Tutorial NOOB friendly guide to Downgrading your 3DS (From FW <10.7!!)

Didja downgrade successfully from 10.4/10.5/10.6 ?

• O3ds yes

Votes: 137 41.6%
  • O3ds no

Votes: 18 5.5%
  • New 3DS yes

Votes: 128 38.9%
  • New 3DS no

Votes: 18 5.5%
  • I'll wait until yls8/smea releases an entrypoint for me

Votes: 73 22.2%

• Total voters

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
I successfully downgraded from a JPN N3DS 10.4 to 9.1 with 9.2 CIAs. I know it's very strange.
When I follow you guide, I can't get pass STEP 4 for checking JPN N3DS 9.2 CIA packs. It fails on 0004001000020900.cia. However, I downloaded and checked several times and MD5s. So I decided to downgrade.
Anyway, I succeeded. Thanks Salamencizer for your tutorial!
Thank you very much for the information! =D many people were stuck on that CIA, and you were the only one who decided to go ahead.

I successfully downgraded 2 N3DS XL and an O3DS XL from 10.6 to 9.2.
This sysupdater is very stable,it worked at first try.
The one which works with memchunkhax2.1 really is, I made around 15 videos on how to downgrade, and it worked on the first try in every one of them.

okay, here's my case (hope someone feels like helping me with it)
I have an O3ds (super beat up) with some purchased titles and some 1000hours+ save data (looking at you, MH4U)
I have recently acquired an american copy of Cubic Ninja and a N3ds (yet to be delivered, should be here tomorrow)
I'd like to system transfer before downgrading, is it necessary?
I'm only really worried about my save files, could I unlink my NNID from the O3ds and just link it to the N3ds without a system transfer (so I don't need to update the n3ds)
I have some experience with homebrewing back from the PSP and Wii days, but I have yet to tackle the 3DS.

I know it's hard to help before I know which version of SysNand the N3DS will have, but are there any options around this?
how much more risky is the downgrade process for the N3Ds? (I know it has been asked before, but these things are pricy down in South America, don't wanna end up hard bricking it)
Yes, you can do a system transfer too (your choice)
If you're worried about your save files, you can just use svdt to back up all of your saves.
How much are the chances of (hard)bricking a N3DS?
They are a little more than an o3DS (which after ruling out stupidity are VERY VERY LESS(Note the bold and caps). You can say 0.2% with this version of sysUpdater on old 3ds, and double that (0.4%) on a new 3DS)
And by stupidity i mean the following things:
- Put your 3DS on Sleep Mode during the downgrade process
-Switch Off you 3DS during the downgrade process
-Use Old 3DS downgrade files for a New 3DS or New 3DS downgrade files for an Old 3DS/2DS
-Downgrade while your console's battery is low
-Or anything stupid which might interrupt the downgrade process

Castello

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
thanks for the reply, m8
Cubic Ninja just got delivered, so i'll work on those save file backups, just in case.
depending on the native firmware on the n3ds I might not system transfer. we'll see.
either way, I'll practice on the O3Ds for some added confidence.

I'll let you know how it goes

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
thanks for the reply, m8
Cubic Ninja just got delivered, so i'll work on those save file backups, just in case.
depending on the native firmware on the n3ds I might not system transfer. we'll see.
either way, I'll practice on the O3Ds for some added confidence.

I'll let you know how it goes
Suggestion:
After getting CFW, sell Cubic Ninja and buy a cheap copy of OOT3D. Brew it, and if you still have around $40 left, install a hardmod.
It's not only for you, but for all those people who own a Cubic Ninja.

D

Deleted User

Somehow this is not working for me...
I use oothax to get into hbl just fine but choosing anything from there
just freezes while still in hbl menu.
Help please?!

(Old3DS - 10.4EU - hax 2.5)

Edit: Solved it myself, used an older boot.3dsx --> 9.2 :)

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Castello

Castello

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
considering cartridge prices down here, I might just invest on a Sky3ds, second hand it would be around 25usd more expensive than the cheapest OoT3d copy available.

then again, I got this cubic ninja for dirt cheap...

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I recall, all the games are stored on the SD card if you buy digital, correct? If so, could I just take those off my SD card when I try to downgrade, then put them back on when successful? Like I said, I heard that formatting might be the solution to my problem, but I read that I might not be able to downgrade due to the amount of games I have.
There are no issues there, downgrading isn't changed by what's saved onto the sd however if it makes you feel better go ahead

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have a 10.6 O3DSXL vanilla with a SKY3DS+ card. ( I was told I could use Ninjhax off of the SKY3DS+, is that true?)

