Homebrew RELEASE pFBA: final burn alpha

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Sonic 3 & Knuckles is working fine for me, by the way. You need to use the FBA rom specifically, not just any old Mega Drive rom.

Obviously not going to tell you where to get it, biut search for 'sks3.zip fba' on Google and you should fine the correct rom set. Rename it to md_s3sk.zip

Is FBA the thing were if one rom isn't right the entire folder won't display? Because having to rename all the ROMs for MD/GG/MS would be a pain

T-Error

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Tried metal slug 1,2,3 but all of them has sound problems...it works but the sound stutters and is a little bit to fast..do i have the wrong roms or is this normal?
Switch fw 4.1
Didn't notice that. For me every Metal Slug worked like a charm. Maybe an older romset thats not 100% compatibel. I only got sound stutters on other newer arcades than the NeoGeo MVS. But I'm on FW 5.0.2 if that matters(I don't know).

Last edited by T-Error,
Reactions: focusonme

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Could be a genuine error report. I (3.0.0) have noticed minor sound stutters in Metal Slug 4 or 5 before. But I would qualify them as "very minor". As far as "a little too fast" is concerned, I've noticed this in other games before, will look at it in mslug3 and report back.

edit: Tested on the first level of mslug3. Seconds counter for some reason is too slow (used a cheats save - but probably no related). No sound stutters, and voice samples sound correct ("heavy machine gun, ...") so if it is sped up, then by only a few percent, that might be hard to detect for "non officionados". That said, I've seen slightly too fast second countdowns in games like SF3 3rd strike before.

edit: Just remembered, that I wasn't on the official build.. :) So there should be improvements, with the next official release. If then its still an issue - we'd have to reevaluate if it is indeed a firmware difference - but then, hekate is "early" and a "hack" and not in any shape or form the ecosystem we think of going forward with - so those attempts probably should happen with the release of atmosphere at the earliest.

I'd say very high fba emulation quality should be expected on the Switch longterm. :)

Last edited by notimp,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The issue is bizarre. The sound in Streets of Rage 2 runs too fast too yet Sonic 3 & Knuckles works fine despite presumably using the same Mega Drive emulation core. Strange.

OpenBOR has the same issue, which is a different application entirely but also ported by cpasjuste.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Maybe uncapped framerate in some games. :) (cap should be set at 60 fps)

For those who want to use cheats with 1.54 in neogeo games, install unibios and 1.52 - start a game in 1.52 activate cheats (- and three of the face buttions (abxy, cant remember which exactly.. ;) ), cheat menu overlay should pop in - enable the cheats you want, save the game (savestate, game can crash at this point) - then load up the same game in 1.54, wait for ingame - and load the savestate. Cheats will still be active.

(As of now the cheats menu cant be brought up in 1.54 (button mapping override caused by + and - and r1 to bring up save menu?) )

Played through mslug 3-6(bootleg) that way. Didn't regret it at any point.. ;) (Rapid fire, infinite ammo,.. ;) )

Last edited by notimp,

danabnormal9000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
no idea.. interested to hear if anyone else has success with audio on 1.0
I tried running via hbmenu v1 as well and no different.
My Switch is on 1.0.0, and it has no sound too. This happened not only for pfba, but for other homebrews too. It crashed frequently especially on some games (SFIII crashed a lot on me). It has sound when I connect it to external speaker via 3.5mm jack. BTW playing SFIII on Switch is awesome!

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
Fantastic work, OP!

Just tried on 5.0.2 and it works well. As some others have mention, sound in MD games are a little erratic, in Sonic 3 there is a little speedup sometimes and then it sounds kind of 'tinny'. That tinny sound was also apparent in SOR2.

For arcade, tried MS3, MS5, TMNT and all work fine. I've found switching between multiplayer by undocking to be temperamental, and only works for me when undocking controllers in pFBA menu. I have not tried docking the unit to play on TV yet.

Mortal Kombat 3 arcade crashed my Switch completely and rebooted, otherwise most things work. Looking forward to how this progresses! Cheers!

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Pure speculation, but its possible that the sound speed problem is being caused by 50Hz games being made to run at 60Hz. pfba seems to prefer EURO versions of most games. This would explain why CPS2/3 games don't have this problem.

T-Error

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Pure speculation, but its possible that the sound speed problem is being caused by 50Hz games being made to run at 60Hz. pfba seems to prefer EURO versions of most games. This would explain why CPS2/3 games don't have this problem.
That's strange because for me the CPS2/3 games stutter like hell not NeoGeo. But the 50/60Hz thing is a good point. I remember that problem in the first versions of NeoGeo emulators for the wii back then.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to recall that fba adjusted timings to account for PAL or NTSC even when it first started supporting consoles.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My Switch is on 1.0.0, and it has no sound too. This happened not only for pfba, but for other homebrews too. It crashed frequently especially on some games (SFIII crashed a lot on me). It has sound when I connect it to external speaker via 3.5mm jack. BTW playing SFIII on Switch is awesome!
Interesting. I’ll try the headphone jack thing! First feedback I’ve got and glad to see it does appear a 1.0.0 thing specifically. Thanks.

Switcyswachty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Super awesome :) i have enjoyed this nonstop for the last 4 hours :) But i see it has support for sega, when i try to add the sega roms that i got from the final burn alpha roms collection pack they are showed as red in the rom list. anyone know why and what i can do? :) ore is it not supported yet? i know i could get the genesis emulator. but i would love to get it to work on fba because its nice to have everything in one place.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Super awesome :) i have enjoyed this nonstop for the last 4 hours :) But i see it has support for sega, when i try to add the sega roms that i got from the final burn alpha roms collection pack they are showed as red in the rom list. anyone know why and what i can do? :) ore is it not supported yet? i know i could get the genesis emulator. but i would love to get it to work on fba because its nice to have everything in one place.
Super awesome, I have enjoyed answering this question three times in this thread already. Anyone know why and what I should do? I think I'll do nothing, and let others tell me in detail.

Because I want everything in one place you know - directly under my posting.

Less sarcastic answer: Read this thread. Once you've found it - you might want to quote or repeat the answer in a "I've solved my question on my own" response, so the solution gets more visibility over the question.

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
And you didn't repeat the solution, so now this thread has become longer and harder to parse for people who do read, before asking questions.

Also the idea of reading thread is closely connected to actually getting to know what other people have found out about the thing you just installed.

For lurkers: Solution can be found here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/pfba-final-burn-alpha.497188/page-6#post-7860596
Rom names have to be specific. With system prefixes. Just look at the list linked in the thread above.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
True, I tell them to read threads, before posting questions.

Then the all service oriented generation born after 1980 says I'm a dick. Bloats threads to the point where people can start using their second favorite excuse "the thread is too big".

Also please recognize, that the user said, that "he solved his issue alone" (after asking his very individual support question), but didn't respond to the plea - to then repeat the correct answer, so the actual answer gets visibility over the unnecessary posts.

The contribution ethos is this forum is "I want, thanks, bye". Which - you know, gives me the warm feeling of doing free personalized support sessions, for people that might not be contributing in any way - and certainly dont read before posting their questions.

They dont have to be dicks either. They can learn.

Last edited by notimp,

Switcyswachty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
i did check it out also read forums on final burn alpha... read some on here. watched some youtube videos. i did try dude xD got everything else to work besides megadrive. the way i got megadrive to work was to rename every rom and put md_ inn it. example: "md_sonic1.zip"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    oh man, that always goes great!
    im sure half the responses won't be literal racial slurs or "drop table" jokes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Look, it's China. They know what it's like when you give a poll to half a billion trolls.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much dollar do you think it is?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    ONE MILLION DOLLA
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I know the pricing of electronics nowadays isn't "how much it actually costs" but "how much we can get away with", but putting up a poll is just cynical.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably $150 someone said Anbernic said around the same price as rg556
    you know which game i wish they would rerelease
    sonic unleashed
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make it a happy meal toy
    that game's engine is really fucking intensive so it runs like literal shit on xbox 360 and ps3
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah I'm getting value creep again. I look at a $50 console "but for just a few more dollars you could get XYZ" and I end up considering the Steam Deck.
    +1
    like the lighting in that game was genuinely so good
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not getting dragged into that again.
    i dont get why they didn't port the one game that ran the worst on consoles, to pc
    like you port everything to pc except the one game where it would make the most sense. why. what do you gain from this
    is sega just personally fucking with me? are they laughing while watching me through my kinect camera as i get up to restart my xbox for the third time because the game froze again
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Buy handhelds from five below better quality
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Valve probably going to do another refresh of the deck this fall with rog ally like specs tbh
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    A smaller form factor would be nice too.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A shield portable 2 would be nice aye Nvidia
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The big leap in all things tech is when carbon based chips start hitting.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Longer battery life cooler temps and faster! What's not to like lol (probably expensive as hell)
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Longer battery life cooler temps and faster! What's not to like lol (probably expensive as hell)