Hardware Opening/Soldering the WII *INFO*

emirof

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Have you guys got any good advice for how to remove bridges between the legs you solder on. It feels like theres solder under the legs and the Solder Wick won't reach it there. Also when I put my soldering iron on the bridged area I see the bridging solder melt but as fast as I remove the heat it's gone again.

Any advice since I've been trying to desolder the same legs for some hours now ?...XD

ben_r_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you guys got any good advice for how to remove bridges between the legs you solder on. It feels like theres solder under the legs and the Solder Wick won't reach it there. Also when I put my soldering iron on the bridged area I see the bridging solder melt but as fast as I remove the heat it's gone again.

Any advice since I've been trying to desolder the same legs for some hours now ?...XD
Well if youve been applying heat for long periods of time to desolder it you might have damaged it... Have you tried putting liquid flux over it and then tried desoldering it?

slacker99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK I got this from Radio Shack, (although in mine legs are straight, and in the picture they are bent)

pRS1C-2160514w345.jpg

My intention is to take a WiiKey and solder it to this, then snap it into a Wlip.

Do you think it will work, can it work?

Then where the heck do I solder the wires that I already attached to the WiiKey, to the top part or the legs of the IC? Anyone have a link to an image to see which Wiikey points map to which pin

I don't think the legs because that is what will snap into the Wlip.

I am doing this because I am also getting a programmer soon and want to also try out the Open Source chips with a simple 8 pin pic, and i don't want to ruin that piece on the Wlip, and not need to unclip the Wlip wires from their adapter.

Thanks

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there

Im gonna chip my wii and i have bought the wii key already

Just wondering if

1. http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=217761&doy=9m2

Would this solder iron be ok for it?

And

2. Which wire should i get?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criter...&source=15&SD=Y

My wii is the older version before the legs were cut off

CheersÂ
grog.gif

Firstly that solder iron is 25w. You risk damaging the wii if you use that. Ive linked a 15w miniture one at maplin below.

Solder iron: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...CFRMXQgodrxdVCg

From ebay, this is cheap and perfect 30awg wire.

Wire - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kynar-Wire-30AWG-5-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

Make sure you test soldering on other objects first (ie a old pci graphic card or something) because if you are a begginer, chances are you might mess your wii up. If it looks like its going bad, stop and get someone else to do it!

wtflux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hummm, seems all I can find is stranded 28AWG wire and Im not so sure that Id like to do stranded with this time of project... Anyone else use stranded and find it to be okay?

seconding this question.
every local store is out of 30AWG wire. is 28awg or larger acceptable? what's the largest acceptable size? does it have to be stranded or non-stranded wire? i saw an earlier post saying someone modded with a wiinja using 28awg, but i want more confirmation/want to know if there are any drawbacks besides "its hard to fit in."

also, is the DMS chipset compatible with the wiikey or is it ONLY d2a/d2b? if DMS isn't compatible, is there any way i can know FOR SURE what chipset i have if wiitracker gives me a 40-60 probability?

much love to anyone kind enough to reply, i've looked around and i'm getting a headache now.

Vampant

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi

Managed to solder my wiikey, but once i put it slightly back together it did not work when trying to pick up the setup disc.

I tried normal games and they worked fine and the wii loaded up fine

Could it be the type of disc i used as this was very cheap or possible not solder right?

Thanks

ben_r_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, forget the wires, the D2CKey with FlexPCB is the way to go! Two done in a hour each! Thats good IMO. A Metcal SP-200 and a 30 degree bent conical tip was used.

jay1369

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is great guys! There are actual free offers that you can complete to earn stuff. Each point it equal to one dollar so signing up and completing offers is really worthwhile. PM me if you have any other questions!

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am a bit confuse with the video...to opent the first few screws, do we need a philips screwdriver or the tri screwdriver =/
I mean, It looks like a 4 sided kind of screw...so yea...I am a little confuse on just opening the wii -.-''

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Damn, I am currently opening my wii and I am at the part where we take out the top lid and pull out the thing with wires connected to it...Problem is it's kind of hard to pull out =/ I think if I tug any harder it will get damage...any one have any advice?

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kevenka said:
Damn, I am currently opening my wii and I am at the part where we take out the top lid and pull out the thing with wires connected to it...Problem is it's kind of hard to pull out =/ I think if I tug any harder it will get damage...any one have any advice?
Squeeze it gently, there are some tabs that hold it in place.
wii-frontpanel.jpg

You can see them there, that's about where you gently squeeze while pulling it off. You did remove all the screws under the rubber feet, right?

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
anyone have a picture of where all the screws go =/
I was able to put the chip in but now...I can't remember where each of the screws go -.-
I also think there was 3 small screws for the black matted thing near the controller area, but i only have 2 now...could i possibly lost the third small one?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.coca-cola.com/xe/en/media-center/wozzaah-launch