fateastray

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sony decided to release Patapon 2 as a download-only game. This means that if you want to lend it out, give it away or sell it, you're screwed. Especially the people who sell games when they're bored with it, now you can only delete it. Another reason to pirate, huzzah.

QUOTE said:
Earlier today, the interwebs began buzzing with the rumor that Patapon 2 would only be available via the PlayStation Store -- i.e. downloading it would be the only way to play it. If you bought the game from a brick-and-mortar store such as your local GameStop, the rumor said that you'd just be buying a voucher that allowed you to download the game when you got home.

According to Senior Director of Corporate Communications at Sony Computer Entertainment Patrick Seybold, everything you've heard is true.

"We're considering a digital-only format for the Patapon 2 release as a one-time test case as we continue to explore consumer preferences for digital content," Seybold told IGN. "The downloadable game will be available on May 5th at both retail and via the PlayStation Store. We remain focused on providing superior games and entertainment experiences in both the UMD and digital formats and are working closely with our partners to deliver the best PSP line up in our history."

While you've been able to buy vouchers for games from stores before, this is a first for the PSP and will only fuel rumors that the PSP2 will only play downloadable games. We'll have more information -- such as the possibility of different price points -- as it becomes available.

Source: http://psp.ign.com/articles/972/972368p1.html

Opinions?

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
We have the UMD of it in store here in Australia but I'm not against online only distribution. I love Steam, even if I can't sell on games I no longer play.

If the rumor about the online download only UMD-less PSP-4000 is true then it makes sense that they're testing the waters.

soliunasm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Opium said:
We have the UMD of it in store here in Australia but I'm not against online only distribution. I love Steam, even if I can't sell on games I no longer play.

If the rumor about the online download only UMD-less PSP-4000 is true then it makes sense that they're testing the waters.
I'm not against it either, but they should be doing a UMD and also a DL version. You can choose if you want the UMD, or if you want the Download from PSN.
I'm a guy who loves physical media.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
While I was very happy to see Japanese Patapon 2 available for download via PSN for cheaper, I agree that SCEA should have given users a choice between UMD and DL.

I think Patapon 2's North American price is lower than second-hand Japanese Patapon 2 UMDs to begin with. So even though you can't sell the game, you never paid much in the first place. (Or you can "share" it with 4 other people, possibly charge them?)

And DL versions can become harder to pirate if Sony wanted it that way.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Digital distribution never bothers to take into account the fact that some countries have strict bandwidth limits; at least Sony are being considerate about this by releasing a UMD version in heavily restricted countries like Australia, while the US, which largely has unmetered bandwidth, gets a download-only version. Digital distribution is a great idea in countries where it's practical, so I have no problem with this.

soliunasm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deathfisaro said:
While I was very happy to see Japanese Patapon 2 available for download via PSN for cheaper, I agree that SCEA should have given users a choice between UMD and DL.

I think Patapon 2's North American price is lower than second-hand Japanese Patapon 2 UMDs to begin with. So even though you can't sell the game, you never paid much in the first place. (Or you can "share" it with 4 other people, possibly charge them?)

And DL versions can become harder to pirate if Sony wanted it that way.
It's 20$ in the US, same with Loco Roco 2 and the original Patapon, however, some people like physical media. What if Sony goes bankrupt(God forbid), their servers shut down, and your Memory Stick requires a format? That's why physical media is good, because you can play the game regardless if the company exists anymore or not.
However, this argument can be tied to DRM in general. Also, you're essentially buying a box with the code in it at retail.

You can also pirate Downloadable games, just not the DLC.

ImaginationLand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i guess i have to buy a bigger memory stick..
wacko.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, watching the first episode of the anime we were talking about last night