Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

everyonesweird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
Just asking, from what point you got the 3.3v?
Post automatically merged:

What version of firmware are you used?
Editted:
That is ** RST not connected.
i got the 3.3v from just above the sd card slot.
im using the Latest version of the firmware.
I re sodderd and recevked rst point and its connected.
Having the same issue

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
i got the 3.3v from just above the sd card slot.
im using the Latest version of the firmware.
I re sodderd and recevked rst point and its connected.
Having the same issue
I am sorry. Thats rst point i reply @jeka1981 but, somehow its wrongly replied.
Don't take the 3.3v from the sdcard, theres issue. Just use what the guide given.

jeka1981

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Moldova

Attachments

• Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg
    Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 32

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Thats 4.2V right?

I think i know why its throws RST error code.
Because the VCC goes to rp2040 4.2V then the first check:
a.png

Which is checking the RST lines voltage,
b.png

The read from the adc is not in the scale of 3.3v anymore. So the formula in there is becomes wrong.
If the voltage 1.8V using 3.3V Vcc the adc will be read as 93.
When the voltage 4.2V then maybe the adc read as 72 (which is 1.8V in 4.2v).
But because we calculate as 3.3 its become 72 * 3.3 / 170 = 1.39V, which is under the lower tolerance 1.6V. So its decided to throws the error RST disconnected.

Maybe we could revise the code. If the voltage between 0-0.8V considered disconnected. If the voltage between 0.8V-1.6V considered problematic - line, and 1.6V-2.0V good, and >2.0V problematic + line

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
Thats 4.2V right?

I think i know why its throws RST error code.
Because the VCC goes to rp2040 4.2V then the first check:
View attachment 378072

Which is checking the RST lines voltage,
View attachment 378073

The read from the adc is not in the scale of 3.3v anymore. So the formula in there is becomes wrong.
If the voltage 1.8V using 3.3V Vcc the adc will be read as 93.
When the voltage 4.2V then maybe the adc read as 72 (which is 1.8V in 4.2v).
But because we calculate as 3.3 its become 72 * 3.3 / 170 = 1.39V, which is under the lower tolerance 1.6V. So its decided to throws the error RST disconnected.

Maybe we could revise the code. If the voltage between 0-0.8V considered disconnected. If the voltage between 0.8V-1.6V considered problematic - line, and 1.6V-2.0V good, and >2.0V problematic + line
thats SPKVDDL from datasheet, voltage range from 3.0~5.0v not sure it from battery directly or not

Reactions: abal1000x

Guigazeus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I thought the problem was the micro sd slot. But it looks like it has a short when I tighten those screws near the ZR button. There is some short, it happens in this region. As you can see in the photo, this line has very low resistance, next to the ft9cj touch chip. Whenever I tighten the screw the micro sd does not work. And Hakete doesn't get up.

Attachments

• 377371-76407aa6becd8a597a7094eb2ad8ced5.mp4
    12.7 MB
  • Capturar.PNG
    Capturar.PNG
    677.8 KB · Views: 22

hjohn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Was the broken resistor no reading at all after you took it off board?
I wrote it wrong, clk was bad. I did not cut off enough material from cpu shield and it was hard to reach, line broke near via.

I currently have the same issue as you. CMD resistors seem broken and switch black screen. Waiting for replacements to arrive. Did you redo the install after the repair? In what way was the CMD line destroyed? Broken trace? Bad resistor?
I was wrong my issue was clk line. It was hard to reach and line broken near via. The wire only connected to the line not the via. Yes I did the install again now it's work well. I had to replace the cpu flex shortly after install, mosfet died for some reason. But ok since.

Reactions: Uberfish and QuiTim

POPOLO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have a problem on a second Switch Oled :
- i connect battery and switch showes me blue then yellow lights == == == three times and when i power on it goes to OFW and rp2040 is not blinking.
What is wrong ???
Automatic operation with battery connected, please inquire about RST

Attachments

• rst.jpg
    rst.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • CLK.jpg
    CLK.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • CMD.jpg
    CMD.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • cpu.jpg
    cpu.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • vcc.jpg
    vcc.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • gnd.jpg
    gnd.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31

RiotRetroGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did you try to turn on the switch after wires soldered to all point, basically before wires connected to pico?
This to analyze whether the culprit is on soldering, adapter or it needs to be combined with pico connected that result in this bsod.
When last time you turn off the switch and the first you turn it on again?

