NSO N64 games

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I have an OG switch with Atmosphere and Hekate, and was wondering what is needed to run the N64 games on NSO. Do most use Tinfoil or an emulator to do this? I have Tinfoil installed already, and the titles I want to play are Paper Mario, Yoshi's Story, Kirby 64, and Pokemon Snap. Are the games basically roms? Or a different kind of file? How.is the quality overall as far as glitches and speed go? This is very new to me, so any information and guidance you guys could offer would be appreciated!

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Let´s put it like this: you can get a Nintendo 64 - Nintendo Switch Online nsp-file on some sites in the net. The nsp can be installed via tinfoil and then you are good to go. The games you mentioned are included in the 2.9. version of N64 NSO.

Animage55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just need to install the app via whatever method you prefer and use something like linkleho to "link" your user acc to use offline. As for the emulator... idk its alright. Its at least better than it used to be. There is still no way to remap buttons inside the emulator or any way to remap buttons on a proper gamecube controller so i dun like it lol.

Last edited by Animage55,
  • Haha
Reactions: binkinator

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just need to install the app via whatever method you prefer and use something like linkleho to "link" your user acc. As for the emulator... idk its alright. Its at least better than it used to be. There is still no way to remap buttons inside the emulator or any way to remap buttons on a gamecube controller so i dun like it lol.
You can remap the buttons in the Settings applet.

Open settings, go to Controllers and Sensors, select "Change Button Mapping". Pick the controllers (or JoyCons) you would like to remap. Remap them as needed. Select "Save as Preset Mapping". Pick one of the 5 slots available. Give it a name. Play N64 comfortably.

Need to go back to stock? Go back into Controllers and Sensors, select Change Button Mapping, pick the controllers you remapped, select "Reset".

Now when you want to play N64 again, all you have to do is select your preset mapping that you made and do not have to remap them each time. See attached photos.

Edit to add: Its helpful to know the default mappings of the N64 game you plan to play before remapping the controllers to your liking!

Attachments

• 2023021808153400-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg
    2023021808153400-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 2023021808160500-1E95E5926F1CB99A87326D927F27B47E.jpg
    2023021808160500-1E95E5926F1CB99A87326D927F27B47E.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 72

Animage55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can remap the buttons in the Settings applet.

Open settings, go to Controllers and Sensors, select "Change Button Mapping". Pick the controllers (or JoyCons) you would like to remap. Remap them as needed. Select "Save as Preset Mapping". Pick one of the 5 slots available. Give it a name. Play N64 comfortably.

Need to go back to stock? Go back into Controllers and Sensors, select Change Button Mapping, pick the controllers you remapped, select "Reset".

Now when you want to play N64 again, all you have to do is select your preset mapping that you made and do not have to remap them each time. See attached photos.

Edit to add: Its helpful to know the default mappings of the N64 game you plan to play before remapping the controllers to your liking!
yeah that does not work for a gamecube controller thats connected via usb adapter

Animage55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's disappointing to hear. It works perfectly with my wired and bluetooth Switch Pro controllers and my JoyCons.
clarity edit *
Yeah :/ its also annoying if you want to use a legit gamecube controller on metroid prime remastered. The Z button on a gc controller is mapped to what is R on a switch controller which is just a redundant aim button in classic mode and as a result there is no way to access the game menu with a gc controller lol. In the original game Z was map and start was menu. But I assume that will eventually be patched by retro

Last edited by Animage55,

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah :/ its also annoying if you want to use a legit gamecube controller on metroid prime remastered. The Z button on a gc controller is mapped to what is R on a switch controller which is just a redundant aim button and as a result there is no way to access the game menu with a gc controller lol. In the original game Z was map and start was menu. But I assume that will eventually be patched by retro
I hope so. I don't often use my Switch docked, but I recently purchased a broken Switch specifically to "consolize" it. My plan was to use Gamecube controllers (with the Wii U adapter) to play (mostly) N64 games I used CaVE to add games to as it works slightly better than Retroarch's N64 core. This definitely changes plans.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody that plays the 007 Goldeneye on NSO64, I def recommend changing the button layouts, like @rcpd listed above. There's also lots of vids online showing they're fav settings for the game. Ex:

• Love
Reactions: binkinator and rcpd

Animage55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope so. I don't often use my Switch docked, but I recently purchased a broken Switch specifically to "consolize" it. My plan was to use Gamecube controllers (with the Wii U adapter) to play (mostly) N64 games I used CaVE to add games to as it works slightly better than Retroarch's N64 core. This definitely changes plans.
If nintendo cant fix it hopefully the awesome homebrew devs can xD

Reactions: rcpd and BigOnYa

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If nintendo cant fix it hopefully the awesome homebrew devs can xD
I've already maxed out my 5 slots and asked if it were possible to add more or even make a homebrew that allows us to save more than 5 so we can swap them in and out easily. It got zero responses. I've been investigating that in my free time.

Reactions: BigOnYa

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Haha
Reactions: rcpd

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did: https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.488277/post-10061915

Oh, I didn't. But, I did make an actual post here asking: https://gbatemp.net/threads/joycon-pro-controller-remap-save-files.625497/

I can't even find the damn things. No clue where they're saved to or if they're even obtainable. I've learned a LOT about how Horizon operates in the process though, so that is cool.

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let´s put it like this: you can get a Nintendo 64 - Nintendo Switch Online nsp-file on some sites in the net. The nsp can be installed via tinfoil and then you are good to go. The games you mentioned are included in the 2.9. version of N64 NSO.

Is Nintendo 64 - Switch Online an emulator or software? Is it something I need to download? Or is it already in the Switch?
So, I would get the 2.9 version? Where would I put the 2.9 N64 NSO and nsp file, to install using Tinfoil, on my Switch's SD card?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is Nintendo 64 - Switch Online an emulator or software? Is it something I need to download? Or is it already in the Switch?
So, I would get the 2.9 version? Where would I put the 2.9 N64 NSO and nsp file, to install using Tinfoil, on my Switch's SD card?
It's an emulator and games. You must download it.

Reactions: neko_koneko

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for letting me know! It sounds pretty convenient🙂

This may be a bit off topic, but if you know, is Kirby 64 still in the NSO N64 line up? I looked on the Nintendo site, and didn't see it listed. I know for sure I saw it before.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for letting me know! It sounds pretty convenient🙂

This may be a bit off topic, but if you know, is Kirby 64 still in the NSO N64 line up? I looked on the Nintendo site, and didn't see it listed. I know for sure I saw it before.
afaik, no game that's been in nso has been removed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Whats wong Xdqwerty?