Should I hard mod ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-noob-friendly-nand-dumping-2ds-3ds-3ds-xl-n3ds-n3ds-xl.414498/ )and do a NAND dump before I try downgrading? If downgrading fails, would the NAND dump even save it?
Yes it will save it. It's unlikely you'll get a hard brick the nand so if it does brick it's an easily recoverable soft brick.

I successfully downgraded 2 N3DS XL and an O3DS XL from 10.6 to 9.2.
This sysupdater is very stable,it worked at first try.
Did you notice any minor bugs like freezing at the end?

JCreazy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aw crap I just updated. I have oot but not a power saves. I could buy one but would rather not. How likely is it that there will be a menuhax or browserhax?

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
Aw crap I just updated. I have oot but not a power saves. I could buy one but would rather not. How likely is it that there will be a menuhax or browserhax?
The possibility of browserhax is quite high (might take some time though). If you wanna wait for it, you can, but don't update to 10.8 when it comes.
If you have a friend who has homebrew access, you can ask him to install OOTHax for you. In oothax installer, just enter your firmware version, not his/her.

Yeah that happened 2 times to me, but didn't matter cuz I shut down and the NAND was not bricked.

considering cartridge prices down here, I might just invest on a Sky3ds, second hand it would be around 25usd more expensive than the cheapest OoT3d copy available.

then again, I got this cubic ninja for dirt cheap...
For how much did you get the Cubic Ninja?

Castello

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The possibility of browserhax is quite high (might take some time though). If you wanna wait for it, you can, but don't update to 10.8 when it comes.
If you have a friend who has homebrew access, you can ask him to install OOTHax for you. In oothax installer, just enter your firmware version, not his/her.

Yeah that happened 2 times to me, but didn't matter cuz I shut down and the NAND was not bricked.

after the BRL > USD conversion, 50 bucks
regular cartridges are anywhere from 60 to 100 usd after conversion
cheapest OoT3d I can find on mercadolibre (our equivalent of ebay) goes for the same 50 usd (altho there has been some for a little less but nothing super cheap)

Last edited by Castello,

Gizametalman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Question: Old 3DS 10.3U.
Is this all I have to do to downgrade?
To which version will my 3DS be downgraded? Could it be to 4.5 or lower System Firmware?
Do I need a SysNand backup to downgrade to a desired firmware version?
PS: Wanting to downgrade my 3DS for a long long time. But i've read somewhere that I need a SysNand backup to do so. That's why this is a bit ''suprising''.

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: Old 3DS 10.3U.
Is this all I have to do to downgrade?
To which version will my 3DS be downgraded? Could it be to 4.5 or lower System Firmware?
Do I need a SysNand backup to downgrade to a desired firmware version?
PS: Wanting to downgrade my 3DS for a long long time. But i've read somewhere that I need a SysNand backup to do so. That's why this is a bit ''suprising''.
1. Yes this all you really need.
2. It'll be downgraded to firmware 9.2.
3. After you downgrade to 9.2, you can do what you want, but tbh there's no reason to go to 4.5.
4. No you don't need a sysnand backup. If you want one, you'll need a hardmod BEFORE YOU DOWNGRADE.

Reactions: Gizametalman

Fatality_Reaper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No,after sysupdater did everything it restarted when i pressed b.
I used ocarina as entry point,checked the files with safesysupdater and i formatted everything before starting.
Don't use safesysupdater for downgrade,i tried it 2 times and 2 times i got a broken firmware.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No,after sysupdater did everything it restarted when i pressed b.
I used ocarina as entry point,checked the files with safesysupdater and i formatted everything before starting.
Don't use safesysupdater for downgrade,i tried it 2 times and 2 times i got a broken firmware.
Good to know thanks.

Awesome seems to be a normal occurrence than.

Dayle Hall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im trying to downgrade my N3DS on 10.6E to 9.2E im pretty sure ive downloaded all the right files but my check keeps failing at MD5>/updates/0004001000022000.cia

Any1 have any ideas?

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I do this and then want to go ahead and install rxtools and arm9loaderhax, do I need to install menuhax?
It'd be nice to have a way to boot into homebrew as the other way if you don't have a cartridge is to use browserhax each time. Don't know how the OTP guide is now though. I got my OTP from the second major revision, so I'm not sure how important the HB menu is now.

Coraje187

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to let every one know I used this tutorial and OOT 3d the select version with AR Power saves cost around 45. USD and works great. 10.6 3ds xl old.

Edit for some reason I can't use the oot to boot into homebrew after downgrade.

Last edited by Coraje187,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...