p1ng's Nintendo Switch hands-on impressions

Hi guys, I recorded a quick audio log of my thoughts immediately after attending the Nintendo switch hands on preview. The footage taken is from my phone and nothing special, just filler for the sake of showing what the event was like that is relooped halfway through.

I also just saw the prices of the switch peripherals and games, frankly I was disgusted. I felt that I needed to record an extra ten minutes of audio to voice my concerns. The prices for the games and accessories for the switch are purely Nintendo gouging its fanbase. Nothing can justify the prices here, in my opinion if these prices are not lowered by a good 30% across the board the switch is DOA and will fail.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How is the launch window worse? Also as i had said, its too early to tell.

Call me optimistic. Didnt know temp has basically no optimism, sometimes i think some of you guys just hate life.

hate life. lol no. the opposite i dont have fucking time for such bullshit what Nintendo is doing now.

sooner or later your going to die, when that happens its just hothing. i dont have time for fucking rehash shit. i want to play great sweet sweet games now.

Last edited by Flame,
D

Deleted User

Man, the Temp is pessimistic as fuck, while I can agree the pricing is high, expect a price drop sooner or later.... Jesus cant get over this irrational pessimism people have.
"Somebody didn't agree with me they are automatically pessimistic"
Grow up. We shouldn't have to wait for a price drop. That's what people were saying about the wii u. Still hasn't happened.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hate life. lol no. the opposite i dont have fucking time for such bullshit what Nintendo is doing now.

sooner or later your going to die, when that happens its just hothing. i dont have time for fucking rehash shit.
Not saying you specifically hate life, just people here on temp. As I had said call me optimistic. :P
Just an interesting video for those interested (terrible english, I know):

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be fair, the joy cons do have far more features in them than even DS4 controllers. Object recognition, HD (haptic) rumble, full motion controls, NFC reader/writer, and two controllers in one. Still, Nintendo certainly isn't doing themselves any favors here. They're going to have a hard time explaining why the controllers cost as much as they do. We'll probably see some pretty quick price drops, ala 3DS release.
There's absolutely no reason why each controller should have NFC - that belongs on the main unit. All it does is increase the price point of the controllers, there is no actual benefit from this design choice. 3D haptic feedback is great, I guess, but ultimately a gimmick. I still don't see anything that would justify the price - you can get a full-blown low-end smartphone for that kind of money. The bar for entry should be low - the controller and the system need to be cheap in order to get people to buy games - you only ever buy one to three extra controllers, but you buy software throughout the lifecycle - it makes sense to hammer people on software, not the one thing that is absolutely required to sell the software in the first place.
they've been reusing the same design for 20 years now, of course their stuff is cheap.
nintendo buys custom hardware to put into its mini controllers. no way they would be cheap to make.
First of all, every Dualshock iteration brought new features to the controllers, second, they're also all custom. Just because the form factor is similar doesn't mean that the technology is.
also, if you want to play with others, have them get their own switch...
You sound like a great party host. Y'know what *my* guests do when they're over at my place? Grab a drink and a spare controller. I don't invite them under the condition that they own the same system that I do, that's ridiculous.
no one cared about being able to point and click on your tv screen before the wiimote either.
Newsflash - people still don't. I use the d-pad/analog stick in menus almost exclusively. The Wii is still effectively the only system that uses a pointer in the default configuration, unless you want to count the PS Move and the Kinect which are add-ons. By the way, crediting Nintendo with implementing pointers on consoles is also silly - a number of systems before the Wii used mice and other pointing devices - light guns were a thing for decades.

Last edited by Foxi4,

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Somebody didn't agree with me they are automatically pessimistic"
Grow up. We shouldn't have to wait for a price drop. That's what people were saying about the wii u. Still hasn't happened.
The wii u's price has dropped. Once the 3DS's price dropped it began selling very well, I expect something similar with this. This why I call the temp pessimistic, Pessimism doesnt require reason, just ignorance.

D

Deleted User

The wii u's price has dropped. Once the 3DS's price dropped it began selling very well, I expect something similar with this. This why I call the temp pessimistic, Pessimism doesnt require reason, just ignorance.
I could say literally the same about optimism. You being blinded by your love leaves you ignorant to the fact that these prices shouldn't have been so high in the first place. "Nintendo needs to make money" or "It's new wait for price drops" isn't an excuse. Maybe it will start selling better in 1-2 years when it has a price drop, but it's just too expensive in my opinion.

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I could say literally the same about optimism. You being blinded by your love leaves you ignorant to the fact that these prices shouldn't have been so high in the first place. "Nintendo needs to make money" or "It's new wait for price drops" isn't an excuse. Maybe it will start selling better in 1-2 years when it has a price drop, but it's just too expensive in my opinion.
Im not disagreeing with you, I see the issues. The prices shouldnt be this high, weve just got to hope they drop.

Reactions: Deleted User

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The Wii U's price dropped because warehouses cost money and sometimes it's cheaper to sell out your stock than to stockpile it. Hell, it was cheaper for Atari to bury their stock in the middle of the desert at one point in time, what does that tell you? Nintendo needed the Wii U out of their hands and in store stockrooms, hence the slashed price. Sometimes you have to cut your losses while you still can.

Last edited by Foxi4,

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Wii U's price dropped because warehouses cost money and sometimes it's cheaper to sell out your stock than to stockpile it. Hell, it was cheaper for Atari to bury their stock in the middle of the desert at one point in time, what does that tell you? Nintendo needed the Wii U out of their hands and in store stockroom, hence the slashed price. Sometimes you have to cut your losses while you still can.
I was trying to make more of a reference to 3ds but ok :P

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Wii U's price dropped because warehouses cost money and sometimes it's cheaper to sell out your stock than to stockpile it. Hell, it was cheaper for Atari to bury their stock in the middle of the desert at one point in time, what does that tell you? Nintendo needed the Wii U out of their hands and in store stockroom, hence the slashed price. Sometimes you have to cut your losses while you still can.

plus the fact that Nintendo was working on a new console was like the was kept secret in history. people the two people just wouldn't have not brought it if it see a price cut.

thats another sad thing this could be the replace for the DS style even old fashioned style handheld replacement.

where one area where Nintendo product sells like hot cakes.

Last edited by Flame,
D

Deleted User

"Nintendo needs to make money" isn't not an excuse, but it is a very poor one, considering you have people who don't even want to buy a Switch because of the price.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The 3DS is made out of obsolete tech - it was obsolete on arrival. They had room to slash prices, here they don't. It's already relatively cheap considering what's supposedly under the hood. I guess we'll see what happens. I don't have a problem with the main unit's price point, it's all the seemingly necessary add-ons that concern me. Nobody on Earth will convince me that a standard USB-C charger should cost almost 30 quid - there's nothing to it, it should be 10, 20 at most, depending on amperage.

Last edited by Foxi4,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All features nobody cares about that inflate the price for no reason. The joycons are impressively accurate but I would have taken a £40 cut in price for the console and the joycons and left out the waggle shit and HD rumble that nobody cares about.
*all features you don't care about.

Does everybody project their opinions on everybody else?

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The 3DS is made out of obsolete tech - it was obsolete on arrival. They had room to slash prices, here they don't. It's already relatively cheap considering what's supposedly under the hood. I guess we'll see what happens. I don't have a problem with the main unit's price point, it's all the seemingly necessary add-ons that concern me. Nobody on earth will convince me that a standard USB-C charger should cost almost 30 quid - there's nothing to it, it should be 10, 20 at most, depending on amperage.
If its maxwell the tech will be three years old by Q2. Manufacturing costs will definitely reduce allowing for a price reduction. Yeah 30 is hilariously high. I have one for my Google Pixel so ill have to hope it works with switch, but the console comes with a charger so why would i want another one?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

*all features you don't care about.

Does everybody project their opinions on everybody else?
yes, yes they do. We really shouldnt.

D

Deleted User

If its maxwell the tech will be three years old by Q2. Manufacturing costs will definitely reduce allowing for a price reduction. Yeah 30 is hilariously high. I have one for my Google Pixel so ill have to hope it works with switch, but the console comes with a charger so why would i want another one?
If you lost yours, I guess, but I wouldn't want to buy one from Nintendo if it were expensive as balls, I'd rather buy one from the dollar store or something.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's more or less telling me to take care of those JoyCons and not have to pay for replacements, if I'm not mistaken, the Joycons come with the system. I really need and want the Pro, so I'd be looking at that, $70 USD, Switch is $300, Zelda BOTW with Prime benefit, $52 I think, woof. That's about the same price I paid for the PS4 Pro (shipping and tax included). The price is brutal more to people who want the party and local multiplayer experience, especially families who always looked at Nintendo as the cheaper alternative. Well...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To take it with me without having to unhook the base one each time. As for the architecture, it doesn't matter - it's a customised chip and it's likely in a smaller lithography than the original Maxwell chips. If it actually does reach 1TFLOP FP32, the Switch is quite possibly the strongest gaming tablet that's coming to market this year, as even the new X2 (which scores 1.5TFLOP FP16/750 GFLOP FP32, if rumours are to be believed) doesn't reach those heights. It's most definitely costly from an R&D and manufacturing point of view.

Last edited by Foxi4,

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you lost yours, I guess, but I wouldn't want to buy one from Nintendo if it were expensive as balls, I'd rather buy one from the dollar store or something.
yeah, once USB-C becomes standard, £30 would be something to laugh about.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

To take it with me without having to unhook the base one each time. As for the architecture, it doesn't matter - it's a customised chip and it's likely in a smaller lithography than the original Maxwell chips. If it actually does reach 1TFLOP FP32, the Switch is quite possibly the strongest gaming tablet that's coming to market this year, as even the new X2 doesn't reach those heights. It's most definitely costly from an R&D standpoint.
Definitly but im still expecting manufacturing costs to go lower.
It has to do 1TFLOP FP32 for it to have such high UE4 presets.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Definitly but im still expecting manufacturing costs to go lower.
It has to do 1TFLOP FP32 for it to have such high UE4 presets.
They will, but not before March. The PS3 was recovering from a crap launch period for years and it took almost a decade for the system to catch up to the 360 - we've been through this, Nintendo is walking in their footsteps with pricing, and that road has no happy ending. This is a critical period for the system and they're!blowing it, again. As for the Unreal engine, it famously runs on almost anything, so I'm skeptical until I see a proper teardown.

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They will, but not before March. The PS3 was recovering from a crap launch period for years and it took almost a decade for the system to catch up to the 360 - we've been through this, Nintendo is walking in their footsteps with pricing, and that road has no happy ending. This is a critical period for the system and they're!blowing it, again. As for the Unreal engine, it famously runs on almost anything, so I'm skeptical until I see a proper teardown.
Well that matters on what tier? UE4 Mobile or Console/PC? I dont think nintendo is, but we'll just have to see.
Edit: This console will definitely sell well in Japan, i can see it selling double the Wii U (Splatoon 2 and DQ11 will destroy sales)

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
All features nobody cares about that inflate the price for no reason. The joycons are impressively accurate but I would have taken a £40 cut in price for the console and the joycons and left out the waggle shit and HD rumble that nobody cares about.
I care, but that's because I already have an extremely capable gaming PC and I don't want another bog-standard gaming box. The more unique features the better. Doesn't mean they didn't take it too far with the pricing, of course.

Reactions: Kioku

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.