Hacking Hardware Nintendo Wii Unbricking Help using Infectus 2 Modchip

Retro-Hax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As the Title implies i am currently reviving my Childhood Wii after almost a decade of it being bricked and being in my Parents Basement. I am unsure how much of my NAND is broken but its probably a lot... i am still able to connect Wii Remotes to it and Bluetooth Module is working in general so IOS isnt broken but the System Menu 100% is. I attached a Picture of it as well just to show how much of a Mess the System Menu is on it... I am sadly unsure if we back then installed bootmii as the Wii is an RVL-CPU-50 Console which as far as i know is unable to have bootmii installed. another thing that people shall know is that i do not have priiloader installed back then nor do i have a NAND Backup of my Wii tho i have several donor Wiis with fully working NANDS and which are also on 4.3E which is also what the old Wii was on. If anyone has any experience with this topic id love to get some help!

EDIT: This Picture shows the Wii at Health and Safety Screen (Yes thats how bricked it) and i rather just wish to fix it than throw it away for good as it holds a lot of sentimental value to me

Attachments

• IMG_20230904_230736.png
    IMG_20230904_230736.png
    7.4 MB · Views: 60

Retro-Hax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I actually already did try Bluebomb and its getting stuck at stage0 sadly and (after reassembling the Wii) it doesnt work via "Hold - and + and Press A" Method so yea also its a Theme Brick since it happened cuz i installed a Theme that wasnt meant for my Region or Wii Version iirc correctly it was a 4.2U or 4.1U Batman Theme unsure tho since its been almost a decade

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually already did try Bluebomb and its getting stuck at stage0 sadly and (after reassembling the Wii) it doesnt work via "Hold - and + and Press A" Method so yea also its a Theme Brick since it happened cuz i installed a Theme that wasnt meant for my Region or Wii Version iirc correctly it was a 4.2U or 4.1U Batman Theme unsure tho since its been almost a decade
SaveMiiFrii works for saving theme bricks, apparently, according to this old thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/theme-brick.212524/post-2679205

https://wiibrew.org/wiki/SaveMii_Dongle#SaveMiiFrii

Do you know what drive you have? If you have a DMS/D2A/D2B drive, you could make a yaosm (https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Yaosm) modchip, then "back up" a "copy" of Super Smash Bros. Brawl (this game specifically, because of how it works), change the title ID to start with 0 with Wii BootMe, burn the "backup" copy, boot with the disc and a GameCube controller in slot 4 with all buttons on the d-pad held down, and finally boot into the HackMii Installer menu. This should let you get into the Homebrew Channel once you exit.

Retro-Hax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I attached Images of my Drive here as i am unsure but i doubt it since RVL-CPU-50 Wiis were created around 2010/2011 also i am unable to know if SaveMiiFrii is even available nowadays or if the specs for rebuilding where even ever released to the public.

Attachments

• 1694782762844.png
    1694782762844.png
    8.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 1694782791411.png
    1694782791411.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 34

Alexiox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If it was stage you even see the screen on, cause starlet the booting coy cannot use the gpu so no video.
as @master801 td you savemiifrii should work out, but you need to see the model, if not trying again with blubomb at least which universal, at your worst you need a nand programmer or an infectus chip, or got directly a new one and always follow the guide, before doing anything that you can regret
or if you do care so much here a link to boot the without boot1 signed

https://github.com/shinyquagsire23/Wii-Glitching

or a new modchip to read backup
https://github.com/m4x10187/sylvii-modchip

Retro-Hax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I already have a Infectus Modchip just incase i need to solder it but i am gonna try with SaveMiiFrii! Is there a guide for it somewhere?

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: Alexiox

Alexiox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I already have a Infectus Modchip just incase i need to solder it but i am gonna try with SaveMiiFrii! Is there a guide for it somewhere?
luckyou to have an instance of infectus chip is very rare nowadays
although if you don’t have it already soldered it’s a little painful cause it had a lot of soldering point if I remember well

Retro-Hax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I may be dumb but i am holding down all 4 D-PAD DIrections and it does not boot into SaveMiiFrii at all tho i also do not have a DVD DriveChip in my Console :(
"To recover from a brick using SaveMii, a drivechip must be installed."

