Hardware Nintendo Switch has paid online services similar to Xbox Live and Playstation

Do you like the idea of a paid Nintendo online service?

• Total voters

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
remember that different countries sometimes have after tax prices, as opposed to before tax prices.

This isn't really only because of the tax. It's because in EU they've chosen to let the retailers decide the prices instead of giving an official price. It's insanity that'd you'd be 1,5-2x cheaper out importing from Asia/Canada etc. including tax & shipping instead of buying it in your own country for an honest price. Also it's often the case that they just paste the £/€ in front of the japanese/us dollar of the company price instead of giving European an honest conversion. So what do you get, retailers buying/importing cheaply with tax exemptions/benefits & charging customers an overpriced product. In most other countries the price is pretty equally converted compared to the Japanese price.

I'm sick of game selling companies abusing this. Especially with things like digital games. When Nintendo officially announced the prices it did not only set the "maximum" price after tax in that currency, it also makes people more aware of these practices, so it'd be harder to get ripped off. So in the end you often see that after a while some prices will drastically drop as no one is buying it, because now that more people are able to compare prices on the internet import/ have family/friends oversea that can help them out getting the product cheaper. I've seen the switch pre order price go hundreds of euro's down in my country after the official price announcements, but because Nintendo didn't put a price for European market there're still retailers trying to rip off people/abusing the customers that don't know any better. Had Nintendo given a official price you'd probably seen more competition below to up the price Nintendo announced like normal & now that's harder to do hence the different prices. In Europe there's free import between European countries, so difference in tax in a country won't matter much in comparison to import from outside of Europe. A lot of people import from US/Asia because of this now, which ends up hurting their local retailers. I often like to buy something that's expensive locally for a good price, but these greedy retailers that overcharge ruined it for me. I often or end up waiting till I see a nice deal/import in case it's not available/overpriced depending on the product like it's also often the case in my country.

About the paid services I don't like any of them much. I don't like the ps4/xbox either, but Nintendo's offer seems much worser atm. It's not a smart move as now ppl would probably rather buy a ps4 pro/ maybe upcoming xbox instead. The MS & Sony services are quite alike unlike what Nintendo has on their site now about the paid services. It's gettungvtiring uf you have to get a sub to play online with friends on condoles if you have multiple consoles. The MS & Sony pay themself out so I sometimes bought them. Nintendo has yet to prove the system is even really worth getting + they have a lot more to make up for unlike those other 2.

Last edited by Angely,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This isn't really only because of the tax. It's because in EU they've chosen to let the retailers decide the prices instead of giving an official price. It's insanity that'd you'd be 1,5-2x cheaper out importing from Asia/Canada etc. including tax & shipping instead of buying it in your own country for an honest price. Also it's often the case that they just paste the £/€ in front of the japanese/us dollar of the company price instead of giving European an honest conversion. So what do you get, retailers buying/importing cheaply with tax exemptions/benefits & charging customers an overpriced product. In most other countries the price is pretty equally converted compared to the Japanese price.

I'm sick of game selling companies abusing this. Especially with things like digital games. When Nintendo officially announced the prices it did not only set the "maximum" price after tax in that currency, it also makes people more aware of these practices, so it'd be harder to get ripped off. So in the end you often see that after a while some prices will drastically drop as no one is buying it, because now that more people are able to compare prices on the internet import/ have family/friends oversea that can help them out getting the product cheaper. I've seen the switch pre order price go hundreds of euro's down in my country after the official price announcements, but because Nintendo didn't put a price for European market there're still retailers trying to rip off people/abusing the customers that don't know any better. Had Nintendo given a official price you'd probably seen more competition below to up the price Nintendo announced like normal & now that's harder to do hence the different prices. In Europe there's free import between European countries, so difference in tax in a country won't matter much in comparison to import from outside of Europe. A lot of people import from US/Asia because of this now, which ends up hurting their local retailers. I often like to buy something that's expensive locally for a good price, but these greedy retailers that overcharge ruined it for me. I often or end up waiting till I see a nice deal/import in case it's not available/overpriced depending on the product like it's also often the case in my country.
Yeah i can second this. Seen a couple of shops price the switch 350 Euro after the anouncement and some 329 euro wich is 350 dollars. Shitty move from Nintendo !

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Funny thing happened in UK, the retailer GameSeek decided to put up the pre-order price of £198.50 and instead of chickening out they're honouring the pre-orders which is really surprising as retailers wouldn't normally do this. The normal RRP is £279.99 which is more or less about the same as the US price after the Sales Tax, I assume.

