PC power issue

ARVI80

Trophies
XP
Country
Your PSU is dead, something has malfunctioned and the circuit breaker is kicking in to stop it from frying your computer or even you. The button you are pressing is the BIST ( Built-In Self-Test). Dont mess around trying to fix it unless you are a qualified electrician and even then I would not bother, once these PSU's fail they tend to only break again and again even if you start replacing parts or fix the circuitry.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What ARVI80 said.
Just replace your PSU, PSUs carry high currents and can store charges for a while which can kill you if you open them up and mess around with it.

Reactions: impeeza

ARVI80

Trophies
XP
Country
Although it's possible a motherboard can fry a PSU it's highly unlikely. A good quality PSU connected correctly will not be damaged by overload from the motherboard.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That Dell PSU is definitely dead lol

The old Dell power supplies back in the '90s / 2000s (or pretty much any Dell/Compaq/HP/Gateway/etc product in that era) have bad capacitors due to a certain unnamed manufacturer we still don't know.
For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Buy one that fits your case and has the right wire length and connectors. Those OEM power supplies are very specific.

The Dell ones are particularly worse because some use proprietary 24 pin wiring. Meaning you can't plug in a regular ATX 24 pin power supply without conversion.
Reference: https://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=339053

Yours might use the standard ATX 24 pin, but be sure and check it.

It is not recommended to repair the power supply because it can hold a charge big enough to kill you.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
You make me remember my old old old inspiron wich have a intrusion dectection and if you remove the case lid you must enter a password on BIOS Boot and if you enter the wrong one 4 times your hard drive gets formatted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste