Nintendo used PS3 and Xbox 360 footage in E3 presentation

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I presume that they were just showing the footage as examples of the games that would be available. If the WiiU version wasn't ready, what were they meant to show, nothing?

Kind of makes the MS/Sony fanboys who were commenting live while they were showing the games and were saying things like "LOL, N64 gfx" and "Looks like PS2 graphics" look a bit stupid though, doesn't it?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Kind of makes the MS/Sony fanboys who were commenting live while they were showing the games and were saying things like "LOL, N64 gfx" and "Looks like PS2 graphics" look a bit stupid though, doesn't it?

Yeah, makes all of the zero people I saw saying that look like idiots. Nice to see you try to pawn this issue off as MS/Sony fanboys being fanboys, though.

I think it's a bit chuckle-worthy. Silly Fils-Aime, tricks are for kids.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
BlueStar said:

Yeah, makes all of the zero people I saw saying that look like idiots. Nice to see you try to pawn this issue off as MS/Sony fanboys being fanboys, though.

There were people saying it didn't look on par with Xbox360 and PS3 though.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
BlueStar said:

I saw many people commenting that the graphics still look like shit while the games were being shown.

Obviously they did that, I don't really care that they did. The Zelda demo looked better than PS3/360 standards, and so the bird demo thingamajig.

Apparently, thingamajig is a word.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
BlueStar said:

Presumably you didn't have the gametrailers twitterfeed underneath your stream where there were plenty of people saying the graphics weren't as good as the current gen.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anyone who didn't know that the trailer was running 360/PS3 versions have got to be blind.

But yea, they screwed that one up. They could have showed nothing from third parties and simply guaranteed support then use their own demos to show the graphics for the unit. As I've stated before, they could have also locked down an exclusive. It didn't even have to be a platform exclusive just an announcement exclusive...say "GTA V on WiiU."

What they could have done was what Sony did with the PSVita reveal when they held their own conference for it. They just listed developers and showed demos on the actual unit.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Meh, the important things in there were the Bird Tech Demo and the Zelda Tech Demo.

Those two alone already demonstrated how powerful the WiiU is.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Valwin said:
they show it because the game will look as good and better

You don't know that and you can't guarantee it. Neither can Reggie. If they knew 100% that it would look as good or better then they would have had the 3rd parties walking out and showing demos for it.

There can be issues with porting games over from other consoles resulting in lower framerates and bad graphics.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
There can be issues with porting games over from other consoles resulting in lower framerates and bad graphics.

*points at Ubisoft*

They could have shown what was in development rather than what was already developed for other systems, but that would not have shown what the Wii U could possibly do, since they are ... you know ... still in development. All that would have been really shown is the graphical capabilities, and focusing on that in the early stages of development (whether from scratch or porting) leads to problems later on because the basic foundation of the games are not ready.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Based on the image in the OP, I will flat out say this for anyone who actually thought the Madden footage was for the Wii U:

DERP!

Now, the most observant folks will tell you that it would be foolish for Nintendo to have real footage of a Madden football game that isn't coming out for a console that isn't coming out this year. Why would EA give them footage of a game that isn't even in the design stages and won't be until next years version is in development? Clearly Nintendo wanted to show what they plan on achieving with the Wii U from a graphics perspective.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii-U is more powerful than the PS3 and the XB360. Instead of using farms to render trailers (ie, Killzone 3), they used PS3s/XB360s. Big whoop. IBM already confirmed that the process is in fact a server-class Power processor (the rumor is Power 6 as per the leaked spec sheet, but could very well be a Power 7 or some variant of either). It's hosting 5 displays at once, it's gotta be powerful.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well the Wii U is still in very early stages of development, so it's understandable that there would be no current footage of some (any) of the games for it.
Besides, weren't people complaining that Nintendo showed too little?

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, they did show that fighting game were they drew on the guys face to make a custom skin. And those graphics were undoubtedly great.
tekken-wii-u2-630x355.png

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
_Chaz_ said:
Sony used Wii's idea to make a product.
thats actually pretty wrong
there are videos dating back to 2004 about tech demo's on tracking colored balls on sticks with the ps2 eyetoy and doing various functions with them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PtoxKDcCXc
basically what the move is today + buttons on the "stick"

Which they happen to show after like what 2 years (not sure) after the wii?

That can't be a coincidence.

When was the wii remote first made?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
At the very least the message is clear, "We're delivering graphics of 360/PS3 quality"

I think the message is more like that the developers haven't hit a point in the development of the games for Wii U yet where they have anything to show.

If that really was the case, they should have avoided showing anything revolving around the games in question to be honest.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also brb