Homebrew RELEASE pFBA: final burn alpha

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@cpasjuste : I'm not at home right now but while thinking of it, mapping "insert coin" and "start" to the same button (SELECT) should do as a workaround for now, right?

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Edit: didn't fully understand what you meant, so yes it should do it.
But now you did?
While using the controller (SNES pad by 8Bitdo) for which I posted the image above, the START button seems to be "dead". Every other button seem to work. I can throw in coins but am not able to start the actual game. :)

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
But now you did?
While using the controller (SNES pad by 8Bitdo) for which I posted the image above, the START button seems to be "dead". Every other button seem to work. I can throw in coins but am not able to start the actual game. :)

In the main menu, you can't set start and coin button to the same button ? If you can't access the main menu, you can edit pfba.cfg manually.

Last edited by cpasjuste,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In the main menu, you can't set start and coin button to the same button ? If you can't access the main menu, you can edit pfba.cfg manually.
I tried mapping both to SELECT. Still SELECT only inserts a coin but doesn't let me start the game. :(
Could you imagine why the START button of 8bitdo controllers are not being recognized? I placed many roms on my SD card today for pFBA and it would be sooo cool to play them with a SNES pad. :)

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tried mapping both to SELECT. Still SELECT only inserts a coin but doesn't let me start the game. :(
Could you imagine why the START button of 8bitdo controllers are not being recognized? I placed many roms on my SD card today for pFBA and it would be sooo cool to play them with a SNES pad. :)
No, "we" need to find/know what is the "start" button I guess. For me a single joycon doesn't have this extra button isn't it ?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
It would be interesting to know if this affects other BT controllers as well - or it is just a 8bitdo thing. 8bitdo "fixed" their button mapping for other systems so often in the past, that it almost seems thats all they ever do... ;)

Does the plus button work in Switch games?

The Switch should have one benefit over all other "non distinct homebrew devices" and that is, that it has a default mapping (one type of compatible controller) that should always work.

Maybe adding more controllers has them activate tiny controller mode in pfba, which could result in an odd interaction? (If so, try connecting the controllers before entering pfba, try to connect two of them - maybe plus works on one but not the other)
If + work in other games, this is pretty strange otherwise.

Last edited by notimp,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, "we" need to find/know what is the "start" button I guess. For me a single joycon doesn't have this extra button isn't it ?
Yep. That's why you used the analog stick "button" in single JoyCon mode (which is a brilliant idea btw). But this SNES controller is famous for the fact that it appears for the Switch as a regular Nintendo Switch Pro Controller (although it doesn't have R2, L2, analog sticks, screenshot and home button, but home button can be simulated by pressing SELECT + d-pad down).
SELECT is MINUS and START is PLUS which works in all other Switch games so it really makes the Switch think as it's a Pro Controller (just that the missing buttons that I mentioned are never being pressed :D). That's why it's really strange that its START button doesn't work in pFBA. pFBA should handle it as a normal Pro Controller which would mean that START is PLUS.
Coming to think of it ... do you even support Nintendo Switch Pro Controllers in your app? Should've tested that.
Does the plus button work in Switch games?
Yep. As I wrote above the START button shows itself as a PLUS button to the Switch.
Maybe adding more controllers has them activate tiny controller mode in pfba, which could result in an odd interaction? (If so, try connecting the controllers before entering pfba, try to connect two of them - maybe plus works on one but not the other)
I'm lucky enough to have two of those SNES controllers (both have the same issue). I tried anything.
  • syncing one at the same time
  • syncing both at the same time
  • syncing a pad even before I launch the hbmenu and pFBA
  • syncing it while being in hbmenu
  • syncing it while being in pFBA
None of that worked. :(
I'm willing to test any build that you push towards me, @cpasjuste :)

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Interesting and strange. Thank you for the report. :) If someone in here has one, or better two Pro controllers and can test this, maybe it might surface something that would be helpful for diagnosing this.. :)

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Interesting and strange. Thank you for the report. :) If someone in here has one, or better two Pro controllers and can test this, maybe it might surface something that would be helpful for diagnosing this.. :)
Ah I've got some new information. Dunno why I haven't tested my real Pro Controller too (yes I have one of those as well) but now I found the problem:
PLUS isn't working there too but pressing the left analog stick actually does. That means a Pro Controller is handled by pFBA as a single JoyCon.
@cpasjuste Is there anything you can do about that? By either implementing a different config for Nintendo Switch Pro Controllers (which would include 8bitdo devices) or making them appear like two attached JoyCons (which should be the best solution as a Pro Controller actually has all buttons that two JoyCons have).
A third way which would be more kind of a workaround would be if you can make a button combination being recognized as START. For example SELECT+R+B or something like that. :)

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah I've got some new information. Dunno why I haven't tested my real Pro Controller too (yes I have one of those as well) but now I found the problem:
PLUS isn't working there too but pressing the left analog stick actually does. That means a Pro Controller is handled by pFBA as a single JoyCon.
@cpasjuste Is there anything you can do about that? By either implementing a different config for Nintendo Switch Pro Controllers (which would include 8bitdo devices) or making them appear like two attached JoyCons (which should be the best solution as a Pro Controller actually has all buttons that two JoyCons have).
A third way which would be more kind of a workaround would be if you can make a button combination being recognized as START. For example SELECT+R+B or something like that. :)

I can confirm the +/start does not work on the pro controller.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's a config file for sfiii3:
Code:
FBA_CONFIG :
{
  VERSION = 154;
  EMULATION :
  {
    SCALING = 3;
    FILTER = 1;
    EFFECT = 0;
    ROTATION = 0;
    SHOW_FPS = 0;
    FRAMESKIP = 0;
    NEOBIOS = 0;
    AUDIO = 1;
  };
  JOYPAD :
  {
    JOY_UP = 13;
    JOY_DOWN = 15;
    JOY_LEFT = 12;
    JOY_RIGHT = 14;
    JOY_FIRE1 = 3;
    JOY_FIRE2 = 2;
    JOY_FIRE3 = 6;
    JOY_FIRE4 = 1;
    JOY_FIRE5 = 0;
    JOY_FIRE6 = 7;
    JOY_COIN1 = 11;
    JOY_START1 = 10;
    JOY_AXIS_LX = 0;
    JOY_AXIS_LY = 1;
    JOY_AXIS_RX = 2;
    JOY_AXIS_RY = 3;
    JOY_DEADZONE = 3;
  };
};

@cpasjuste Can't I do something like this?
Code:
JOY_START1 = 11+3;
We wanted to have a Street Fighter tournament at work tomorrow and it would be brilliant to not have to use single JoyCons for that. :)

Edit: And by the way -> How can I load states?

Last edited by lordelan, , Reason: load states?

jose1209

Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
hi, just a small question, i'm getting nuts trying to run msx games ..
i'l try to put rom on this dirs
rom
rom/msx
pfba/msx

named with a prefix _msx or without.

may somebody nice enough , to say where i have to put the roms to be seen by pfba ?
when i try the menu "show hardware" he see all the arcades roms but swapping in system (and msx) 0 found

thanks in advance
btw, same for genesis...

D

Deleted User

hi, just a small question, i'm getting nuts trying to run msx games ..
i'l try to put rom on this dirs
rom
rom/msx
pfba/msx

named with a prefix _msx or without.

may somebody nice enough , to say where i have to put the roms to be seen by pfba ?
when i try the menu "show hardware" he see all the arcades roms but swapping in system (and msx) 0 found

thanks in advance
btw, same for genesis...

change config ini to this n follow paths

FBA_CONFIG :
{
VERSION = 154;
ROMS_PATHS :
{
ROMS_PATH0 = "/switch/pfba/roms/";
ROMS_PATH1 = "";
ROMS_PATH2 = "";
ROMS_PATH3 = "";
ROMS_PATH4 = "";
ROMS_PATH5 = "";
ROMS_PATH6 = "";
ROMS_PATH7 = "";
ROMS_PATH8 = "";
ROMS_PATH9 = "";
ROMS_PATH10 = "";
ROMS_PATH11 = "/switch/pfba/msx/";
ROMS_PATH12 = "/switch/pfba/sms/";
ROMS_PATH13 = "/switch/pfba/gamegear/";
ROMS_PATH14 = "/switch/pfba/sg1000/";
ROMS_PATH15 = "/switch/pfba/coleco/";
ROMS_PATH16 = "/switch/pfba/tg16/";
ROMS_PATH17 = "/switch/pfba/sgx/";
ROMS_PATH18 = "/switch/pfba/pce/";
ROMS_PATH19 = "/switch/pfba/megadriv/";
};
MAIN :
{
SHOW_ALL = 1;
SHOW_CLONES = 0;
SHOW_HARDWARE = 0;
FULLSCREEN = 1;
};
SKIN :
{
SKIN_FONT_SIZE = 20;
};
EMULATION :
{
SCALING = 3;
FILTER = 1;
EFFECT = 0;
ROTATION = 0;
SHOW_FPS = 0;
FRAMESKIP = 0;
NEOBIOS = 0;
AUDIO = 1;
};
JOYPAD :
{
JOY_UP = 13;
JOY_DOWN = 15;
JOY_LEFT = 12;
JOY_RIGHT = 14;
JOY_FIRE1 = 0;
JOY_FIRE2 = 1;
JOY_FIRE3 = 2;
JOY_FIRE4 = 3;
JOY_FIRE5 = 6;
JOY_FIRE6 = 7;
JOY_COIN1 = 11;
JOY_START1 = 10;
JOY_AXIS_LX = 0;
JOY_AXIS_LY = 1;
JOY_AXIS_RX = 2;
JOY_AXIS_RY = 3;
JOY_DEADZONE = 3;
};
};

jose1209

Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
thanks, but don't work ...
i changed the ini file
put the rom in the correct dirs ...

still nothing appear (msx and genesis) the arcade roms appears

RichKK

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And make sure you have any bios's you need, correctly named.

For msx, you'll need a bios file renamed to 'msx_msx.zip' in the same folder as your msx roms.

Last edited by RichKK,

jose1209

Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
ok thank you
it works, i just peek a romset fro """""fba""""" and 99% are not good i won't spend dozen hours renaming each roms
i'll try to find a correct set if exist (i don't ask for it)

thanks again

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok thank you
it works, i just peek a romset fro """""fba""""" and 99% are not good i won't spend dozen hours renaming each roms
i'll try to find a correct set if exist (i don't ask for it)

thanks again
Just to let you know, pFBA does use the stock/vanilla romset of FBA. So if 99% of your FBA romset are wrong, your romset is wrong :P

jose1209

Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
found my answer
pfba have a database of rom included with "CRC"

Code:
    <description>Athletic Land (Jpn)</description>
        <year>1984</year>
        <manufacturer>Konami</manufacturer>
        <rom name="athletic land (japan).rom" size="16384" crc="7b1acdea"/>
        <rom name="msx.rom" merge="msx.rom" size="32768" crc="a317e6b4"/>

it is just impossible to figure out with the switch nro release.
i'v read the forum and i seen some wonder why some roms megadrive works or not , it is the answer, this is not possible with the dwitch PFBA.

i only found this getting the PC final burn alpha and creating the dat files . i made the most interesting (for me ) missed on msx zip with my roms but they don't work, just for this reason.

i don't know from where the rom games listing was made (speaking about the msx) the arcades one are standart.
so it's just impossible for me to get the files i want and spending hours i don't found a real complete MSX rom set for THIS emulator.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @MysticStarlight, Luckily, he survived.