Nintendo Switch Online gets three new GBA games this month

A new collection of retro games will soon be made available to subscribers to Nintendo Switch Online. This time around, the focus is on GBA games, with three titles set to be added next week. Super Mario Advance, Super Mario Advance 2, and Super Mario Advance 3 will all be playable on NSO starting on May 26th. The three games are ports of Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island, respectively.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The three games are ports of Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island, respectively.

While people tends to prefer these ports, this is basically Nintendo giving people a variant of three games they already have.

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean these are neat... But aren't they all available already via NES/SNES Online apps..? Just give me Mario Party 3 I am BEGGING you.
idk why people say this, the advanced series has more stuff than the originals, heck, mario bros 2 has different bosses in the forms of birdos, but, i digress

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually play those same titles using the emulator of the original console it was designed for. I just can't get jiggy w/ the reallocated button mappings to accommodate the 2x face buttons on the GBA.

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Meh, I'll stick to mGBA if I want to play those three games, especially since there are patches for those three games that alleviate nearly all of the problems the GBA ports had.

This.
For a modded switch, mGBA is the best way to emulate gba/gb/gbc games. The only missed feature is cover support.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have yet to actually purchase an online membership for the Nintendo Switch. I've used the trial periods a couple times for a couple things I needed in a couple games, but for the most part, I'm not impressed with the approach here. I get Microsoft and Sony charge services for their systems, Nintendo didn't need to do that though, but that's old wounds at this point, I'd say the worst offender is the service for these older games. You can't buy and play them offline. What the hell is the point of all this? If the power goes out, the internet goes out, travel to some location where I don't have access to Wi-Fi (even if I did it's stupid to use public Wi-Fi due to security reasons), I have no means of launching and playing these titles, they just sit under an install with a generic home menu icon, being paperweight.

I'll never understand the appeal a lot of folks have for this service. You literally pay to access the games, required to be online just to launch the software, knowing good and well it's going to die and you can't even play the games when the system support ends entirely. Of course everyone will scream "just pirate everything." Sure, but that doesn't fix the issue, that just works around it.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have yet to actually purchase an online membership for the Nintendo Switch. I've used the trial periods a couple times for a couple things I needed in a couple games, but for the most part, I'm not impressed with the approach here. I get Microsoft and Sony charge services for their systems, Nintendo didn't need to do that though, but that's old wounds at this point, I'd say the worst offender is the service for these older games. You can't buy and play them offline. What the hell is the point of all this? If the power goes out, the internet goes out, travel to some location where I don't have access to Wi-Fi (even if I did it's stupid to use public Wi-Fi due to security reasons), I have no means of launching and playing these titles, they just sit under an install with a generic home menu icon, being paperweight.

I'll never understand the appeal a lot of folks have for this service. You literally pay to access the games, required to be online just to launch the software, knowing good and well it's going to die and you can't even play the games when the system support ends entirely. Of course everyone will scream "just pirate everything." Sure, but that doesn't fix the issue, that just works around it.
IKR it's the most pathetic RENTAL service on earth. but try telling that to the die hard nintendo simps they will get out their pitch forks and defend it till death!

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

the games CAN be played offline

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you mean different colored birdos aka lazy pixel swap? woopy fucking doo!
robobirdo, regardless these games should have been on the gba service since the beginning, specially since they have Mario Bros 3 advanced, i just think its funny they'll bring obscure games and then people will be like "BOOOO" and then they bring better known games and they're also like "BOOOO" like bruh, lmao.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i just think its funny they'll bring obscure games and then people will be like "BOOOO" and then they bring better known games and they're also like "BOOOO" like bruh, lmao.
you mean that shitty botk with it's pathetic 20 fps and it's practically a fucking survival game? no that is NOT A BETTER ZELDA

horokeusama

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
While I'm usually a staunch defender for Nintendo, I don't really understand the reason why they chose those three games to port when they should have chosen some of the other notable games from the GBA

These games aren't ports, they are roms that take 0 effort to put inside their emulation app. They are giving people the mininum and in small doses.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1