Hardware Not trying to piss off switch buuuuut.....

3DS XL type Switch model is a necessity

• I need that in my life.

Votes: 22 16.3%
  • The switch is fine, now apologize to your bros.

Votes: 113 83.7%

• Total voters

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Higher resolution switch id buy, I wouldn't buy a bigger switch.
I wouldn't buy a bigger switch either, but I don't see why would I need more resolution. The screen already is 720p and Xenoblade 2 plays at 360p most of the time when undocked anyway.
Better than more resolution, less downclocking, so it at least uses the resolution that is already available.

Manana

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't buy a bigger switch either, but I don't see why would I need more resolution. The screen already is 720p and Xenoblade 2 plays at 360p most of the time when undocked anyway.
Better than more resolution, less downclocking, so it at least uses the resolution that is already available.

Wait, but didn't you say the text was almost unreadable on the current resolution?

SimonMKWii

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I really feel like I have to say this, and I'm not trolling I swear. I purchased a switch recently and I found myself not liking the feel of it in my hands. Compared to other "True" portables it's just too damn big. Now I'm not one to complain,I wrestled in college so complaints tend to go out the window, simply put, It's super rare that I ever bitc#. I payed for this thing because Nintedno advertises it as a portable and while technical by definition it is "portable", it's just too damn big to take any where with me w/o a backpack. I got in a huge argument with my brothers and we even got into the Webster's definition of portable. They both think it's a portable in the sense that a laptop and tablet are portable. Technically they are right but damnit, imho if it doesn't fit in your pocket, it's not a "True" portable. They need to make a smaller version asap, Who's w/ me?
This is the perfect example of a useless thread.

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
making the switch smaller would be pretty hard. What makes this console different than nintendo's previous ones is that this is the first handheld I believe that is active cooled for nintendo. Most of the space inside a switch is occupied by the battery itself, followed by the heatsink/fan combination. The switch already doesn't have the best of battery life, and making the heatsink smaller isn't very viable

Last edited by GBADWB,
Reactions: Manana

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wait, but didn't you say the text was almost unreadable on the current resolution?
The problem is not the resolution but the screen size. The text is just too small in some games.
Yeah, you could fix that by making the screen bigger (not the resolution). But any bigger and it will be a pain to hold and play.
In the other hand extra resolution may be nice only if the games use it... and the problem is many of them don't even use the 720p resolution when portable, e.g. Xenoblade 2 runs 360p in many cases.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

PanchoCilantro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I completely feel you. It isn't quite as portable as previous handhelds. I think most can say they want more of a handheld device instead of a tablet. I love the switch. But some of us need the mini asap

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

They will make a smaller one soon.
I love the confidence, there is hope yet.

Reactions: Manana

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Now that's interesting to read!
When I first got the Switch I told myself: what a small screen! (as I used to game on a tablet)
But I quickly realized the Switch is perfect the way it is (between small and big) and it fits perfectly fine in my messenger bag which also carries my tab s2, note 5, j5 prime and their charger.
I'm sure you can get a minimalist bag for the Switch which you could even tie to your trousers.

Last edited by Zumoly,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, when I say a resolution increase, I also mean a increase in processing/GPU power.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I really feel like I have to say this, and I'm not trolling I swear. I purchased a switch recently and I found myself not liking the feel of it in my hands. Compared to other "True" portables it's just too damn big. Now I'm not one to complain,I wrestled in college so complaints tend to go out the window, simply put, It's super rare that I ever bitc#. I payed for this thing because Nintedno advertises it as a portable and while technical by definition it is "portable", it's just too damn big to take any where with me w/o a backpack. I got in a huge argument with my brothers and we even got into the Webster's definition of portable. They both think it's a portable in the sense that a laptop and tablet are portable. Technically they are right but damnit, imho if it doesn't fit in your pocket, it's not a "True" portable. They need to make a smaller version asap, Who's w/ me?
My argument is quite the opposite... I find the Switch and Joy-jons too small. Especially compared to the Wii U gamepad which fit my hands wonderfully.

