NX-Shell - Multipurpose File Manager for Nintendo Switch

Hello everyone, the new release with the much requested USB support is finally here! (Couldn't have done it without @DarkMatterCore's usb library) It's worth mentioning since it is such a big update (backend changes and FS refactor) there *may* be some issues, but the only way I can find and fix those is through you guys! However rest assured, I did run a lot of tests myself to make sure it is functioning as expected. If I waited a month, it would've been exactly 2 years since the last release 🥺.

icon.jpg

Change-log:

• FS:
    • Added support for browsing USB devices.
    • Switched back to libc to handle FS operations.
    • Brought back support for browsing other devices such as safe, user and system.
  • GUI:
    • Update to imGui v1.88.
    • Switch to imGui's new keyEvent API.
    • The two views (File Browser and Settings) can now be navigated as tabs.
    • Switched from list view to a table view using imGui's table API.
    • Sorting is no longer applied from settings, it can be done directly by clicking on the table column headers.
    • A new selector has been added to allow the user to switch to different devices such as safe, user, USB etc.
    • Settings are no longer categorized by imGui's tree system.
    • No longer uses SDL2 as a backend, but instead uses opengl v3 directly (along with egl).
  • Fixes:
    • Properly delete config file if the config file version is outdated.
    • Properly free textures after exiting application.
    • Fixed scrolling via the right joystick after zooming into an image.
    • Lots of code clean up and under the hood changes that are too many to list here.

f43g1ya.jpg

3dU0ciU.jpg

2022080419235500-a282ce99633b844e0497db963451d670-jpg.321175

Download: https://github.com/joel16/NX-Shell/releases

Last edited by Joel16,

enderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if I understand.
I was trying to keep it similar to how google chrome views PDFs, if you set it to a certain aspect ratio (like fit to screen, or zoom in), pressing next keeps the same aspect ratio for the rest of the pages until you manually change it.
i'm reading comic books with this app. so when i turn the page, i'm given the bottom of the next page because i'm zoomed in at the bottom of the previous page, then i scroll up and start at the top. i've only just started reading, but i imagine a point in time when i'd see something at the bottom of the page out of order and it'd give away things early. i know it's probably weird, but it seems like a small and easy fix.

in short, start each page of a pdf at the top

faz999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Current version: 1.05 Stable

Features:

- Delete files folders.
- Copy/Move files and folders.
- Rename
- New folder
- Displays file size. (files only ATM)
- Image viewer (PNG/JPG/GIF/BMP)
- Extract .ZIP files.
- Sorting options (Sort by name, date, size).
- Dark theme toggle.
- Audio playback. (Following formats are supported: MP3, MIDI, FLAC, OGG, WAV and MOD) - Shuffle/Repeat.
- Touch screen.
- eBook Reader (Supports the following formats: PDF, CBZ, FB2, EPUB) --> D-PAD Up/Down - zoom in/out, D-PAD left/right or L/R or touch - previous/next page, and the circle pad is used for positioning the viewpoint.
- Multi-select items for delete/move/copy.

BigOsMH.jpg

Zk3iRkv.jpg

5UCClKq.jpg

3mBA5KP.jpg

Controls:
Code:
- Press X to bring up options.
- Press A to confirm/enter directory.
- Press B to cancel/leave directory.
- Press Y to multi-select items.
- Press Minus to bring up menu bar.
- D-Pad is currently used for navigation only.

Download (Please note this is a very early beta, just releasing this to get some opinions on this)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for all your hard work. Love the pdf reader. Any chance for a text reader. At the moment I use Win3.1 via DOSBox to read/write txt files. This is becoming a bit of a pain as you can imagine. I suppose I could use QBASIC (thru DOS), but then again...
Thanks again. Looking forward to an update with a text reader for Christmas.
Happy Holidays, John

Reactions: Mothafuckka

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I added you to the bounty wiki page. not that it changes anything, but I'm just keeping track of the entries here.

I came here to see if there were a text editor feature (because I added it to the wiki), and I see it's requested by the user just above me.
I hope you'll add a text editor, and maybe even a json editor? A lot of homebrew now rely on json for settings, it would be nice to have a json interface, not just a text editor.

Good luck on the bounty :)

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So there is a surprise in this **test** build.

There's no audio at the moment. (Also please don't try to load a huge file. Things are very much in early stages therefore certain things may crash here and there, you may also need to use a video that is 1280 * 720) After the video stops it may loop again, and the only way to exit this would be to use the home button to prevent hard crashes. More to come!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OxD_XfFHFiM-uos30M4lUEcaMnvTOQx5

Last edited by Joel16,

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland

There's no audio at the moment. (Also please don't try to load a huge file. Things are very much in early stages therefore certain things may crash here and there, you may also need to use a video that is 1280 * 720) After the video stops it may loop again, and the only way to exit this would be to use the home button to prevent hard crashes. More to come!

Is it possible to get the player added to 3DShell?

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Probably not.
Thank you for replying.
Also I find the logic of cursor movement some kind of strange.
If there are lots of files in a folder, after moving the cursor to the bottom, then move upwards, the cursor always stay at the bottom line,
so it is not quite the same with windows explorer or others, sometimes I feel confused. It is the same situation with 3Dshell, is it going to be changed or not?

frostii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I really appreciate what you're doing for the community! But I have to ask - how's the USB functionality coming along? I would've thought that the ability to plug in and read USB drives would be more of a priority than a video player.

Are you working on that too? Sorry if this comes across as an entitled prick! Just curious, is all!

Thanks.

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States

I'm going to ask the important question here: Will this support ass subs and matroska containers when it's finished? ;)

...I mean, I'm assuming you're using ffmpeg, so the answer is probably 'yes' but hey.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for replying.
Also I find the logic of cursor movement some kind of strange.
If there are lots of files in a folder, after moving the cursor to the bottom, then move upwards, the cursor always stay at the bottom line,
so it is not quite the same with windows explorer or others, sometimes I feel confused. It is the same situation with 3Dshell, is it going to be changed or not?

Yeah, I haven't really spent any time on that since it doesn't break anything just looks different. I'll probably fix it at some point but there are other things which have more priority at the moment.

I really appreciate what you're doing for the community! But I have to ask - how's the USB functionality coming along? I would've thought that the ability to plug in and read USB drives would be more of a priority than a video player.

Are you working on that too? Sorry if this comes across as an entitled prick! Just curious, is all!

Thanks.

I don't really have things in order. There are still quite a bunch of pending features in this that I don't even know where to begin with :P Also I'm not sure what people are expecting really, "USB Support" as in accessing usb storage devices? or USB mass storage (mount SD as a usb) Because I know atmosphere (tma host services) should be implementing usb soon. I just work on whatever I feel like I could use my time on, since I don't have much of it at the moment. After I get my winter break it should be better.

I'm going to ask the important question here: Will this support ass subs and matroska containers when it's finished? ;)

...I mean, I'm assuming you're using ffmpeg, so the answer is probably 'yes' but hey.

Lol, I haven't gotten audio to work yet, so I can't comment on subs. FFMPEG is quite new to me, so with my limited time it'll take a while. Maybe someone more experienced with this could pitch in :P

frostii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really have things in order. There are still quite a bunch of pending features in this that I don't even know where to begin with :P Also I'm not sure what people are expecting really, "USB Support" as in accessing usb storage devices? or USB mass storage (mount SD as a usb) Because I know atmosphere (tma host services) should be implementing usb soon. I just work on whatever I feel like I could use my time on, since I don't have much of it at the moment. After I get my winter break it should be better.

Thanks for the reply.
I was referring to the ability to plug in say, a flash drive, and copy its contents across to the sd card.
As my system is completely offline, I don't use FTP or any of that stuff. Being able to leave my sd card in the Switch and not have to boot up via RCM each time would be perfect for me!!!
Thanks again.

Last edited by frostii,
Reactions: Joel16

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Lol, I haven't gotten audio to work yet, so I can't comment on subs. FFMPEG is quite new to me, so with my limited time it'll take a while. Maybe someone more experienced with this could pitch in :P

I wish I could help, but unfortunately ffmpeg's API is arcane wall scribbling to me. I'd rather attempt to get libmpv compiling instead and build a player based on that since it's higher level and there's less implementation details to manage, but I'm almost certain waf will prove a pain in the royal ass to fix for devkitpro.

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Great job on the video player feature, hopefully this will mature and get usable in the future, you have all my support m8, NX-Shell truly is one of the key homebrew to have on your switch.

Absintu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, I haven't really spent any time on that since it doesn't break anything just looks different. I'll probably fix it at some point but there are other things which have more priority at the moment.

On the USB support that we want, it's the first one we want. Mount USB hard drives..

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the USB support that we want, it's the first one we want. Mount USB hard drives..
Not to sound rude, but I'm not getting paid to do any of this so its not really about what you want. I don't even have a device (usb C) to test this with. I'll have a look when I get my break.

Last edited by Joel16,

Absintu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Not to sound rude, but I'm not getting paid to do any of this so its not really about what you want. I don't even have a device (usb C) to test this with. I'll have a look when I get my break.
Well, I was just giving an answer to your post.

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I was just giving an answer to your post.

It might be a language barrier issue, but as a native English speaker it came off as very disrespectful. Especially after he just told you that he is not writing it because atmosphere is writing it. It feels like you are trying to push him to waste his time writing something that someone else is already writing, because it is *your* number one priority.

Absintu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It might be a language barrier issue, but as a native English speaker it came off as very disrespectful. Especially after he just told you that he is not writing it because atmosphere is writing it. It feels like you are trying to push him to waste his time writing something that someone else is already writing, because it is *your* number one priority.
It wasn't me who made the request I already requested this in a nice way, many pages before this one and never touched this issue again for that reason. Another user requested that and I only replied saying what type of USB support ppl are expecting. Nothing more. Keep up the good work

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: as to you