintendo wants its customers to have the best gaming experience they can, which is one reason why I love them. They hear about rumors that inappropriate content is being viewed by minors and take action. And severity: do any of you remember when the shoutbox was shut down? Let me toggle your memory: inappropriate content was shared and fights/insults ensued.
So does this mean I can't send random 10 year olds drawings of penises anymore? Damn :angry: WAY TO GO GUYS, WAY TO RUIN IT FOR ME :angry:

NOT funny.

Disturbing. Knowing that Nintendo checks message content... hmmm.
Can't tell if you're joking or not. In any case, nothing is private on the internet. Anyone (and that includes Nintendo) can know about anything at any time.
^10 years olds shouldn't know how to add random friendcodes on the internet.
Key word being should. Pretty flimsy excuse, if you ask me.

Reactions: jagerstaffel

phantastic91

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wow its probably been like a year since I came back to gbatemp. Just wanted to say thanks to Cannonfolder (3ds profile name) who forwarded me along with a lot of other members stationarys from swapnote every time a new one came out. It sucks that Nintendo shut this down and it's a little embarrassing. I guess every Nintendo product from now on wont have a feature like this. I guess Nintendo forgot they have something called parental control. T_T. alright see you guys next year ;D. I hope Cannonfolder sees this. Thanks again dude.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Who cares. All you fucking members I had registered on my 3DS forced me to delete Swap Note a long time ago because you wouldn't stop spamming me with stupid messages or crap drawings. I also deleted all of you too.

This is kinda how i feel, just slightly less agressively. I gave up checking it because people sent me such useless stuff and 2 guys in paticular just spammed stuff that im reading online anyways like they were in charge of some kind of news feed. Yeah... you aint. I just wish i could of filtered who could send me messages on it without deleting them from my friends list but nope, no option for that. No real loss from it being shutdown.

I just hope they replace it with miiverse.

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
This is fantastically stupid. I mean, what did they expect?

I only used it for sending offensive messages to my brother (and vice versa) anyway, plus SpotPass, as far as I know, can only be used for people on your friend's list. Seems absolutely stupid. Oh well. I don't care. I've already got it downloaded.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
That's what you get when you add random people as friends... Bought another 3DS yesterday with my girlfriend and since she left today for 5 months I was hoping that I could use swapnote to send her some funny drawings/pictures... Too bad.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This means there is almost literally no point to this app anymore. You're not going to find anyone who has Streetpass enabled for their Swapnote/Letter Box, and nobody talks to random strangers for no reason other than to spread the inappropriate content that Nintendo hates so much.

How about Nintendo just ban users who frequently post inappropriate content?
(Isn't that even part of the agreement anyway?)

I am reminded of the old "teacher punishes everyone because one kid acts up" situation. I have no use for this app anymore. None at all.

This would be one of those rare times when making a change.org petition wouldn't be retarded. (Still don't abuse it, 12 year olds).

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
It sucks, but I think that MiiVerse and the new Network ID will come out on the 3ds soon ... if that's the case, we won't need swapnote since miiverse has prettymuch the same features.

If this were true, don't you think they should be offering a way to 'transfer' your SwapNote's to Miiverse? And in that same move, ban users who've been causing this shutdown, leading to a better community?

This seems like the hijinks of a select few ruining it for the masses. Great going there, Nintendo!

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like a huge overreaction. I mean, Verizon, et al don't shut down texting/etc because of all the crap people do over it, which would be the exact same thing. Guess its good I never bothered to use swapnote.

Edit You do have to wonder why they can't just ban people from swapnote. It has to be tied to the console ID, so it shouldn't be hard to do. Granted, you would have to moderate it like miiverse for it to be effective.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping when I clicked on this thread that people (and by people, I mean you guys) would support this. It's bad enough that these kinds of drawings are shifting around the internet; now they have to run it in the 3DS system where a lot of young kids use this feature. I don't know about you all, but I don't want my 10 year old seeing penis pictures or big boobs or any shit like that. Just... fuck it. Here's a simple rule: don't exchange inappropriate content unless it's with your immediate friends. And can someone tell me if there's a rule saying that if you're under a certain age, you can't see it? Kind of like when a video gets flagged on Youtube. Someone under 18 cannot view the content. Maybe Nintendo will implement this idea if they haven't already. I can't stop you from uploading this content, so I wish you could show some courtesy.

At least Nintendo gives a shit about their customers, unlike Microsoft. Rampant cheating goes on in Xbox Live and Microsoft doesn't do a damn thing about it. Nintendo wants its customers to have the best gaming experience they can, which is one reason why I love them. They hear about rumors that inappropriate content is being viewed by minors and take action. And severity: do any of you remember when the shoutbox was shut down? Let me toggle your memory: inappropriate content was shared and fights/insults ensued.

NOT funny.

Can't tell if you're joking or not. In any case, nothing is private on the internet. Anyone (and that includes Nintendo) can know about anything at any time.
Key word being should. Pretty flimsy excuse, if you ask me.

Holy shit dude how old are you? If you're so worried about "your" "10 year old" seeing crudely drawn dicks, then you should probably pull him out of school, because, newsflash, 10 year olds are constantly yelling about balls and drawing dicks on shit. If you think that the possibility of children seeing inappropriate things warrants taking a service down, you should probably get rid of your internet, phone service, mailbox, tv, radio, and your child's eyes. There are significantly better ways to fix this problem, like making sure your fucking kid isn't adding random strangers on their DS, using parental controls, or just, you know, monitoring your kid's electronics usage instead of demanding that the entire world act like a fucking babysitter. Jesus christ.

If anything this serves as a nice reminder that Nintendo is in the toy business these days with a minor pandering to gamers.

octopus

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Oh now, life will never be the same and I’m not joking. I really enjoyed using the Swapnote! I will miss my foreign friends and all those nice japanese gurls who I’ve been sending 3D photos of my penis were really funny to chat to with all that kawaii drawings and things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ah, I see.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i wasnt even born when fox kids/jetix was alive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also a couple years ago latin american fox got renamed to star channel
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yes?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry
    i thought you didnt read the last couple messages before quoting you agin
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ah sonic x, that show is valid
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (of course the mf with a sonic pfp would say that 😭)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you are not dumb or stupid, you need to stop saying that, you are very smart, even about alot of things I have no clue about. We all love you here, like a big family.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah @BigOnYa love me so much he started yelling at me for having my shoes on in the bed when he caught me with his wife
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, I don't want mud crumbs in my bed, and btw you left without paying your tab. Ill add it to next month but getting tired of extending.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I hope silent hill 2 turns out good
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I seen that, hope so too, the first was so epic back then.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Didn't look into much is it just a remake
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Only thing drive me crazy is all these new horror games nowadays is its so dark, all time. I can't even play them. I understand they trying to create spooky but be creative a little, not just darkness with pop out scare scenes.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, either that or mascot horror
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    gonna watch gintama for the first time
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, I always turn the lights up on those lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Two studio lights for one horror game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Couch casting for horror
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mig switch already has a v2 lol
  • OGSniper @ OGSniper:
    How we doin' in here?
    OGSniper @ OGSniper: How we doin' in here?