I hate that it only has 32GB internal storage but I don't plan on buying digital content anyway.

Reactions: Deleted User

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Funny thing happened in UK, the retailer GameSeek decided to put up the pre-order price of £198.50 and instead of chickening out they're honouring the pre-orders which is really surprising as retailers wouldn't normally do this. The normal RRP is £279.99 which is more or less about the same as the US price after the Sales Tax, I assume.

I hate that it only has 32GB internal storage but I don't plan on buying digital content anyway.
actually £279.99 is 340 dollars. Is it 340 dollars after sales tax ?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be fair to Nintendo, the UK price is a fair conversion from the NA price.

$299 in the US is without sales tax.

$299 = £245 + 20% = £294.

The fact that's it's £280 after VAT, means it's pre-vat price is £233 or $283.

UK price is a fair conversion. Cheaper than the US price before vat is added. It's not Nintendo's fault that the UK has 20% VAT to add on, while NA has much lower and in some cases no sales tax.

Can criticise for a lot of things, but I don't think the UK price is unfair.

Whether it's too expensive compared to other consoles is another matter, but the conversion from the NA price is fair.

Last edited by Armadillo,

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Your logic is by far the worst.

3. Steam is truly an invalid argument. It's a platform for devs to host their games. They make TONS of money from the devs and advertising. Not to mention their hardware line.

It's still not an excuse. Diablo 3 is a fully online single player game where everything is stored server side(to prevent piracy), yet Blizzard doesn't charge anything extra. Not to mention that a company like Nintendo always takes into account the server costs when they put a price tag on a game, yet with the introduction of the new paid service the prices seem to have actually gone up instead of down. BOTW 60$, 12Switch 50$.

The problem for me personally about the paid subscription is the fact that it forces you to play, as in if you don't play - your subscription is wasting away, so if you're someone casual like myself that bought Switch just to be able to play a few exclusives like Pokemon and obviously online is a must for such games, and then you simply don't have time to play you will have wasted most of your money/subscription. I wouldn't mind if their system was fair, like you would get a 365 days timer, and it would only start counting down whenever you went online, but obviously they're not going to do this.

Last edited by Ra1d,

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We shouldn't have to pay more than $0 a month, which is much better.

You know, I would even setting for playing online for 5 or 6 hours a day for free, for most titles.

Last edited by KingVamp,

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only games I really ever played online was Splatoon, and C.O.D. when it used to be fun. I tried Mario Kart and Smash a few times; they were fun, but more often than not, I would just play offline games (or not using online features in games that have them all that often). I prefer local multi.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This isn't really only because of the tax. It's because in EU they've chosen to let the retailers decide the prices instead of giving an official price. It's insanity that'd you'd be 1,5-2x cheaper out importing from Asia/Canada etc. including tax & shipping instead of buying it in your own country for an honest price. Also it's often the case that they just paste the £/€ in front of the japanese/us dollar of the company price instead of giving European an honest conversion. So what do you get, retailers buying/importing cheaply with tax exemptions/benefits & charging customers an overpriced product. In most other countries the price is pretty equally converted compared to the Japanese price

About the paid services I don't like any of them much. I don't like the ps4/xbox either, but Nintendo's offer seems much worser atm. It's not a smart move as now ppl would probably rather buy a ps4 pro/ maybe upcoming xbox instead. The MS & Sony services are quite alike unlike what Nintendo has on their site now about the paid services. It's gettungvtiring uf you have to get a sub to play online with friends on condoles if you have multiple consoles. The MS & Sony pay themself out so I sometimes bought them. Nintendo has yet to prove the system is even really worth getting + they have a lot more to make up for unlike those other 2.

this has little to do with nintendo allowing retailers to set the price in the eu and everything to do with the fact that retailers have the right to do so. fair competition and all. while the us has a law forcing the suggested retail price to be almost binding (though of course, there's all that stuff with lower priced special deals) they usually do get within 10€ of us price after conversion and (after tax).

as for paid service, it remains the truth, people have complained about nintendo servers being laggy ever since the wii got online functionality and the only real way to fix this is money and limiting server access.
and yeah, i bet ppl will have so much fun playing splatoon and mario kart on their ps4 pro.

no one forces you to pay for online all the time. no one forces you to play online on three consoles at the same time. no one forces you to have three consoles

FrostyDialga

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
this has little to do with nintendo allowing retailers to set the price in the eu and everything to do with the fact that retailers have the right to do so. fair competition and all. while the us has a law forcing the suggested retail price to be almost binding (though of course, there's all that stuff with lower priced special deals) they usually do get within 10€ of us price after conversion and (after tax).

