LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK Now I'm going to say WTF...

http://www.engadget....nlive-confirms/

Apparently, they decided to say "reset the damn game" to their business. They basically decided to downsize, which makes sense but had to "disappear" as a company to do so :P Smart and cruel at the same time. Either way it's business as usually and the games aren't going anywhere so I'll continue playing "LOTR: War in the North" after I'm done watching SmackDown! :D

LINK289

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I enjoy the service o.o

I got Arkham Asylum for $2 and Deus Ex HR for $1. My Internet is horrible and my computer is old so I can only play them at friends houses and hotels while traveling. I am still glad I have the option to play good games whenever I get the chance xD

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enjoy the service o.o

I got Arkham Asylum for $2 and Deus Ex HR for $1. My Internet is horrible and my computer is old so I can only play them at friends houses and hotels while traveling. I am still glad I have the option to play good games whenever I get the chance xD

A trick for slower connections (aside from making sure you're using a wired connection) is to drop your screen resolution (600x480). That tends to help people with really crappy hardware or "barely making it" connections.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been covering this stuff lately myself for my own game news site.

Plus being on of the original Onlive Fans Cast members helps a little. (podcast thing)

From what I've gathered, the service is not shutting down.
Not to mention any playpass has a contract of which they are abligated to host it for a minimum of three years.
So they can't shut it down without some sort of compensation.

It all sounded like the worse but it seems they are just changing hands and moving around shares.
All beit a little weird as they fire half thier staff and such.
Bizaire really.

Overall the service is still operational, though I'd be wary to purchase a game till things calm down a bit.

See if they might start to get things straight for once.
Lack of communication has been one of their biggest flaws over the years for instance.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Now that I have a very good internet connection and I was seriously thinking of getting onlive...this happens !
I purchased ( so to speak ) the free game last week and I'm very happy and thrilled with the service,as it runs on my netbook nearly flawlessly, alto ugh I have a very good connection ( >25mbps ) I still get a slightly choppy framerate that could be due to my weak netbook hardware.
I was actually thinking of getting a middle-of-the road laptop or even the onlive microconsole and get their playpack.
But now, even though the service is not even remotely close to being shot down, the future doesn't seem so bright anymore and I'm not too sure I should invest money in this, or get a better PC capable of playing today's games.......Mhmmmm

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania

Do panic if you're an investor.

This is the reason I like to buy my games as physical or digital copies.....Because There's always the risk that a service like this has a big chance to fail, and if you purchased any games from them you won't get the game files, so if they fail, you remain with nothing.
Oh no, you remain with something....with a hole in your pocket.

It is also reported the service will be probably be acquired by a new company and continue operations, so don't panic.

So no, people still have their games.
Yeah, don't panic if you're a subscriber. But if another company buy a business it's not guaranteed that they'll continue with the same thing...
So....if you're a subscriber, then yes, you don't have to panic, because you'll still receive news from them and newsletters, but if you invested in the program and the whole thing is changed by the new owner company, than you're pretty much screwed.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been an OnLive user (not for a while but I used to use it frequently) and it's a quality service, it'd be a shame to see it vanish. It was a great idea that worked surprisingly well, all things considered, and I enjoyed playing on it a lot. I beat Bioshock on it, I beat Arkham Asylum on it, I beat W40K: Space Marine on it, as well as a multitude of other titles. It works well and some of the deals were really good too.

Hopefully they'll be sticking around or absorbed into a larger company like Gaikai did with Sony.

Reactions: 1 person

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like we're going to have a OnLive vs Gaikai patent war...

http://m.joystiq.com...uncing-layoffs/

Considering that Pearlman is acting without remorse (for the mass layoffs) I cant honestly say that I will be dropping any more major purchases in the service. I'll still use my account but cautiously.
I wonder if the 1800 number is true. If it is I don't see the company doing any better except maybe having less expenses maybe....

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been covering this stuff lately myself for my own game news site.

Plus being on of the original Onlive Fans Cast members helps a little. (podcast thing)

From what I've gathered, the service is not shutting down.
Not to mention any playpass has a contract of which they are abligated to host it for a minimum of three years.
So they can't shut it down without some sort of compensation.

It all sounded like the worse but it seems they are just changing hands and moving around shares.
All beit a little weird as they fire half thier staff and such.
Bizaire really.

Overall the service is still operational, though I'd be wary to purchase a game till things calm down a bit.

See if they might start to get things straight for once.
Lack of communication has been one of their biggest flaws over the years for instance.

I agree with he lack of communication situation. It looks like Steve Pearlman sole the company to (wait for it, wait for it) ... himself. Crazy because apparently it was to get out of a few contracts that was killing business. I'm glad to see that the service is still going. Hopefully, not that they have downsized, they can focus more on what's important... THE GAMES!

Quick Edit: I'm sure the will make some of that money back once OnLive sues the shit out of Gaikai because of the patents OnLive now holds! :D

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
...but I just bought Saints Row 3 and Bioshock on it...

:(
If you had read the topic as well as other follow-up stories you would've known that they're downsizing through a rather sly method, they're not really going out of business.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If you had read the topic as well as other follow-up stories you would've known that they're downsizing through a rather sly method, they're not really going out of business.
If you had read his comment, you would realize he never specified whether or not he thought that he would lose his games.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
OP
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP

They did go out of business.
http://kotaku.com/59...-expect-the-end
tldr: It wasn't officially declared a bankruptcy, but they were instead bought out by investors and are being reorganized. They failed, ran out of money and are now a completely new entity.

8000 servers, 1600 concurrent subscribers at any given time. That isn't a business model.
It's just amazing they lasted as long as they did. I hope the layed-off employees find work soon. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one