XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Use modmii to upgrade your hacks - seriously you'll thank me later. And actually we recommend base 57 in slot 249 and base 56 in 250, but this is a recent change. Once upon a time it was believed that base 56 was slightly faster, but this was never proven to be true.

Newer cios's support backup loading from fat32 and ntfs hard drives, so no more burning discs or wbfs partitions are necessary. Base 57 has the best compatibility and d2x v8 final is pretty much the culmination of all the cios's that came prior.

H4X0R46

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use modmii to upgrade your hacks - seriously you'll thank me later. And actually we recommend base 57 in slot 249 and base 56 in 250, but this is a recent change. Once upon a time it was believed that base 56 was slightly faster, but this was never proven to be true.

Newer cios's support backup loading from fat32 and ntfs hard drives, so no more burning discs or wbfs partitions are necessary. Base 57 has the best compatibility and d2x v8 final is pretty much the culmination of all the cios's that came prior.
Cool! So in theory though, just installing cioses over my old ones would work just fine though right? And would neogamma still be able to read disc backups with iOS 249 like this? I hardly use disc backups anymore, but since I have the old hardware for it, might as well keep it ready.

Also, does installing cioses still require a patched ios to be in place? example trucha patched 36 or ios 236? Or is that old news? Is Hermes still used for HDD support? I'm stuck in the old way of doing things and re learning really lol thanks so much for the help!

ChristianWS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So... I used ModMii to build Neek for me, specifically SNEEK+DL, since I wanted my emunand on a SD card rather than the HDD, installed some wads on it and I've put it on my Wii.

I've followed a tutorial I've found on GBA temp on how to make everything work with USB Loader GX, one of the first steps is using the option to boot into the Neek Emunand, however, I only got a black screen, could I have overlooked something? The settings on USB Loader GX points to the correct hand, and the games appears as normal, but I can't boot using Neek

Edit: Nevermind, I changed from SNEEK+DL to SNEEK and it worked like a charm

Last edited by ChristianWS,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And would neogamma still be able to read disc backups with iOS 249 like this? I hardly use disc backups anymore, but since I have the old hardware for it, might as well keep it ready.
Yes, modern CIOS still come with DIP patches
(bonus fact: if you have Priiloader, you can enable the "force discs on IOS249" patch, and change the setting to run Wii Menu on 249, and you get backup DVDs directly on Wii Menu without having to install darkcorp)

Also, does installing cioses still require a patched ios to be in place? example trucha patched 36 or ios 236? Or is that old news?
You need to be running an IOS with the trucha bug, to install fakesigned titles, as has always been true; the new development is in the underlined part, as newer generation wad managers (like Some Yawmm Mod) can take advantage of AHBPROT* to temporarily add trucha to the currently running IOS

Is Hermes still used for HDD support?
If you mean CIOS 202, which used to be popular for homebrews benefiting from USB 2, that's pretty much deprecated (in fact many homebrews actively removed support for it) - official IOS 58 supports it too, and since the HBC now prefers IOS 58, that's become the new standard IOS for homebrew

* AHBPROT is a hardware register containing options that basically allow the main CPU to directly access things normally reserved to IOS; when a title (such as the HBC) is ran from the Wii Menu (which itself runs with elevated privileges), AHBPROT gets set to the setting declared in the title's metadata, and HBC asks for everything, so HBC can in theory read and write anything;
HBC will also pass these full permissions to any homebrew with "no_ios_reload" in the meta.xml (changing IOS normally causes loss of permissions), allowing for modern CIOS-free system tools

H4X0R46

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, modern CIOS still come with DIP patches
(bonus fact: if you have Priiloader, you can enable the "force discs on IOS249" patch, and change the setting to run Wii Menu on 249, and you get backup DVDs directly on Wii Menu without having to install darkcorp)

You need to be running an IOS with the trucha bug, to install fakesigned titles, as has always been true; the new development is in the underlined part, as newer generation wad managers (like Some Yawmm Mod) can take advantage of AHBPROT* to temporarily add trucha to the currently running IOS

