ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
richy said:
OK, so I've only had my Wii for a week and have softmodded it and use WiiGator Backup Launcher v0.3 gamma to load my games. No real problems so far. However, I've got a couple of questions:

I burned House of the Dead 2 and 3 before checking the Compatibility Matrix and obviously get the error where HOTD2 just hangs after you select it (whereas HOTD3 is fine). I could reburn with the IOS patched to 249 but is it likely that future versions of the backup loader would fix errors like this? I'm just curious because I'd rather have 1:1 copies on the assumption that fixes are likely to turn up at some point rather than patch games only to find that they stop working with future firmware updates (that might be desirable to install for instance) and all that sort of thing. I don't really want to patch something and later regret it and equally I'd rather not burn multiple copies of games if not really necessary! Am I making sense here?
smile.gif

I guess the answer to this next one is: "try it yourself!!" but I didn't know if it was a bad idea in the first place? Could I burn a patched copy of a game like HOTD2/3 on a +RW and, assuming it loaded and got past the problem, switch it for my 1:1 DVD-R copy (on the basis that it ought to read better than a +RW and so play faster, not put so much strain on the laser etc etc...)? That way I could play it for a bit and then just erase the +RW when I'm done. Yes, I am really skint plus I hate wasting discs on principle!
wink.gif

Thanks!

Well already answered, but in case you still want to use the launcher, this problem is been since the first launcher and it hasn't been fixed, so I really think it is because it can't be fixed, that's why we recurred to patch the .iso, there is a 002error in some newer games and the patch of the .iso came out like 15 later, after that the fixed launcher came out a few hours later, the thing is, those games want to be readen by a lower IOS and the launcher forces them to IOS249, that's why the lost of Wiimote sync, and yes about your experiment, you are going to try it yourself, as not all the Wii's can read RW media, but still it is better to have it patched and you know it is going to work perfect, all this is IF you want to kept using the launcher...!!!
smile.gif

QUOTE said:
I have extracted the mii channel/shop channel from my wii using WUFE (both channels are newest)
i have the files
Mii channel
0000016.app
0000017.app
0000018.app
0000019.app

shop channel
0000044.app
0000039.app
0000022.app
0000032.app
0000039.app
0000048.app
0000047.app

how do i convert into a wad so i can use if i want to update my mii channel without wifi
(i know i already have the updated mii channel- this is just if i virgin my wii back to 3.2)
and am tring to get everything set so no wifi is needed to do it all.

You mean with FS_Browser..?? cause WUFE extract .wad files out the Game Disc, and to repack a .wad you need Blaze's Wad Packer and put the cetk, common-key files along with shared1 folder of your Wii in C:\Documents and Settings\Littlegreenmen\wii ...!!!
smile.gif

I installed the HBC with the twilight hack running system update 3.3U. I used the CIO update that came with backup loader 0.3 gamma. When I tried to use WAD manager 1.3 I got error 2011 whenever I tried to install a WAD. From looking on the boards I think my problem is that I actually had 3.3v2.
What should my next step be? Do I need to downgrade to 3.3v1? Should I update to 3.4 and reinstall the twilight hack (with 3.4 version)?
I would greatly appreciate some guidance

Search and perform the "Oct23rd Fix by pir8"...!!!
wink.gif

richy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@jaynecobb and ether2802 - thanks for the advice

I've now got some more questions though... sorry!

I didn't realise there were so many different ways of getting backups to run, I thought WiiGator's Backup Launcher was the only way until I actually started reading up more about it... I thought I'd got everything sussed but it's more complex than I first realised!

Is CIOSCORP the "best" way to softmod the Wii then?
I'm guessing the main issue with it is that you need to know what you're doing as you can brick the Wii more easily than if you just follow a guide to using Backup Launcher like I did... right? Apart from increased compatibility and being able to load straight from the disc channel does it fix any problems like 3x disc reading?

Are there any potential issues with replacing default system IOS files with custom ones? Let's say I wanted to update the system version in the future, could this be a problem? Presumably it would be possible to return everything back to its factory/virgin state if needed?

Sorry for asking so many questions but I guess I just want to "do it right" and then not have to muck about with it again. I've also got a mate who wants me to softmod his Wii and I dunno whether the Backup Launcher is the best route to take. I could do without him needing me to do any updates etc in the future too!
wink.gif

Thanks guys... you're very helpful!

Glittermoongdes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey this is in response to my posts a few up.

I ran AnyRegionChanger again like you suggested and the Softmii tweaked system menu is still there. I ran the Delete Hacks app and that didn't change anything either. What am I doing wrong?

Where can I download SystemMenu-v2xx.WAD - I read that if you install this with the wad installer you'll get back to the original system menu. But I can't find it anywhere! If I do this will Softmii be fully deleted?

cthg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With a Gecko SD can I put actual save files on it and use it like a memory card in the wii gc launcher?

Or can Gecko SD's only be used for SD_Boot and homebrew and other things like that?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Loft said:
Just out of curiousity (as I already know how to make my Wii a virgin again), say you've downgraded to 3.2 and have Gamma and Starfall on there (as per EmperorOfCanada's guide), what would happen if you used an offical update to 3.4?