as for paid service, it remains the truth, people have complained about nintendo servers being laggy ever since the wii got online functionality and the only real way to fix this is money and limiting server access.
and yeah, i bet ppl will have so much fun playing splatoon and mario kart on their ps4 pro.

no one forces you to pay for online all the time. no one forces you to play online on three consoles at the same time. no one forces you to have three consoles
its only a problem if they put Pokemon on this thing and can developers make is so certain games like pokemon will have free online. The game sucks with out it after you complete post game and story all there is to do is breed teams for online play only offline things to do that are useful is battletree.

Last edited by FrostyDialga,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's still not an excuse. Diablo 3 is a fully online single player game where everything is stored server side(to prevent piracy), yet Blizzard doesn't charge anything extra. Not to mention that a company like Nintendo always takes into account the server costs when they put a price tag on a game, yet with the introduction of the new paid service the prices seem to have actually gone up instead of down. BOTW 60$, 12Switch 50$.

The problem for me personally about the paid subscription is the fact that it forces you to play, as in if you don't play - your subscription is wasting away, so if you're someone casual like myself that bought Switch just to be able to play a few exclusives like Pokemon and obviously online is a must for such games, and then you simply don't have time to play you will have wasted most of your money/subscription. I wouldn't mind if their system was fair, like you would get a 365 days timer, and it would only start counting down whenever you went online, but obviously they're not going to do this.

for one, blizzard has been investing in its online infrastructure for decades now, also, their servers are crossfinanced by their other online game where you pay absurd amounts to play monthly too. and i would call those lackluster addons (in both diablo and wow) paying extra, but thats just me.
and lets not forget, didn't diablo 3 have that online auction thing with real money? didn't they get some of that per transaction too? before it was shut down?

does breath of the wild even have online? you know why the prices go up every graphic generation on every console? because getting high res graphics always makes everything more expensive. and if they include server costs, how do you explain that 3ds, wii and wiiu game prices all fluctuate but entirely irregardless of online functionality?

also, the website mentiones that MOST games require the subscribtion. there can very well be exceptions, for example for pokemon.
paying 5 bucks for pokebank might buy you a year of online access for that game, for example. or its just free for that game to keep the kids coming. not that i actually expect a maingame on the switch at all.

and yeah, they're obviously not going to do a day by day counter like no one else in the entire world has ever done. but you can pay month by month and thats as close as you'll get.

Last edited by Clydefrosch,
Reactions: Deleted User

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
for one, blizzard has been investing in its online infrastructure for decades now, also, their servers are crossfinanced by their other online game where you pay absurd amounts to play monthly too. and i would call those lackluster addons (in both diablo and wow) paying extra, but thats just me.

Diablo 3 has no add-ons, unless you mean the Reaper of Souls expansion, those who don't buy it can continue playing the non-expanded version for the same price and still remain on-line at all times. And you're saying Blizzard is cross-financed, yet you think a company like Nintendo is not ? U wot m8 ? The company that sells it's own consoles with potato specs for 300$ ?

And lets not forget, didn't diablo 3 have that online auction thing with real money? didn't they get some of that per transaction too? before it was shut down?

It's been 3 years since auction house was shut down, and they released tons of free content and patches in that time, completely free of charge. Nintendo is also getting money for letting people develop for their platform, a company like Microsoft takes around 30% cut from their proft, I'm too lazy to look for Nintendo fees but probably around the same.

does breath of the wild even have online? you know why the prices go up every graphic generation on every console? because getting high res graphics always makes everything more expensive. and if they include server costs, how do you explain that 3ds, wii and wiiu game prices all fluctuate but entirely irregardless of online functionality?

What are you even talking about ? "Ok guys here's a new console with brand new graphics, but guess what ?We doubled the game prices". No company would ever do it to itself, especially Nintendo who is always 10 years behind every console in terms of graphics.

And I was mostly complaining about 12Switch which looks like it's been in development for 1 month and it costs the same as BOTW which has been worked on for 6 years.

Last edited by Ra1d,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 oh i bet some rum raisin ice cream is so good

i don't drink, but some rum ice cream might be good
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rum pecan ice cream is the bomb. Never had rum raisin, but bet be good. My homemade ice cream machine started rust inside so I pitched it, but gotta get a new one, miss making my own ice cream, esp with booze.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But have you ever made ice cream on weed... Lol
    +2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi