Hardware Only Startup and System Sounds - No Game Sound

GaroK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Since I have no TV or monitor with speakers, I tried one of those "VGA to HDMI" with a headphone jack output.

I was positively suprised when I actually heard sound when starting the console and navigating through XMB, just to be negatively suprised when I actually launched games or any apps. No sound, and once launched something system sounds are gone too, have to restart PS3 to get it back.

Is there any way to fix this? The adapter seems to work, the sound is there until I start something, it may be a matter of tweaking some options.
My sound is set to HDMI in the settings, tried tweaking Audio Multi Output and Key tone, but no positive effect.

GaroK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
sound doesn't go through VGA, but HDMI can output sound, using a VGA to HDMI isn't the same as HDMI to HDMI.
I'm not sure if I get you, but the adapter I'm using DOES have sound. It works perfectly on PC, and half-works on PS3 - there IS sound in XMB, question being how to actually make it work with games.

GaroK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You might have to try a tv that has HDMI.
What difference does it make? The adapter already enables sound via headphones, it's just a question why it doesn't work with games in particular and is there a way to fix it. And as I said, I do not have access to TVs or monitors with speakers.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The PS3 allows you to output audio from a separate port. If you are using an HDMI to vga cable to output video to a vga monitor then if you have regular or standard cables for a ps2 or ps1 you can plug those into the port on the back of the PS3 console then change in the system settings where the sound is output from. You will still get video from the hdmi port while getting audio out from the older standard port.
I'd have to say the reason it is working in the XMB is due to it not being considered protected audio and when a game starts it's switching to HDCP mode and needs a proper handshake via HDMI to decode the audio.

EDIT:
It's not ideal but this might work.
Ok the link won't post. But you can look at this one and find it.

You would need to put an additional hdmi cable between this and the ps3, thus the handshake could take place then output that video via your HDMI to vga cable and output the audio via this box and not the HDMI to vga cable. Supposedly it works to decode HDCP audio from an HDMI source.

Last edited by fringle,

GaroK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ok, after scouring foreign internet I managed to find half-solution.
The sound would work if I went to display and changed resolution. The sound would then disappear from XMB but reappear when booting the game, but you would still need to do it everytime you launch PS3.
Thing is, I managed to do it like 4 times, but after few hour break I can't seem to do it again, can't remember if there was a small step that I'm missing. Will report back when I figure how it works exactly.
Post automatically merged:

After playing with several settings with little success, I simply tried to turn games on and off, and sometimes the sound would work, most of the time not, leading me to believe it's just random (or involving factors I do not understand), the only constant being having to change resolution in display settings everytime I quit the game.

EDIT: Sometimes simple solutions are the way to go. Managed to get my hands on another, very similar adapter. Sound works out of the box everytime without convoluted setup, meaning previous adapter was just faulty, or at least not fond of my PS3 as it still worked fine with PCs.

Problem solved.

Last edited by GaroK,
Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/j3OhV1och50?si=7RFGXMYCwKgKIZ5G the drake and Kendrick love story continues