Would the Wii just carry on functioning as a normal unmodded Wii again? (eg. only play official discs, updated Wii shop, no homebrew etc)

As long as nintendo doesn't release a new update:
Starfall would be gone, but the homebrew channel, the backup cIOS and (if you installed one) the backup channel would still be there and usable.

With a new update you really could "loose" all homebrew and backup stuff in the worst case, but i can't imagine that something of the 100% legitimate stuff gets damaged by this willingly by nintendo or accidentally.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
richy

Is CIOSCORP the "best" way to softmod the Wii then?
Yes I do think so, but it is quite dangerous because of the installation method (IOS30 is the support of the SysMenu, if the file or your SD are corrupted you are screwed)

I'm guessing the main issue with it is that you need to know what you're doing as you can brick the Wii more easily than if you just follow a guide to using Backup Launcher like I did... right? Apart from increased compatibility and being able to load straight from the disc channel does it fix any problems like 3x disc reading?
Exactly that's the main issue, but as I said IOS30 is the one that can screw you, I recomend to install the cIOS thru Wad Manager and let cIOS30 at the very end on a freshly reformated SD and with no error issues on any aplication, the 3X reading can't be done with software

Are there any potential issues with replacing default system IOS files with custom ones? Let's say I wanted to update the system version in the future, could this be a problem? Presumably it would be possible to return everything back to its factory/virgin state if needed?
There are no issues or problems reported so far, you can do whatever you want, if you perform an update the cIOS will be replaced back to normal IOS and then your Wii will become free of the CIOScorp pack (virgin is if you haven't even touched in the first place
laugh.gif
)

Sorry for asking so many questions but I guess I just want to "do it right" and then not have to muck about with it again. I've also got a mate who wants me to softmod his Wii and I dunno whether the Backup Launcher is the best route to take. I could do without him needing me to do any updates etc in the future too!
I wont recomend to do this for a friend, if need, borrow him your Zelda and tell him where to find the info, if something goes wrong, he can only blame himself for trying to do it...!!!
wink.gif

QUOTE said:
I have got my wii nand dump but how do i decrypt/extract it please
I don't know how to decrypt it, but you can do your decryoted dump with FS_Dumper instead of NAND Dumper...!!!
wink.gif

QUOTE said:
Hey this is in response to my posts a few up.
I ran AnyRegionChanger again like you suggested and the Softmii tweaked system menu is still there. I ran the Delete Hacks app and that didn't change anything either. What am I doing wrong?
Where can I download SystemMenu-v2xx.WAD - I read that if you install this with the wad installer you'll get back to the original system menu. But I can't find it anywhere! If I do this will Softmii be fully deleted?
You didn't run it all the way, cause ARC install a new SysMenu.wad over the existing, overwriting it, but if you want to try installing check at hackmii.com for the recovery disc or semi-brick fix disc and open the .iso with trucha signer and extract the SysMenu.wad...!!!
smile.gif

With a Gecko SD can I put actual save files on it and use it like a memory card in the wii gc launcher?
Or can Gecko SD's only be used for SD_Boot and homebrew and other things like that?

Yes you can use it like a GC memory card if that is what are you asking for...!!
smile.gif

killplaystation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
killplaystation said:
Could a pack like Softmii and preloader interfere with a drive-chip. I have a Cyclowiz, and i dont need a software backup loader linked to the disc channel.
So
How do i disable it? Do i need to?

Also the hacks.ini has things like "Region free Wii games" and "force disc region".
Would these work with the cyclowiz? (since it never got full-wii-region-free, without patching.) Or should i leave them out.
thanks

I don't think you need the entire softmii, just use the Any Region Changer inside the package to have real region free, and preloaer to have a fall-back (cause the region free don't really work) and you'll be fine...!!!
smile.gif

What about the "Custom System Menu" or customizable theme?
Would the "Skip disc update check" work?

killplaystation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NOTWORKING123 said:
is it possible to load a game from a sd card?i saw a gu y on youtube load brawl.
on youtube, i saw kids rip up train tracks and make a jump. And a train went by and off the jump, flying into the air and disappearing into the sky. And it looked so real. That doesn't mean it was

Glittermoongdes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a mod chip, i soft modded. So i can't run the fix disc can i? I should have mentioned that before. The any region changer said the install was fully complete - it took a long time to finish up. I guess I will try running it again.

- I tried extracting the SystemMenu-v289.wad from the fix disc iso on winiso but it didn't work. I read somewhere that you could do that if you don't have a wiikii, but I can't find just the wad file anywhere except places I have to enter my credit card # for a free trial. This is getting so frustrating, I wish I had just stayed with the Starfall!!

D

Deleted User

Here's what you can do:
1)Get a semi brick fix disc iso
2)Open it up with Trucha Signer or Wii Scrubber.
3)Extract the system menu WAD
4)Once done, extract the wad using wad unpacker.
5)Get the 00000042.app
6)Install it using softmii tweaks.

Normalboyninja

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Gabon
2 questions....

1. I have soft modded my wii with Gamma Backup Loader. I installed rev07 and everything... I'm still on 3.4U but backed up games work. Should i downgrade my Wii to 3.2U? Will I be able to?

2. Homebrew Browser doesn't load in Homebrew Channel. It says "X This is not a valid Wii Application." What's up?

Glittermoongdes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Omg I finally did it!

I downloaded WiiScrubber (soo hard to find key.bin tho)
loaded semi brick fix iso into it
extracted system menu wad
put the wad onto my sd card
installed with wad manager

Now is it safe to reinstall starfall?
I would prefer to reinstall softmii without the tweaks, but I'm afraid the same thing will happen with it not offering all of the hacks (skip updates etc) like before.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Normalboyninja said:
2 questions....

1. I have soft modded my wii with Gamma Backup Loader. I installed rev07 and everything... I'm still on 3.4U but backed up games work. Should i downgrade my Wii to 3.2U? Will I be able to?

Shure you will be able to, if you have a working Internet Connection. I would also recommend it. Look here for a little more Infos.

2. Homebrew Browser doesn't load in Homebrew Channel. It says "X This is not a valid Wii Application." What's up?

It's probably an .elf-File, some of them don't work anymore with the newest Homebrew-Channel. Convert it to a .dol with the Tool here, and it should work

Zozzy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
Hy guys, I have some problems with the new GC Backup Loader: I don't know, how to install it!

The readme in the package is just as clear as a swamp, and I'm really stuck here. I already installed WiiGator's Wii Backup Launcher, which had simple instructions, but with the GCBL, there are folder I don't even know what to do with! Pls. help me!

Also, I'm on 3.1E (everybody says they have 3.2/3/4), and I don't have a Net connection on the Wii. Could these be a problem?

BMasterP

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
WiiPower said:
BMasterP said:
OK here is my noob question. i started out on a pal wii 3.3, installed hbc with backuploader gamma, then when softmii was released (.9.5 fixed health screens) i installed that one. so downgraded tot 3.2e and now have a working wii. I know i can't update from the nintendo servers. but i am wondering, what now when a game comes out which needs an update to play. What then?

Until now you only need the IOS requested by the game and a update skipping method(included in softmii as far as i know). If nintendo doesn't do really big changes, all you need to play new games in the future is to extract all IOS from the game, see which IOS are on the disc and not installed on your Wii and install them. But if a new game with a new IOS is released, i'm 100% sure, there will be an update for cioscorp(the backup part of softmii), with a cIOS instead of this IOS and precise instructions how to upgrade this.

From this i get that a Cios is just a "hacked" IOS ?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
BMasterP said:
WiiPower said:
BMasterP said:
OK here is my noob question. i started out on a pal wii 3.3, installed hbc with backuploader gamma, then when softmii was released (.9.5 fixed health screens) i installed that one. so downgraded tot 3.2e and now have a working wii. I know i can't update from the nintendo servers. but i am wondering, what now when a game comes out which needs an update to play. What then?

Until now you only need the IOS requested by the game and a update skipping method(included in softmii as far as i know). If nintendo doesn't do really big changes, all you need to play new games in the future is to extract all IOS from the game, see which IOS are on the disc and not installed on your Wii and install them. But if a new game with a new IOS is released, i'm 100% sure, there will be an update for cioscorp(the backup part of softmii), with a cIOS instead of this IOS and precise instructions how to upgrade this.

From this i get that a Cios is just a "hacked" IOS ?
cIOS means custom IOS ,so yeah its a hacked IOS

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
killplaystation said:
What about the "Custom System Menu" or customizable theme?
Would the "Skip disc update check" work?

Yes Skip Disc Update works and of course you can customize your theme..!!
smile.gif

QUOTE said:
Now is it safe to reinstall starfall?
I would prefer to reinstall softmii without the tweaks, but I'm afraid the same thing will happen with it not offering all of the hacks (skip updates etc) like before.

just install preloader v0.28, don't use the tweak tool anymore, cause that is what changes your graphics...!!!
smile.gif

Hy guys, I have some problems with the new GC Backup Loader: I don't know, how to install it!
The readme in the package is just as clear as a swamp, and I'm really stuck here. I already installed WiiGator's Wii Backup Launcher, which had simple instructions, but with the GCBL, there are folder I don't even know what to do with! Pls. help me!
Also, I'm on 3.1E (everybody says they have 3.2/3/4), and I don't have a Net connection on the Wii. Could these be a problem?

You have to put the installer and the launcher in:
SD:/apps/cMIOS installer/boot.dol
SD:/apps/run launcher/boot.dol

then enter in the HBC and load and run the cMIOS installer, when it finishes then run the launcher, that's it, you don't need to be on 3.2...!!!
smile.gif

Littlegreenmen

Trophies
XP
Country
is there stuff available so all the following could be done offline.
1.downgrade from 3.4-to 3.2
2.is there a version of ios downgrader that just use wads instead of wifi.
3.install cios rev7 offline
4.mii/shop channel update offline

i ask as if the big N changed stuff on there server like location of files in the future than some homebrew may fail when tryin to download ios's

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3