Nintendo's Switch to finally hit Turkey at ~$500 USD

bundle_color_console.jpg

After withdrawing from the Turkish market due to the country's financial instability, Nintendo finally reenters the scene to sell its Switch system and assorted peripherals in the country. They're doing this through the company CD Media, an entertainment software/hardware distribution and localization company, serving peripheral manufacturers and publishers, based in Athens Greece. While consumers are generally enthusiastic at the prospect of Nintendo's presence returning to the market where it's been missed, the stated prices for the system, games, and peripherals will be relatively more expensive than they are elsewhere. From the Turkish games retailer OverGame's online storefront come the prices listed below:
  • Nintendo Switch Neon Red and Blue: 2,399 TL (USD $495 / £377)
  • Nintendo Switch Gray: $ 2,399 (USD $495 / £377)
  • Nintendo Switch Joy-Con Binary Gray 559 TL (USD $115 / £87)
  • Nintendo Switch Joy-Con Binary Neon Red and Blue 559 TL (USD $115 / £87)
  • Nintendo Switch Pro Controller 499 TL (USD $102 / £78)
  • Super Mario Odyssey: 379 TL (USD $78 / £60)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 329 TL (USD $68 / £52)

This means that the Switch system itself is to be 1.65 times as expensive, the joycon sets ~1.44 times, and the pro controller ~1.46 times. This price hike makes less sense when you take into account the countries general financial struggles, and is evidently much more expensive than was predicted.

:arrow: Source

1c4rus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Who the hell would even bother translating their games to Turkish. Bet they just get international versions and be done with it

Actually, Sony doing great job on localization. They have start serious attempt about Turkish localization ever since PS3 era. Now almost every PS exclusive title releasing in Turkish. Even some comes out with decent Turkish dub. No doubt that's the one of the big reason why they dominating Turkish market as leader. And that aside there is already plenty of games available with Turkish subtitle option. Just recently Ubisoft announced Turkish currency for Uplay and that could be just a first step on the way of localization.

D

Deleted User

Remember: Turkey is under rule of an unstable dictator who slaughters anybody in his country who uses any kind of psychedelics/drugs. Under those circumstances I'm surprised it doesn't cost more.
Sounds more like what happens on the Philippines. I agree though, with the Turkey being ruled by an dictator.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Why is it so expensive? I thought Norway was bad, but that's 30% more than Norway for the Switch itself. CD Media must be taking a huge cut.
Still relatively cheap considering how bad it was when the switch first launched and scalpers where charging a lot more than this. I remember seeing some units selling for $1000USD on amazon from private sellers scalpers.
I hope no one bought them. People can ask whatever they want but that doesn't mean it'll sell. If they ask too much they'll be forced to reduce the price.

TR_mahmutpek

medic
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
I buought from Amazon.com for 300+70 (tax:wink:) dollars, back in that time, dollar was 3.6 Turkish Liras :rofl2: now its almost 5:whip: But anyway, its for my benefit :ha:

Edit: Even this time, Amazon still cheaper than Turkey price!

Reactions: Skittyusedcovet

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
fudge, i am going to go back to syria soon, then go to turky.
this is going to be super harsh for me.

before the syrian crisis, the original PS3 games sold for $120, and they are super rare to find, most of them are bundled with the PS3 it self.
now i don't know how to get PS4 games when i get back there.
and downloading is also a problem, not unlimited internet and very slow internet.

Last edited by aos10,

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
What are you talking about. I been to Turkey, everybody speaks english over there.
not everyone, i've been in Turkey recently, they hate anyone that doesn't speak their language.
especially arabs, even in the Turkish Consulate in saudi arabia they never talks in arabic or english, it was very weird and i had to bring someone to translate for me.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Piracy is wrong no matter how you look at it.
If you find the console more expensive then it's your country's law (taxes, clearance charges...), not Nintendo.

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Piracy is wrong no matter how you look at it.
If you find the console more expensive then it's your country's law (taxes, clearance charges...), not Nintendo.
There's a reason why "regional pricing" exists. Look at Russia and their prices for the same games. Same with PS4 games in Turkey. You can't blame just the country, you can blame the company for their bad practices. I'm all for buying legally, but I'm not going to pay 1/5 of my salary to a video game, when other people in other countries pay 1/25, or 1/50.

Skittyusedcovet

Gbatemp’s Favourite Skitty
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I buought from Amazon.com for 300+70 (tax:wink:) dollars, back in that time, dollar was 3.6 Turkish Liras :rofl2: now its almost 5:whip: But anyway, its for my benefit :ha:

Edit: Even this time, Amazon still cheaper than Turkey price!

If I lived in turkey I would've did the same thing as you. I feel for anyone who waited it out for the release in your country and now is just finding out they could’ve did what you did. :unsure:

Reactions: TR_mahmutpek

fikatr

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
*snip*

Edit: Is any turkish resident going to buy a Switch, now that it´s officially available?
We were able to buy switches before this but without manufacturer gurantee, i bought mine last year for something like 1500tl unless you want pay that much for guarantee i don't think this will change anything

Last edited by porkiewpyne,

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
A fairly common mistake I see people make, is assuming that certain products, and especially technology, will be cheaper in less developed countries. The Switch, like any other consumer electronic, will be far more expensive in less developed countries such as Turkey, Mexico, African countries, etc. Why?

Because the product infrastructure of the country is far less developed than first world countries. Imports and exports cost more. Bigger taxes. A far higher difficulty in getting better deals with company's who don't see these underdeveloped markets as profitable. And most important of all, the smaller the specific market population, the less likely it is to have a cheap product.

Let's face it, when big companies like Apple, Samsung, Nintendo or Microsoft make a product, they don't think:

Oh, I wonder how many sales we can get in Turkey! Or Portugal! Or freaking Ghana!

No. These companies will target the biggest and most established markets, such as the USA, UK, Germany, Japan, Canada, France, Spain, even freaking Italy or Switzerland fit this description better than Turkey or my own country ever would.

Why would they waste money, marketing a specific product in a country where 70% of the population cannot afford it? They wouldn't. So it becomes very hard to even bring those products, let alone sell them at a competitive price.

Is it unfair? Yes. But it's also reality, in my view.

Last edited by WhiteMaze,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P