Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Are you able to go into Hekate though?
No, just black screen, only payload that works so far is ums-loader
Post automatically merged:

i've no other idea.

if using ums-loader work, then the cpu highly probable okay. if the backup raw emmc works via hekate, than the emmc an okay. Left with dram as the minimum systom to boot, which might be problematic.
No, I never got to hekate, not once, just get a back screen. Glitching okay, about 1-2 seconds of blue light short yellow, no sd card screen. After that I can only launch ums-loader. Hekate gives black screen and OFW blue screen. I can mount GPP, boot1 and 2 from ums-loader, but windows doesn't recognize them, but I tried the same with my unpatched switch and same result. So I have to assume it's neither the APU or the eMMC. That leaves the DRAM modules, but the switch never fell, I never even worked near that area, all traces seem clean by eye and by photo, I don't understand how I could've ruined the DRAM modules.

Last edited by roxzii,

bilalhassan341

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, just black screen, only payload that works so far is ums-loader

No, I never got to hekate, not once, just get a back screen. Glitching okay, about 1-2 seconds of blue light short yellow, no sd card screen. After that I can only launch ums-loader. Hekate gives black screen and OFW blue screen. I can mount GPP, boot1 and 2 from ums-loader, but windows doesn't recognize them, but I tried the same with my unpatched switch and same result. So I have to assume it's neither the APU or the eMMC. That leaves the DRAM modules, but the switch never fell, I never even worked near that area, all traces seem clean by eye and by photo, I don't understand how I could've ruined the DRAM modules.
Like, solder debris or particles leaved by soldering iron can get stuck under apu or dram. Which can cause short on these components.

Reactions: roxzii

frozenboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
where exactly is the cap from? most caps near type-c port on rp2040-zero are 2.2uF which I think is too much for this mod.
1688800189065.png

this one, these cap is so tiny

Takezo-San

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
So i tried the aon6554 mosfet on an oled today. Reball was a breeze with the reball jig. But the mosfet didn't work. Had a 1k pull down on it and thought maybe it was the issue. Removed that and nothing. Same issue. Cyan light, cpu line error. cleaned up solder points, checked cap values, all good. Put everything back and still same. Either its probably a dud mosfet or the mosfet is not that great for this mod. Ended up using a spare filthy nasty cpu flex cable....yuck. did it so quick and and the pico glitched so its not my soldering and thank god I have a good run with reballs and oled so far. Looking for a solid mosfet that doesn't need a dual build.
So anyone ever tried that mosfet before?

edit - oh wait, does it matter if its installed face up or face down? Was I being a doofus this whole time? Herers a pic if anyone can spot a mistake i may or may not have made.

20230708_045729.jpg

(Solder mask blob down the middle was to secure it down and stop it moving around.)

Last edited by Takezo-San,

cicci084

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi guy, where is the scheme for back board mosfet installation?

I think I've found them, before it goes, okay? it is a switch just bought.
I await yours, thank you.

Attachments

• back-installation-mosfet.jpeg
    back-installation-mosfet.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by cicci084,

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

So i tried the aon6554 mosfet on an oled today. Reball was a breeze with the reball jig. But the mosfet didn't work. Had a 1k pull down on it and thought maybe it was the issue. Removed that and nothing. Same issue. Cyan light, cpu line error. cleaned up solder points, checked cap values, all good. Put everything back and still same. Either its probably a dud mosfet or the mosfet is not that great for this mod. Ended up using a spare filthy nasty cpu flex cable....yuck. did it so quick and and the pico glitched so its not my soldering and thank god I have a good run with reballs and oled so far. Looking for a solid mosfet that doesn't need a dual build.
So anyone ever tried that mosfet before?

edit - oh wait, does it matter if its installed face up or face down? Was I being a doofus this whole time? Herers a pic if anyone can spot a mistake i may or may not have made.

View attachment 382289

(Solder mask blob down the middle was to secure it down and stop it moving around.)
The AON6554 has only one G terminal the other 3 below it are S so as long as you did not bridge the 3 and 4 together you should be OK as far as wiring goes (see picture).
I am assuming that this is the orientation, so 1st pin bottom right (please check since I cannot see the mark on the mosftet from the picture)
Anyway, I think there is something else at play here.
The mosfets that work (tested by me) example IRF8342 has a total gate charge Qg of 4.2; AON7506 Qg 4.3; AON7518 Qg 6.9; IRF8714 Qg 8.1 while the one you are using AON6554 has the Qg of 21.3
@abal1000x what are your thoughts about this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230708_121057_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230708_121057_Samsung Internet.jpg
    658.5 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: Takezo-San

cicci084

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi guy, where is the scheme for back board mosfet installation?

I think I've found them, before it goes, okay? it is a switch just bought.
I await yours, thank you.
Sorry, not sure if I translated well. (by google)

I ask if I can proceed with the installation.

