Hacking OTPless method should be returned for reducing brick chance

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You all can throw out percentages and what have you, but it's obvious that you aren't listening.
It wasn't removed because it could cause a brick, hell if that were the case, the entire guide won't exist. It was removed because of the unknown cause(s) behind the bricks. The current methods has known brick causes, which is why it's trusted and used. But the OTPLess method did not, which is why it was removed.
Once they find the cause(s) behind the bricks and the problem is fixed, it will be readded to the Guide.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OTPless shouldn't be in the guide until the issues with it are figured out, IMO. It's still an option, you can still do it on your own. Very little positives will come from adding it back if it still causes bricks seemingly randomly.

Reactions: k3rizz3k

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OTPless shouldn't be in the guide until the issues with it are figured out, IMO. It's still an option, you can still do it on your own. Very little positives will come from adding it back if it still causes bricks seemingly randomly.
Given that the bugged code works for the majority of users, I wouldn't say "seemingly" in there.
I'd say that it's significantly more random than a dice roll. Maybe it won't be in future, but the difference between something being random and being deterministic is knowledge. Because everything is deterministic.

I'd personally rather have to manually downgrade each title and then manually grab the OTP from my system with a pair of tweezers and a dongle that plugs into my PC, before compiling a custom installer that uses said OTP than use a "simple" tool that can bugger my stuff through no fault of my own. And anyone who wouldn't is honestly insane. I vote for keeping power user resistant tools out of the guide that's meant to be idiot proof.

Reactions: satan89

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
You all can throw out percentages and what have you, but it's obvious that you aren't listening.
It wasn't removed because it could cause a brick, hell if that were the case, the entire guide won't exist. It was removed because of the unknown cause(s) behind the bricks. The current methods has known brick causes, which is why it's trusted and used. But the OTPLess method did not, which is why it was removed.
Once they find the cause(s) behind the bricks and the problem is fixed, it will be readded to the Guide.
And effectively the otpless is still there if you know what your looking for.

i.e. guide already points out how to get a9 access [Browser (decrypt9)] and how to use otpless installer [Updating a9lh] : marrying the two gets you an otpless install guide from OFW

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OTPless as it is right now will soon be obsolete. There are people working on dumping the bootrom to exploit sighax.
Sighax is like A9LH 1.5, with the primary advantage being a one step installation, just write the half-signed Firm payload.

SonicCloud

miss americana.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry , but no.
OTPLess method caused random bricks and Aurora Wright never discovered what was causing the bricks , that's why the 2.1 ctrtransfer got back. With the 2.1 method .Any brick that happens is and will be user error (like putting in sleep mode a n3ds or update from system settings a n3ds) or a faulty SD.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Perhaps, but I believe that a guide as popular as Plailect's has a particular level of responsibility considering that so many people use it, and I would argue that having OTPless as a suggestion is irresponsible, as it just opens people to up to random bricking, when there's no good reason not to do a ctrtransfer, which has an effectively zero chance of bricking anyway.

I don't disagree, I just don't think that it's the guide's place to do that. If you really want to use OTPless (and put yourself at unnecessary risk), then it's your responsibility to educate yourself about it.

When people are conditioned into following guides blindly they are screwed anyway, so whether otpless is included doesn't really matter. The old versions are all over the internet so there is no stopping anyone from trying it if they really want to.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When people are conditioned into following guides blindly they are screwed anyway, so whether otpless is included doesn't really matter. The old versions are all over the internet so there is no stopping anyone from trying it if they really want to.
Would you rather they just jump in this without a guide and have a greater chance of bricking than without? Would you rather someone just jump into a jet and fly it around without having some sort of lessons (GTA V), or drive a car without classes? Guides are there for folks who can't afford to break things, and for safety. Researchers have done the work and figured out the best methods for getting successful results. The OTPless method has had random bricks, and they made the decision to remove it out of safety, and will bring it back when they have nailed down the cause of the bricks.

The CTR Transfer method has known reasons for bricks, and the guides explain very carefully what you must do. Anybody who doesn't read the guide or skims it is risking their systems more than those who read the guides completely. My first 3DS I installed A9LH to involved downgrading to 9.2 then 2.1 using downgrade cia files. Unlike some folks I know, I read the entire guide 3 times, and then I downloaded every file for every step to my computer before I even started. It was time consuming, took me almost 2 days, but I took the time and read the guide carefully, every single step, to ensure I didn't break my system.

Now the guide has less steps! It takes me only 2 hours to install A9LH. I managed to install it to 6 3DS systems over the course of 2 weeks. I think these guides are useful, and should be read very carefully, with disclaimers where there should be, and only have working methods with known troubleshooting points in the event something goes wrong. Random bricks are not known troubleshooting points, except to just say "You're screwed. Wah wah!", and nobody wants that.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here's a hypothetical scenario:

You are given two choices. You can either Follow Guide A, which is shorter than Guide B, but there's an unknown chance of you getting a brick. There isn't any known way to stop it, so it's entirely up to chance you'd get it. You may get it, you may not. So far, the number of bricks compared to successful results are slim. Less than 10%. But again, we don't know the cause of the brick, so you're taking a chance you may not be able to afford.

Guide B is longer than Guide A, but all steps have been thoroughly tested and vetted. As long as you follow each step, and read them over carefully, not skipping anything, you should be good. If something appears to go wrong, we have steps to verify if it's a brick or not, and methods to fix it if it's recoverable. This guide ensures that the most likely chance of a brick is User Error.

Given these two guides, which would you take? The random chance of bricking, slim but out of your control, or the one where a brick only happens when you don't follow instructions?

Reactions: Xiphiidae

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given these two guides, which would you take? The random chance of bricking, slim but out of your control, or the one where a brick only happens when you don't follow instructions?
Guide A. If you go by straight statistics, the average user who has never hacked anything, read the guide or otherwise has no knowledge of the scene, how any of this works, or the reason behind all of the steps in the guide, has a higher chance of committing user error or following faulty advice from other users who don't know what they're talking about than they would using OTP-less. A brick is a brick, regardless of why it happens. Understanding it's your fault may make you humbler about the outcome but in the end, it boils down to numbers. I feel that if OTP-less was recommended to the average new come user, it would result in less bricks then the current guide, simply because there's less chance to mess up.

For someone who knows the guide inside and out, has modded several consoles, is part of the scene and knows how it all works, then absolutely use Guide B, because their chance of brick is less than 3%. The average newbie though? Much higher in my belief.

Last edited by DocKlokMan,

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people just can't follow guide, it would be better for them to have simple safe guide. There is no reason to think that OTPless brick flaw is impossible to fix, OTPless bricks can be restored, unlike lid bricks as far as i know.

Why do you think that OTP is more danger than stupid user who can't follow guide?
It's due to randomization of data. None of the devs have run into it personally. Don't expect a fix.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Y9WKPRUjNQ4?si=raUf8jEiET8rmH2P