OP
Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Arnold Schwarzenegger said:
Well whatever the reason for the cracking hinge is, it looks like it will eventually break. The reason I say this is because parts of it (on the way left and right sides) are made too small and are too thin and may crack sometime, whether it be a few months or a year or so. Yours might not even crack at all, who knows. Hopefully Nintendo reconstructs the hinge better, here's a pic of how it could work:

dslitehingerv6.jpg

The image on the top is obviously what our DS Lites sorta look like, the one on the middle is one way it could be rebuilt (though I don't know if this is a good idea and if the hinge may be able to fall apart, which is why you should take a look at the third DS Lite). The DS Lite on the bottom of the picture shows what it would be like if the left and right sides of the hinge were bigger (and less likely to break easily).

This is just an example of how the hinge could have better construction, of course they may actually look better than how they were drawn and may be constructed differently (that is, if Nintendo really does this).

It looks like Nintendo did something like image 2 and kudos to them. They should have done this back when they manufactured the Lites but at least our 3DS hinges ain't gonna fall apart any time soon. TBH I never had this hinge issue but the redesign should prevent anyone from easily getting it.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 3DS's hinge is perfect. I do hope it holds up well over time.

As for the DSLite's, I think it was more a plastic issue than design. I can only go on my own experience, but I went through FOUR white DSLite's under warranty, replaced every time for cracked hinges. Every time I went though this I asked for a different color, and every time NOA said they couldn't do that. They kept sending white ones, and they kept on breaking. Both of my kids got the later two-tone versions (black/crimson and black/cobalt) several years ago and neither of them has had a problem. And trust me, my kids are a lot harder on their DSLite's than I ever was with mine.

My final white DSLite held out longer than the previous three, but almost 1 full year after the warranty expired it too cracked, at the same spot as the others. I had no choice but to keep it and use it, and after another 6 months or so the whole plastic housing where the led lights are flaked and crumbled away. Now the hinge swings loose, with no 'detent' to hold it in place. My wife uses it to read novels using a japanese 'game' that lets you download old books. It's called Bungaku Zensyu. The broken hinge doesn't matter for something like that, but for any actual game, it's unplayable now.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a limited edition golden triforce DSlite with a pre ordered phantoms hourglass (wish they had that again for spirit tracks :/) it lasted for a good 1 year and a half before I ran into any problems then it got broken L/R and my touch screen got dead pixels, but I didnt have any real issues with the hinge till about 2 and a half yyears, but hey, it still works and I use it as a back up system for when my lil niece comes down.
biggrin.gif

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have my dsl for about 2/3 years or so? no issues at all, no hinge crack, no dead pix, and good functioning l/r buttys. But it does look like ninty did something similiar like your image. mabey they do follow tips from users?

D

Deleted User

Slyakin said:
Now get ready to get flamed by people saying "BAWWW IT'S LOOSE BAWWWWWWW"
Ahem..
BAWWW IT'S LOOSE BAWWWWWWW

But seriously, it does make a huge cracking noise every time I open it. Baw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    ^^ This :rofl2:
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    i didnt feel very well in school cuz there was too much noise for me to handle
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also im gonna redownload touhou 8 bc the other day i accidentaly deleted it (and also try to beat it with other characters and harder difficulties)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Sensory overloads suck.
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I totally get that.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Pro ultra tip: eat a bunch of Skittles or imitation gold flakes before leaving a duece in the shower for girlfriend, makes it flashy and classy.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lol that guy is funny! Following.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back. i had to help my mom with some documents
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i tried to "neutralize" the noise by hmmmm'ing but people told me to shut up
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i was covering my ears
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do not resuscitate form? Jk nvm
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Humming will never cover the sound of a fart
    +3
    Although if you can harmonize the humming and your own fart.... It could be a new form of music
    +2
    Maybe throw in some mumble rap
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You gotta practise, and know the tone of your farts, then you can master the skill, young grassfarter
    +2
    A new J Lo song is born
    +1
    Sure it's shit but the live concert, you can practically smell her enthusiasm
    I bet people would actually pay to see her farting into a microphone
    At the end of the concert she rips the foam rubber part of the microphone off and throws it into the crowd a lucky fan snatches it starts sniffing it vigorously!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: At the end of the concert she rips the foam rubber part of the microphone off and throws it into...