Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

B89BER

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't know if anyone has posted this, but it might come in handy.
The 3.3V pin on the Switch Lite is very small. You can make it easier by soldering yourself to the place next to it.
2023-04-12 13_18_28-Switch lite board layers.jpg

angelC992

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
A capacitor is usualy placed between VCC and Ground to smoothen or to reduce noise/ripple.
So one side is positive voltage, the other side is ground. If you've damaged the trace or accidentally removed the cap then it's probably ok to leave it as is without the capacitor, it could cause instability though. But you don't want to bridge the 2 pads. Bridging these will cause a short cirquit and will cause damage to the system.
I tried to bridge those pads without capacitor, but that was after the Switch Lite doesn't boot.

Is It dead or can a professional repair it? I was talking with a guy who repair Switch consoles. He told me my Nintendo should power on without this capacitor so he needs to check everything in motherboard carefully.

rehius

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

RiotRetroGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just done a Friend's OLED.
I think I'm doubling my install price for these 🤣😅 holy moly Batman! That DAT0 is a PITA.
And to get it reliable so I don't get any comebacks... took 3 attempts (had to buy a SMD air heater).

Finally cracked it by this method...

Added flux around whole eMMC, Started of 90c 1 min, then 150c 1 min, 200c 1 min, added more flux, then finally 260c 1 min and lots of flux.

Checked the solder point and got around 0.600 odd on the diode tester.

Boots everytime now. Tried 2.5 first, then when I was happy, updated to 2.6 and removed usb & both buttons.

Pretty chuffed, used to do SMD, but soldering under microscope, never used air. 😊
Post automatically merged:

Is there a cad file I can send off to produce some picofly flex's yet?

Thanks,
Ant

lenoa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
got my flex from ali after 2 weeks waiting,
nuke flash rpi to 2.64 directly
v2 toshiba , first boot 3 minutes now like 5 sec.
check all works good , backup etc etc. remove port and button and shorten the cable.

thx you, brb play games :yayps3:

V.2 is here of the PicoFly install guide

https://easyupload.io/5zhege
there is no rp2040 zero pin diagram might add some

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 101

DonZott

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I tried to bridge those pads without capacitor, but that was after the Switch Lite doesn't boot.

Is It dead or can a professional repair it? I was talking with a guy who repair Switch consoles. He told me my Nintendo should power on without this capacitor so he needs to check everything in motherboard carefully.
Hard to say if it's dead or not. I don't know where that 3.3v line come's from or where it goes to.
My field is laptop motherboard repair, I don't have experience with switch motherboards.
Maybe it's only the black component to the left of the missing cap that's damaged, maybe your 3.3v voltage regulator is damaged. Somebody that has experience with switch motherboards might be able to help you.

You say the wire disconnected when you assembled the switch. When you resoldered the wire, did you have the battery still plugged in?

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Just done a Friend's OLED.
I think I'm doubling my install price for these 🤣😅 holy moly Batman! That DAT0 is a PITA.
And to get it reliable so I don't get any comebacks... took 3 attempts (had to buy a SMD air heater).

Finally cracked it by this method...

Added flux around whole eMMC, Started of 90c 1 min, then 150c 1 min, 200c 1 min, added more flux, then finally 260c 1 min and lots of flux.

Checked the solder point and got around 0.600 odd on the diode tester.

Boots everytime now. Tried 2.5 first, then when I was happy, updated to 2.6 and removed usb & both buttons.

Pretty chuffed, used to do SMD, but soldering under microscope, never used air. 😊

Is there a cad file I can send off to produce some picofly flex's yet?

Thanks,
Ant
I watch on sthetix youtube he doesn't reheat the eMMC only lock it by soldering side by side.
Have you tried that method?
I wonder the reliability of that method.

Reactions: RiotRetroGaming

angelC992

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hard to say if it's dead or not. I don't know where that 3.3v line come's from or where it goes to.
My field is laptop motherboard repair, I don't have experience with switch motherboards.
Maybe it's only the black component to the left of the missing cap that's damaged, maybe your 3.3v voltage regulator is damaged. Somebody that has experience with switch motherboards might be able to help you.

You say the wire disconnected when you assembled the switch. When you resoldered the wire, did you have the battery still plugged in?

I'm not sure, but It can be posible that battery was plugged on.

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Valuable note, but if I glue the RP2040 over the RAM, it is more convenient to pull the cable from above. At least for me.
In my opinion, better be from the side, because you need not to put the cable near the heat stick, and secondly do not need to take of the gamecard flex cable, which without a good handle, might broke the connector.

Unfortunately i know it recently. I've already used 3.3v from the top according to the sthetix diagram. If i could redo the time, i will put it on the side.

I'm not sure, but It can be posible that battery was plugged on.

If the Short Circuit problem still not fixed, at least take the battery connector out, to minimize the damage. The + and gnd must not short circuit.

Last edited by abal1000x,

B89BER

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In my opinion, better be from the side, because you need not to put the cable near the heat stick, and secondly do not need to take of the gamecard flex cable, which without a good handle, might broke the connector.

Unfortunately i know it recently. I've already used 3.3v from the top according to the sthetix diagram. If i could redo the time, i will put it on the side.
Unfortunately, I also soldered from the top to the capacitor, which kept breaking my connection. I didn't know about the sideways method. In my opinion, both solutions are better than soldering to the capacitor.

cliffkhew

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
The 3.3V cap soldering point is a dangerous point,this tiny cap is super fragile and easily broken and missing by soldering heat built up by seconds.The 3.3V wiring diagram mess up the micro soldering work.Just use the alternate point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWb8Lb89dzg