I'm hoping for a Switch XL with XL Joy-Cons. You know, for ADULT-sized hands.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My argument is quite the opposite... I find the Switch and Joy-jons too small. Especially compared to the Wii U gamepad which fit my hands wonderfully.

I'm hoping for a Switch XL with XL Joy-Cons. You know, for ADULT-sized hands.
Just put a thick case on it. My Mumba heavy duty case makes it much more comfortable in my large man hands.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Um" did you use voice input lol? No, type in the definition of portable of google. It it states and I quote

Portable - able to be easily carried or moved, especially because of being a lighter and smaller version than usual.

Well..

Portable Devices
There's no standard definition for "portable device," although this term probably has been in use longer than the term "mobile device." As the name implies, a portable device simply means something that is small and lightweight enough to move around and carry with relative ease. Even the first laptop computer, the Osborn 1, which weighed a whopping 24 pounds, was considered a portable computer.

"Portable" is a broad term that encompasses everything from a printer that can be carried around to a smartphone you carry in your back pocket. The term occurred much more frequently before laptops and smartphones became popular, perhaps because before the smartphone revolution there was a clear distinction between computing devices that could be (fairly) easily moved and those that couldn't be.

Portable versus Mobile
These days, most gadgets—including phones, tablets, and laptops—are more often considered mobile devices. The distinction is a fine but important one. Rather than focus on an item's portability and ability to be carried, the "mobile device" term describes how it helps us users: They're small and capable enough to allow us to be mobile.

The term mobile device also connotes wireless connectivity. If a mobile device doesn't have internet access, we probably wouldn't consider it a very capable productivity enabler these days.

The connectivity question could now be the fine line between "portable" and "mobile" devices. An external hard drive or external battery pack, for example, might be considered a portable device, while a small wireless hotspot could be considered a mobile device.

In the end, differentiating between the two terms might be like splitting hairs, since most gadgets—portable or not—are getting wireless or connectivity features.

There are a ton of portable devices now these days, though, from media players and game consoles to wearable computers and smartphones. We've come a long way so that even monitors are now portable and mobile.

D

Deleted User

I agree with op. 3ds xl with a 99% screen will be way better then the current switch. cant go with a bag everywhere, and the switch doesnt fit in my huge pocket. but then it will become less "tablet" and more "smqrtphone" and I like the idea of this... but then then the controllers will be too small and idk how they will put all this into a smaller package if they barely did anyways... it is already heating too much...

for those saying it would be too small for readable text- well it all depends on how large the text is. on 3ds I never had a problem reading text even on 2ds, because text is just larger.

Reactions: PanchoCilantro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Just put a thick case on it. My Mumba heavy duty case makes it much more comfortable in my large man hands.
No, like... the buttons and joysticks are TOO SMALL. They cramp my hands, the sticks are too flimsy and short, etc. No amount of rubber thumbstick covers or coverings will help these matters. They just need a bigger version for adults.

Reactions: TankedThomas

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I dunno about you people, I can fit my switch in my pocket easily. x.x;
It isn't meant to.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I agree with op. 3ds xl with a 99% screen will be way better then the current switch. cant go with a bag everywhere, and the switch doesnt fit in my huge pocket. but then it will become less "tablet" and more "smqrtphone" and I like the idea of this... but then then the controllers will be too small and idk how they will put all this into a smaller package if they barely did anyways... it is already heating too much...

for those saying it would be too small for readable text- well it all depends on how large the text is. on 3ds I never had a problem reading text even on 2ds, because text is just larger.
They could easily make a 5-inch screen version with smaller attached Joycons for kids, more durable like the 2DS, and cutting costs where they can. They could sell it without a dock and shave $100 off the top as an entry-level contender.

Reactions: PanchoCilantro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...