Non-authorized third party Xbox controllers and accessories soon to be blocked

controllers.png

From November 12th, Microsoft promises to block third party accessories that are not authorized by the company from being used on the Xbox, on an unprecedented anti-competitive move. This restriction includes game controllers.

Some current unauthorized accessory users have been receiving the following warning:

A connected accessory is not authorized. Using unauthorized accessories compromises your gaming experience. For this reason, the unauthorized accessory will be blocked from use on 11/12/2023.

For help returning it, check with the store it came from or contact the manufacturer. To see authorized accessories, go to
www.xbox.com/accessories. (0x82d60002).

Brook Gaming, a manufacturer of third party controller adapters and fight sticks, put out an official statement regarding the upcoming change, and are looking for solutions to keep their products working on Xbox consoles.

A list of authorized accessories can be found on the official Xbox accessory page--most of which are specifically wired gamepads. Going forward, brands will need to have a specific chip and authorization from Microsoft itself to function as an official wireless accessory on Xbox systems.

:arrow: Source

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing I've noticed is some communities heavily supported this whilst others absolutely hated this. The supportive ones were generally FPS communities likely due to mouse-based peripherals.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah thank you. Yeah that’s not displaying on my end.
Do you have a browser extension that blocks keywords or something? I mean it's weird that your browser couldn't see the link. It does make for a really funny comedic reaction:
"Where's the link"
"Dude it's right there"
"But where"
"There"
"Wut?"
If someone did what @Dungeonseeker did the first time then it would have been obvious

Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have a browser extension that blocks keywords or something? I mean it's weird that your browser couldn't see the link. It does make for a really funny comedic reaction:
"Where's the link"
"Dude it's right there"
"But where"
"There"
"Wut?"
If someone did what @Dungeonseeker did the first time then it would have been obvious
Yeah, I have no idea, I only have roadblock installed, I can see peoples reply links, I just cannot see the OP link, and even in the quote by @SDA there was no link.

I always have issues on this site, ask @shaunj66

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like all 8BitDo compatible controllers will stop working then and users will have to buy "authorized" low quality crap ones (coff, coff, PowerA and alikes).

Nice move MicroSucks, "awesome" gaming experience for your more and more limited gamebase.

Another reason not to buy anything xbox related stuff... checked.

Who's next sunny?
Considering 8bitdo has Xbox branded controllers, I'm gonna venture a guess and say that their controllers are probably going to remain usable on Xbox systems after this change takes effect. Don't get me wrong this is a terrible business decision, but I think pointing to 8bitdo controllers specifically as being affected by this might be misguided.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
a lot of...interesting takes in here.

i'd imagine it's not very legal. it's one thing to be "oh, oooooops, does your third part controller not work? we ain't gotta support nuttin'". but they're full on "we are activately disabling legally created devices because we want you to only buy what we allow". this would seem to be illegal in the US, stifling legal competition unfairly, but I can't find any specific case involving third party video game accessories.

Sony did it and got away with it on PS3, there was a firmware update that did exactly the same (disabled previously working unlicensed 3rd party accessories), nothing came of that, so I would assume it's fine.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Worth noting that most 3rd party controllers have been authorized for years at this point. This seems to be more targeting devices designed for advantage.
Controller with a turbo are now the problem after decades?

Seems rather that Microsoft just wants that sweet certification cash on the chinese produced controllers. Want a hall effect controller where you don't have to replace it or fix it every now and then for drift? Well, you're crap out of luck now.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I have no idea, I only have roadblock installed, I can see peoples reply links, I just cannot see the OP link, and even in the quote by @SDA there was no link.

I always have issues on this site, ask @shaunj66
I'm sure it's that because my firefox initially blocked it, so I took the risk and enter. The link is weird because it's like this so maybe they treat it like adware or something

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231030_165908_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20231030_165908_Firefox.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: KiiWii

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
How outage and not good news! Microsoft is anti-trust something like that. If Microsoft want to block 3rd party controllers which are compromises gaming experience but not true. Microsoft lies to everyone that's why.

If block affect all 3rd controllers are true then will end up a lot of e-waste.

How sad news. :(

About new computers with Windows 11 then please don't buy and stop support Microsoft for good reasons. Maybe same apply to Windows 12 too. Let Windows 11 to be destroyed for good reasons! I have right to refuse support Microsoft and let company lost a lot of money. Microsoft can go to h*ll. :evil:

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure it's that because my firefox initially blocked it, so I took the risk and enter. The link is weird because it's like this so maybe they treat it like adware or something
No idea why it was a linksynergy link... I've edited the main post to just make it a direct link to xbox.com/accessories. Hopefully that solves any issues.

Reactions: IncredulousP

SeventhSon7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^This. Specially in this generation, there's no reason to buy an Xbox console as most of their games can be played on pc. As for Sony, they're starting to bring more & more of their exclusive games to pc, and the PS5 library is still not there yet. Without mentioning, how gigantic the pc library is, for example you can get any game from the past 2 gens without relying or waiting for any BS BC program to allow you to play those games.. Also games are MUCH cheaper on pc than consoles, so in the long run pc is def better in every conceivable way.

We just need a widely adopted non-Windows OS, some variety of Linux.

Reactions: console

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a dick move.

GFY, M$.
Post automatically merged:

You know Sony & Nintendo are going to do this now.

All it takes is one company to take the initial blowback and everybody else follows suit.
I'm using a fake PS5-looking controller on PS4 that's recognized as a DualShock 4 controller and really like it over the original DS4, but you're right they will.

They probably are annoyed they didn't think of doing this sooner.

Reactions: console

Rioluwott

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I always disliked how xbox had no support for a lot of third party controllers because of their wacky bluetooth drivers but this is on another level, my series S controller got drift twice in a year and wanted to get one of those controllers that get no drift but found nothing for the xbox now I know I will have to change the joysticks each time I get drift, I wish the community could get microsoft to change this or make hackers focus their attention on the xbox like when playstation removed linux from the ps3 and got their console hacked as a backslash, a really shitty move from a big company like we are used to at this point.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
People gotta make a shit ton of noise to have them backpedal just like when they tried to increase the price of gamepass and xbox live

Wake the fuck up Spencer, maybe you're getting a bit too comfortable. Sure you got Activision and I think that's good, doesn't mean it's time to go nuts with something unrelated.
We just need a widely adopted non-Windows OS, some variety of Linux.
Yeah I've tried installing some games on Nobara. It's still pretty complicated when it's outside Steam (and even if it's in Steam, if your game uses another launcher it's something else)

Maybe one day we'll have something more akin to Windows, it's going to the right direction. Even anti cheats are getting compatible.

Reactions: osaka35

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [goes back to 🛌 ] zzzzzzzzzzzzzz +1