Alexiox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I may be dumb but i am holding down all 4 D-PAD DIrections and it does not boot into SaveMiiFrii at all tho i also do not have a DVD DriveChip in my Console :(
"To recover from a brick using SaveMii, a drivechip must be installed."
Well to restore it cause it will boot the menu into a recovery mode so yes, then you should try again with blu bomb instead to boot into hackmii installer and trying to install bootmii if is an old console before 2008, before using infectus

here a guide old asf

video

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The link I gave gives you a basic guide for it. Although I made short one that goes into detail. 🤷‍♂️
SaveMii dongles don't exist anymore. You can replicate the same recovery mode by plugging in a GameCube controller into the 4th port, and holding down all D-PAD buttons when powering on.
That's literally what I linked to (SaveMiiFrii) and even said to use a GameCube controller plugged in the controller 4 slot with the all buttons on the d-pad held down.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Retro-Hax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well to restore it cause it will boot the menu into a recovery mode so yes, then you should try again with blu bomb instead to boot into hackmii installer and trying to install bootmii if is an old console before 2008, before using infectus
I thought i already mentoined that my Console is an RVL-CPU-50 aka a Console taht was created during 2010/2011 after 2008

Retro-Hax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The link I gave gives you a basic guide for it. Although I made short one that goes into detail. 🤷‍♂️

That's literally what I linked to (SaveMiiFrii) and even said to use a GameCube controller plugged in the controller 4 slot with the all buttons on the d-pad held down.
i plugged a gamecube controller into slot 4 with all d-pad buttons held down and nothing happened not even on my working wii that has bootmii installed i am just gonna try to open the controller up and see if i can get into recovery menu that way

Alexiox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i plugged a gamecube controller into slot 4 with all d-pad buttons held down and nothing happened not even on my working wii that has bootmii installed i am just gonna try to open the controller up and see if i can get into recovery menu that way
Forgot to say you have open the controller to press the d -pad completely in the four direction.

Retro-Hax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In that case is still better than nothing to use hackmii installer to install homebrew channel and bootmii iOS, if that will work out it’s already something

https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Bluebomb
I am just gonna install an Infectus since i already tried BlueBomb like i metioned in my First Post of this Thread and it got stuck at stage0 like a ton and i mean a ton of times

Alexiox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I am just gonna install an Infectus since i already tried BlueBomb like i metioned in my First Post of this Thread and it got stuck at stage0 like a ton and i mean a ton of times
It seems quite strange it usually works pretty well… although do you already have a soldering tutorial for that?

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not how SaveMiiFrii works.

You need a modchip to load a modified backup disc of Super Smash Bros. Brawl because the game won't autoboot with a regular disk.

The ISO needs to be modified (with as I said before, Wii BootMe) so it autoboots and skips the System Menu entirely.

The d-pad trick gets the Wii to load the modified autoboot version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Smash Stack for Super Smash Bros. Brawl gets you to install the Homebrew Channel, then exits to said Homebrew Channel where you can fix your brick.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl must be used because your System Menu is fucked up and Smash Stack avoids using the System Menu entirely.

Last edited by master801,
Reactions: Alexiox

Retro-Hax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's not how SaveMiiFrii works.

You need a modchip to load a modified backup disc of Super Smash Bros. Brawl because the game won't autoboot with a regular disk.

The ISO needs to be modified (with as I said before, Wii BootMe) so it autoboots and skips the System Menu entirely.

The d-pad trick gets the Wii to load the modified autoboot version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Smash Stack for Super Smash Bros. Brawl gets you to install the Homebrew Channel, then exits to said Homebrew Channel where you can fix your brick.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl must be used because your System Menu is fucked up and Smash Stack avoids using the System Menu entirely.
Is it also possible to use a WiiKey Modchip for this also is a PAL Super Smash Bros Brawl Disc Backup also compatible with this Method? also i just dissasembled my Gamecube Controller and it still doesnt seem to work tho it is one of the cheap aftermarket ones since i rather not wanna use an OEM one for that tho i know for a fact that the aftermarket one works on Real Wii Hardware

EDIT: Here is a Picture of my dissassembled Gamecube Controller and it is in port 4

Attachments

• 1694789686182.png
    1694789686182.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 31
Last edited by Retro-Hax,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol