Hacking Homebrew GCN PicoBoot - GameCube IPL replacement modchip using Raspberry Pi Pico

• Thread starter hdx
  • Start date
  • Views 41,577
  • Replies 191
  • Likes 39

alimao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hello i know the original rp2040 works very well, i found this github about the rp2040 zero programmed does not turn on led does anyone know how to compile this version to enable the led to work? in version rp2040 zero

the rp2040 zero works very well even with the led off
more lighting the led we would only be sure of its operation when you turn on the gamecube

https://github.com/fengye/PicoBoot

Attachments

• RP2040-Zero-details-size.jpg
    RP2040-Zero-details-size.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 46

hdx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why would you need the LED to be on? It only tells you Pico gets power. You don't need it for PicoBoot to work. I recommend getting the official Pico board instead and not rely on someone to provide with a firmware because I can guarantee you won't receive any update from that maintainer when there is bigger PicoBoot firmware update available.

alimao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Why would you need the LED to be on? It only tells you Pico gets power. You don't need it for PicoBoot to work. I recommend getting the official Pico board instead and not rely on someone to provide with a firmware because I can guarantee you won't receive any update from that maintainer when there is bigger PicoBoot firmware update available.
I wanted to test the LED, but it is not possible to compile patience, we use it without LED

neko555

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Could I use a RJ45 cable? I read onthe github tutorial I need a 26-28 AWG cable. I have searched on google de AWG of a RJ45, but I'm not sure.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bought mine on ebay pre modded contacted seller just now power works fan runs but no video output (no signal) though my hdtv detects" it (composite icon is lit up on input switcher meaning its connected just no AV
Post automatically merged:

this is his responce

I'm really sorry about the console not working. But I think 1 of the wires for the Picoboot mod some how got disconnected/cut. I just had another DOL-101 GameCube return for being a defective item. You see unlike the DOL-001 model of the GameCube, where all 5 wires are soldered to the top of the motherboard. With the DOL-101 model, 2 of the wires have to soldered to the bottom of the motherboard. It's not very easy to get those 2 wires from the bottom to the top for connecting to the Picoboot with the shortest length of wires as possible. I had test the GameCube after I re-assemble the GameCube and it did work at the time. But I guess while in shipping, one of the wires was disconnected. I think it best for me to issue you a free return shipping label and and offer you a full refund once I get it back like I did for the other order. I'm have stop listing the DOL-101 GameCube with the Picoboot mod until I find a better solution for the 2 bottom wires.​

Last edited by chrisrlink,

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's a good outcome but if his soldering is subpar the wires will disconnect.

I used kynar in my install and the wires aren't the shortest, shame for you but I'm sure you'll sort something out eventually.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bought mine on ebay pre modded contacted seller just now power works fan runs but no video output (no signal) though my hdtv detects" it (composite icon is lit up on input switcher meaning its connected just no AV
Post automatically merged:

this is his responce

I'm really sorry about the console not working. But I think 1 of the wires for the Picoboot mod some how got disconnected/cut. I just had another DOL-101 GameCube return for being a defective item. You see unlike the DOL-001 model of the GameCube, where all 5 wires are soldered to the top of the motherboard. With the DOL-101 model, 2 of the wires have to soldered to the bottom of the motherboard. It's not very easy to get those 2 wires from the bottom to the top for connecting to the Picoboot with the shortest length of wires as possible. I had test the GameCube after I re-assemble the GameCube and it did work at the time. But I guess while in shipping, one of the wires was disconnected. I think it best for me to issue you a free return shipping label and and offer you a full refund once I get it back like I did for the other order. I'm have stop listing the DOL-101 GameCube with the Picoboot mod until I find a better solution for the 2 bottom wires.​

The reason why I modded my GC w/ the Picoboot method myself...

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The reason why I modded my GC w/ the Picoboot method myself...
eBay is always such a piece of shit when it comes to modded consoles, hence why I've learned to solder and mod my own consoles.

Reactions: urbanman2004

fenixreign

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the Pico and Pico W both using 5pin Micro USB (I loathe Micro USB), and the annoyance factor of having to open up the entire system to access that port, I want to run an idea past the more knowledgeable people like @hdx.

I was reading through the Pico’s documentation on the official site and I BELIEVE it said that you can remotely reboot the Pico into BootSec via the USB port, and you can also send a command to toggle the 3.3V pin. If this is true, would that safely allow flashing without the need for a diode or disconnecting the 3.3V pin before updating?

If it would make it safe, I am hoping that I can do the following: DIY a USB extension that runs from the Pico’s Micro B port out the SP2 bay’s notch (so no need to risk damaging the shell of the console) ending in a USB C port. Now, I am looking for that extension to meet the following specification:

1. USB Micro B (male) to USB C (female) preserving the symmetrical usage for the USB C port.
  2. Provide both power and data to the Pico via the USB 2.0 spec.
  3. Support OTG concurrently with power so that I can do the flash from my phone instead of my desktop pc.
Please let me know your thoughts, advice, perspective, and insight.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
With the Pico and Pico W both using 5pin Micro USB (I loathe Micro USB), and the annoyance factor of having to open up the entire system to access that port, I want to run an idea past the more knowledgeable people like @hdx.

I was reading through the Pico’s documentation on the official site and I BELIEVE it said that you can remotely reboot the Pico into BootSec via the USB port, and you can also send a command to toggle the 3.3V pin. If this is true, would that safely allow flashing without the need for a diode or disconnecting the 3.3V pin before updating?

If it would make it safe, I am hoping that I can do the following: DIY a USB extension that runs from the Pico’s Micro B port out the SP2 bay’s notch (so no need to risk damaging the shell of the console) ending in a USB C port. Now, I am looking for that extension to meet the following specification:

1. USB Micro B (male) to USB C (female) preserving the symmetrical usage for the USB C port.
  2. Provide both power and data to the Pico via the USB 2.0 spec.
  3. Support OTG concurrently with power so that I can do the flash from my phone instead of my desktop pc.
Please let me know your thoughts, advice, perspective, and insight.
Save yourself all that work and just get a Pico with USB C on it:

USB C Pico.jpg

fenixreign

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Save yourself all that work and just get a Pico with USB C on it:

View attachment 379639
Normally, I would but I am also using this as an opportunity to learn, possibly make something I have never attempted before, and if it works, it would be usable on the Pico W, which doesn’t have a equivalent to the one that you showed. The other concern is that Picoboot’s creator has already said there will never be official support for clones. Now the one you linked might currently be identical to the Pico in every way except the USB port, but that could change without warning and then someone still has to switch, pray the changes don’t affect their ability to use Picoboot, or work their ass off.

Besides, I like the idea of staying true to @hdx ’s main branch since it should be the base for anyone else’s branches.

EDIT: Also, the Picoboot’s GitHub has already confirmed that the Pico W will be officially supported.

Last edited by fenixreign,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Laid at the party is fun unless you're in prison lol