Hardware Permanent Fix for Loose Fitting Joycons :)

Justeego

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
But plastic is what got us into this mess in the first place
If you are careful pressing release buttons and not plugging upside down things I doubt they can be damaged, also the type of plastic may be harder. Remember that you can always replace them for 2-3 bucks, but if screw's holes are damaged it will be very painful

Last edited by Justeego,

x3n0

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lots of virgins in here who don't know how to slide things into places correctly

Nintendo has a guide for this.
The "impotant note" under the detach guide made me wonder about effects of not pressing the release button and wear on the buckles.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would not recommend doing this.
You may have noticed that the rails on the Switch itself are metal while the rails on the JoyCons are plastic.
There's a reason for that.
They are made of plastic to ensure that the parts that wear out are the cheaper and easier to fix JoyCons rather than the main unit.
By replacing part of it with metal parts, the rails on the Switch are going to start wearing out as well, and that will be a harder fix not to mention void your warranty.

I was going to mention this exactly as well. Let the less expensive joycon's break rather than the unit. Good idea, but use with caution.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's how easy it is to make the joycon sit tighter. The only thing you're doing is create just enough pressure between the controller and the console. It doesn't ruin anything, it doesn't leave any marks. It just works really well. I'm using clear gorilla tape. I had to provide a picture to show how simple it is. The tape is just wide enough that it covers the railing and extends like two millimeters up on each side inside the rails. You can't see that on the picture.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Here's how easy it is to make the joycon sit tighter. The only thing you're doing is create just enough pressure between the controller and the console. It doesn't ruin anything, it doesn't leave any marks. It just works really well. I'm using clear gorilla tape. I had to provide a picture to show how simple it is. The tape is just wide enough that it covers the railing and extends like two millimeters up on each side inside the rails. You can't see that on the picture.
That's a much better option, at least it won't wear out the Switch's metal rails very easily.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
The fix with superglue would probably work, but I would try milliput/epoxy putty (eg. it's a two part putty that cures hard). Sand it down, and boom, a replacement.

Probably was designed to fail. Drop your console, blam, joy-cons break/fall off, but the switch itself won't be that damaged...

x3n0

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I received the buckles today. Fitting them was quite easy. The joy cons lock in to place very well. Nice find, thanx OP.

Reactions: ploggy

warmo161

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been looking at these for a while but I think it would be better to keep replacing the parts with new plastic ones (Thats what I would do, im to worried about the damage)

I wonder what would happen if nintendo revised the design in a years so time?

x3n0

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm curious how people in the "damage-camp" see the damage those metal parts inflict on the switch rails. When you slide the joycons on the switch the amount of contact is about 5mm. It is more a notch where the buckle hops over. I do not see the problem (am I missing something?).

The wrist straps on the other hand do slide by the complete rail when attached or removed. I could understand wear on those rails. But those straps are $6 a piece, no problem there I suppose.

I wonder what would happen if nintendo revised the design in a years so time?

What would you expect the revision would be?

x3n0

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There is a reason for why they are plastic, you could damage your switch..

Could you elaborate a bit more about how this "damaging" would work?

For instance, I could state that changing out my stereo in my car could damage my car. This statement does not explain the how and why so, in it self, it is not very useful.

When you explain the damaging part, for instance my screwdriver scratches the dashboard in my car, your statement becomes meaningful and we can discuss those viewpoints. I would like to find those viewpoints so people could make a better desicion.

I think the dropping your switch and the plastic buckles protect it from damaging hypothesis is debunked in this test.

Reactions: yardie

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Murica