If you mean CIOS 202, which used to be popular for homebrews benefiting from USB 2, that's pretty much deprecated (in fact many homebrews actively removed support for it) - official IOS 58 supports it too, and since the HBC now prefers IOS 58, that's become the new standard IOS for homebrew

* AHBPROT is a hardware register containing options that basically allow the main CPU to directly access things normally reserved to IOS; when a title (such as the HBC) is ran from the Wii Menu (which itself runs with elevated privileges), AHBPROT gets set to the setting declared in the title's metadata, and HBC asks for everything, so HBC can in theory read and write anything;
HBC will also pass these full permissions to any homebrew with "no_ios_reload" in the meta.xml (changing IOS normally causes loss of permissions), allowing for modern CIOS-free system tools
Lot of great info here! Thanks! So if I'm getting you right, let's say I'm working with an unmodded Wii entirely. (Gonna be doing a friends console soon here).
Steps as I understand it.
1) Update console to 4.3 normally.
2) Install Homebrew channel (letterbomb probably)
3) Install cios 236 from installer app.
4) Remove stubs with Dop-Mii (is this needed?).
5) Install d2x cios to slot 249 with base 57.
6) Install d2x cios to slot 250 with base 56.
Done, should run backups from disc and HDD. (Correct me if I'm wrong here).

Last edited by H4X0R46,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Steps as I understand it.
1) Update console to 4.3 normally.
2) Install Homebrew channel (letterbomb probably)
3) Install cios 236 from installer app.
4) Remove stubs with Dop-Mii (is this needed?).
5) Install d2x cios to slot 249 with base 57.
6) Install d2x cios to slot 250 with base 56.
Done, should run backups from disc and HDD. (Correct me if I'm wrong here).
Yes, that works fine (it's very close to the Modmii way, which will generate you a detailed guide and download all homebrews and wads for you, if you prefer), but an equally valid way is:
1, 2) - as you said
3) Put premade cios wads on SD (from modmii), use Some Yawmm Mod in AHBPROT mode to uninstall them (removing the matching stubs) then install them
4) install the newest Priiloader (which is recommended to do even if modding your way, and I actually would not recommend the Priiloader recommended by Modmii just because it's an older version)

The Wii is very flexible and so is the definition of "modded wii", for example if you were not interested in backups of physical Wii games you could do away with CIOSes entirely... "Guide" really just means "this is how it works for me" :)

Reactions: H4X0R46

H4X0R46

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that works fine (it's very close to the Modmii way, which will generate you a detailed guide and download all homebrews and wads for you, if you prefer), but an equally valid way is:
1, 2) - as you said
3) Put premade cios wads on SD (from modmii), use Some Yawmm Mod in AHBPROT mode to uninstall them (removing the matching stubs) then install them
4) install the newest Priiloader (which is recommended to do even if modding your way, and I actually would not recommend the Priiloader recommended by Modmii just because it's an older version)

The Wii is very flexible and so is the definition of "modded wii", for example if you were not interested in backups of physical Wii games you could do away with CIOSes entirely... "Guide" really just means "this is how it works for me" :)
Sweet! You're awesome man, thanks for the pointers! Does priiloader kind of work like bootmii? I have an old Wii and have bootmii loaded as boot 2. I was lucky to get the Wii when it was new. My buddy getting a Wii might not be so lucky.

Let's talk brick protection, is there something newer than bootmii as boot 2 since very few Wiis can actually have this?

EDIT: I installed d2x in 249 with base 57 and 250 with base 58. USB loading works, but any time I try a disc backup, I get a disc cannot be read error. Using Neogamma R9 Beta 56. Why is that?

Last edited by H4X0R46,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sweet! You're awesome man, thanks for the pointers! Does priiloader kind of work like bootmii? I have an old Wii and have bootmii loaded as boot 2. I was lucky to get the Wii when it was new. My buddy getting a Wii might not be so lucky.

Let's talk brick protection, is there something newer than bootmii as boot 2 since very few Wiis can actually have this?
Bootmii in boot2 is still the 2nd most reliable unbricking method (the best one would be a nand backup, hardware programmer, and the skill to fit it to the console), consoles that don't support bootmii/boot2 only have Priiloader as next best option
(Bootmii in boot2 requires boot1 and boot2 to not be corrupted to work, Priiloader needs boot1, boot2, the Wii Menu's TMD and IOS; and has to be reinstalled after installing a Wii Menu)

That said even a console with Bootmii in boot2 can benefit from Priiloader, since it can be controlled using a wiimote, can directly boot homebrews* (to fix a banner brick & uninstalled HBC, or for that matter if you use the new Open HBC which won't be normally launchable by BootMii due to its new titleID, or simply to skip the Wii Menu by default and go to an usb loader) and channels, and can apply mods (hacks-hash) to the Wii Menu
* so can BootMii with "cboot2", but it's clunkier to setup

Bootmii as IOS254 is good for nand backups (and to run Wii Linux if you want to try that), but requires a gamecube controller to restore a backup (even horizontal Wiis support them, but you have to add the ports and a few SMD components - I guess it's still cheaper and easier than soldering a nand programmer)

No idea about Neogamma, I don't even have a Wii drive that supports non-original discs anymore to try...

EbTar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
Hi all,

I just purchased a 2nd hand Wii model: RVL-001(UAE) and I am looking for some advice on this matter, I have done loads of research this past week on reddit / youtube / google.... and before I begin, I would like some confirmation that I am on the right path.

Is the below link the most up to date guide on getting the HBC and backing up the nand via BootMii?

(Just realized that I cant paste links because I am a new member, anyways the link I was referring to is the Complete Softmod Guide)
If so, my next concern is that the Wii's firmware version 3.1U and as mentioned before, it is a Wii model RVL-001(UAE).
I would like to update it to 4.3U.
I am aware of the Korea .003 brick and I am worried that I may brick this Wii on the off-chance that it is a repackaged Korean Wii in another enclosure (I have seen people online mention this).

My question is: on firmware version 3.1U, can I install HBC and do the Nand backup before updating as a security measure in case it gets bricked?

If not, What are my other options for backing up before updating to version 4.3U?

Thanks for any help that I can get!

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

I just purchased a 2nd hand Wii model: RVL-001(UAE) and I am looking for some advice on this matter, I have done loads of research this past week on reddit / youtube / google.... and before I begin, I would like some confirmation that I am on the right path.

Is the below link the most up to date guide on getting the HBC and backing up the nand via BootMii?

(Just realized that I cant paste links because I am a new member, anyways the link I was referring to is the Complete Softmod Guide)
If so, my next concern is that the Wii's firmware version 3.1U and as mentioned before, it is a Wii model RVL-001(UAE).
I would like to update it to 4.3U.
I am aware of the Korea .003 brick and I am worried that I may brick this Wii on the off-chance that it is a repackaged Korean Wii in another enclosure (I have seen people online mention this).

My question is: on firmware version 3.1U, can I install HBC and do the Nand backup before updating as a security measure in case it gets bricked?

If not, What are my other options for backing up before updating to version 4.3U?

Thanks for any help that I can get!

I would also recommend using ModMii: https://gbatemp.net/threads/modmii-for-windows-official-support-topic.207126/

It has a great user interface. It'll download everything you need just by answering a few questions. It'll also generate a step by step guide on what to do. Just read through the guide a couple times before doing anything to make sure you understand what you're doing and all will go well. I've used ModMii to mod about 40 Wii's myself over the last 7 years.

Reactions: XFlak

ChristianWS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have a weird question:

I know USB Loader GX can't b manually organized, however is there some sort of secret way to rename titles with a hidden character or something to force some sort of organization?

I would like to have everything be organized alphabetically, but titles in a series to be organized by release date, i.e Ocarina of Time before Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker after Majora's.

I wonder if there's any way to rename it to, let's say

The Legend of Zelda (1) Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda (2) Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda (3) the Wind Waker

But have the (*) be hidden on the actual USB Loader GX

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...