Example for me (also its good practice to follow) :
1. Turn off, diassemble all until soc and cleaned all thermal paste on it.
2. Turn on .. ok .. checked. Turn Off.
3.0 For oled you can install Dat0 adapter .. TurnOn .. checked .. Turn Off.
3.1 Install CPU mosfet .. Turn on .. checked .. Turn Off.
4. Install all wires to mobo (3.3v, Grnd, rst, cmd, clk, dat0) ... Turn On .. checked .. turn off.
5. Install wires to Pico ... Turn On .. wait 20 second .. No Sd greets ..Horayyyy... :rofl2: .. Turn Off.
6. Assemble Heatsink, .. until Metal Shield .. Push/wiggle gently around pico ... Turn On .. NoSdScreen .. Turn Off..
7. Finally .. close the backdoor .. clean the body ..knock on the back door a few times ... Turn On .. still Nosdscreen.. turn off.
8. Done.

And because i already used to it, then now I oftenly if any got problems only on point 6..

This is practically what I do... then if something does go a bit wonky, you know exactly what it was 👍

Alright, which one of you chucklef*@#s is selling pre-flashed picoflys on Etsy with the wrong size resistors? (SwitchModService in Plymouth UK according to the etsy listing)View attachment 378090

Jesus, that's awful. No tape under those floppy resistors anyway! 🤣

Last edited by RiotRetroGaming,

MertX2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello lads, im having a problem again with a picofly install, when pressing the power button the switch gives absolutely no sign of life, not even the rp2040s led is glowing. What could be the cause?

Mr Skinner

Trophies
Website
www.nerdfy.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, this is good news, in a way :)
I would try a couple of things here to fix that trace.
1. Easy - Cover the surrounding points with kapton/solder mask and put a blob of solder there in hope that it will create a short between the 2 points (use good flux and sn/pb solder)
2. Medium - use this specific dat0 adapter (as in Oled) as it has no anchor points and then create a bridge from dat0 to one of the points where it need to be (check picture "a5" the blue X on top right)
3. Hard - use a 0.02 jump wire to try to fix the broken trace between two points.
Picture legend:
a1=dat0 in place in oled to give you an idea of size;
a2=dat0 that im talking about;
a3=how it should be placed;
a4=whats going on beneath;
a5=Lite board traces
This is pretty much what @abal1000x is saying but with pictures :D

When you asked why that could happened.

I assume your soldering is okay, no short circuit, then one possible scenario is...
You inserted a conducting debris to the emmc when inserting the adapter. The right resistor is connected to the Data Strobe pin of the emmc, which near the vss
View attachment 377828
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH MY BROTHERS THE SWITCH LITE IS LIVE!:hrth::hrth:
- Not without going through a lot of trouble, with a purple screen, error, =*** eMMC init failure
I combined the instructions of the two of you and voila! Switch lite is alive!

Be proud of yourselves @QuiTim and @abal1000x , I adapted the solution a little, but the method is all yours. I used one of those crap dat0 cables and did extensive testing using the emmc diagram, and the https://balika011.hu/switch/lite diagrams, to make sure my dat0 and dat1 weren't shorted, (in the end they were, hence the purple screen, since the cmd track resistor was ok) I made a jumper using the rest of the broken track, to what was left of the old track and that's it, I got the SD screen.

It is worth mentioning that since I did not have the correct dat0 adapter, from Munia.io, I used one of those horrible ones, properly cuted, TEMPORARYLY, to obtain the measurement of dat0, and check if the solder of my point was having access to dat0, I knew that dat0 and dat1 could be shorted (purple screen), SO I REMOVED it once I fixed the broken dot, and here we are, working!

* I had to add an extra resistor to dat0 pico, as I had intermittent =*** eMMC init failure issues, which I haven't experienced again so far. In any case, I managed to make a full backup of the Nand, with all the prodkeys. benchmark emmc, seems normal.

I get back with pictures and more details to leave as a reference for sufferers like me in the future.

My personal message is: Don't give up, have faith in God and be humble in heart, he will bring blessed people to your aid. "I called upon the Lord in distress: the Lord answered me, and set me in a large place". psalms 118:5

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 07.mp4
    3.2 MB

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat