'No Man's Sky' To Get "Biggest Update Yet" And Xbox One Release

no mans sky next.JPG

Released back in 2016 for the PS4 and PC, the space exploration game is set for an Xbox One release and a free update dubbed NEXT on all platforms, its "biggest update so far".

“We called this update NEXT, because it’s an important next step on a longer journey for us and the community,” writes Sean Murray, Hello Games co-founder. “We’ve been working our socks off on this and it’s by far our biggest update so far. It will be free to existing players, and we’ll continue to support No Man’s Sky in this way for the foreseeable future.”

“We’ve learned a lot over the last few years, faster than we would have liked! I’d love to avoid talking completely and just make things people can play, but we knew this was going to leak anyway, and I think it’s news that should make a lot of folks happy,” Murray added.

The title will also be enhanced for the Xbox One X with HDR and 4K support. Xbox players will get all existing updates for the game, including the Foundation, Pathfinder, and Atlas Rises. The game is also launching in China on Tencent’s platform WeGame.

No Man Sky is coming to Xbox One in summer 2018 along with the NEXT expansion, a free update which also releases for PS4, PC and WeGame.

:arrow: No Man's Sky Official GBAtemp review

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I can only remember the hypetrain around this game by late 2016. Maybe even here on the temp but not sure.

They're most likely are releasing it on the Xbox in hopes it can get new reviews.

Last edited by netovsk,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why is this game bad again?
Two main camps
1) Those that believed the hype. It was never going to live up to it but some believed it anyway and were burned.
The following details many of the failures

2) Those that played it anyway. Space sims is a fairly well established genre; Elite was a surprise monster hit in 1984, versions thereof for several years after were also massive, and there were things before then. The genre later basically died (take out Freespace and X, both of which were not awful but there is a reason you may never have heard of them before, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_space_flight_simulator_games and look how little you have left) and there were but a small handful of games released up until around Elite Dangerous in 2014, most of which left people wanting.
https://gbatemp.net/review/no-mans-sky.504/ has more on the failures of this game specifically, and it was not a particularly subtle failure like we saw in things like older Monster Hunter entries. Usual bugs everywhere, features lacking, lacking much to do, gameplay seriously unrefined... the sort of thing like you get when a dev over extends themselves on a massively ambitious game and rushes to meet a deadline. This was also compounded by a few glimpses of something that could have been great.

Unlike many games it did later get updates which changed some fairly substantial things about the game

If the above video is to believed then they were still nothing terribly special and you still have better choices for a game, and even if not then it would likely still not stand on its own merits.

Reactions: Boricausufire

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sean said "a free update". Well it sure better be a FREE update! Even though they lost the public's trust faster then any other gaming company to date (that I know of anyway). No Mans Sky has been dead 1 week after the game launched. Most people won't go back to the game anyway. I sure wont be.

Absintu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
imho, this was intended to be the hardest game u can build. They cant deliver, period. Elite dangerous was this ambitious, but they made it with time, and delivered. Of course, this genre is so complex that it's never gonna be perfect. The only thing that's missing in elite, is "space legs", but even that is on the agenda.
The guy that started this genre in the 80's, is the same guy that's behind elite dangerous. Forget about one mans lie. They will never deliver.
again, this is only my opinion, because i think this is the most complex game u can ever build

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok goodnight ya, I'm heading to the bar to shoot some pool. And no spamming my profile page... +2