On the right side where there is more tin, I scratched the PCB to bring out the copper and have a better solder.
I await confirmation before proceeding, thanks.

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
My concern with the bare mosfet install is that we may be over-loading the output pin from the RP2040 which could cause internal damage to the IC.
General practice is to have a resistor in the gate drive line to limit the current drawn from GPIO.

This article may be informative:

"The initial current is very high. It slows down as the capacitor charges. That initial current rush, also known as in-rush current, can be a problem. Even though it is a short time, there is a significant current surge that can damage an I/O pin."

https://www.baldengineer.com/7-mosfet-myths-and-misconceptions-addressed.html
Although Rehius explained why this should not be an issue in this case, the article you posted was a very good read and the best explanation on some aspects of mosfets that I have read. Didn't know about this website, it has some very nice articles, thank you

Sorry, not sure if I translated well. (by google)

I ask if I can proceed with the installation.

On the right side where there is more tin, I scratched the PCB to bring out the copper and have a better solder.
I await confirmation before proceeding, thanks.
The soldering looks very good, I think you are good to go.

Last edited by QuiTim,
Reactions: cicci084

twins333

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
That was a very good read and the best explanation on some aspects of mosfets that I have read. Didn't know about this website, it has some very nice articles, thank you

Agreed, that's a very nice read.
This still should not be an issue in this case. As per Rehius's words, the current is limited by the firmware.
The current is limited by the firmware to 2ma, enabled only when talking to the eMMC

Whilst I'm reading this thread FreeLander has killed more than 10 consoles. I know skilled guys who have done 100+ consoles without a single issue.
I know you never said anything about it being a problem, but I belive people reading your quote should get the full picture to avoid panic :)

Reactions: QuiTim

cgtchy0412

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia

The AON6554 has only one G terminal the other 3 below it are S so as long as you did not bridge the 3 and 4 together you should be OK as far as wiring goes (see picture).
I am assuming that this is the orientation, so 1st pin bottom right (please check since I cannot see the mark on the mosftet from the picture)
Anyway, I think there is something else at play here.
The mosfets that work (tested by me) example IRF8342 has a total gate charge Qg of 4.2; AON7506 Qg 4.3; AON7518 Qg 6.9; IRF8714 Qg 8.1 while the one you are using AON6554 has the Qg of 21.3
@abal1000x what are your thoughts about this?
Puzzled... I have a bunch of these aon . these are my main arsenal now, probably installed 10 units, single mosfet everytime. Although i never done an oled yet.

Attachments

• 20230708_180541.jpg
    20230708_180541.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 31

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Puzzled... I have a bunch of these aon .. probably installed 10 units, single mosfet everytime. Although i never done an oled yet.
Well, that pretty much rules out the Qg theory then since if you got just one working then the problem it's likely a result of other variables.
Let's wait for @Takezo-San comment for the soldering part, or maybe it was just a bad mosfet.

Agreed, that's a very nice read.
This still should not be an issue in this case. As per Rehius's words, the current is limited by the firmware.

I know you never said anything about it being a problem, but I belive people reading your quote should get the full picture to avoid panic :)
You are right, I will amend my original post

postnutclarity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you guys please take a look at the video and help me decode what the errors are saying? It looks like a D0 problem, but I’m not entirely sure.

This feels a bit different from a 2.74 firmware instability issue.

It started with being able to glitch after disconnecting the batter for 6 hours. Then I received this 2618 error on atmosphere and I can no longer glitch the switch even after disconnecting the battery for 6 hours. So confused @.@

Attachments

• 9580F6F7-0FF6-4934-89D9-4F042B9126BB.jpeg
    9580F6F7-0FF6-4934-89D9-4F042B9126BB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7080.MOV
    36.4 MB

cgtchy0412

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Well, that pretty much rules out the Qg theory then since if you got just one working then the problem it's likely a result of other variables.
Let's wait for @Takezo-San comment for the soldering part, or maybe it was just a bad mosfet.
If i may add, with aon i never done double mosfet or even double caps, it always works with single mosfet soldered to single caps. Maybe already done about 30 ish switch.

Can you guys please take a look at the video and help me decode what the errors are saying? It looks like a D0 problem, but I’m not entirely sure.

It started with being able to glitch after disconnecting the batter for 6 hours. Then I received this 2618 error on atmosphere and I can no longer glitch the switch even after disconnecting the battery for 6 hours. So confused @.@
Try directly solder dat0 to gpio pin.

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

The error clearly is dat0 not connected =*
Can you check on dat0? Try to redo that one more time. The Atmo error also looks to be related to that.

postnutclarity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i may add, with aon i never done double mosfet or even double caps, it always works with single mosfet soldered to single caps. Maybe already done about 30 ish switch.

Try directly solder dat0 to gpio pin.
Gpio pin? Which one is that?

The error clearly is dat0 not connected =*
Can you check on dat0? Try to redo that one more time. The Atmo error also looks to be related to that.

Okay, so it might be this problem then 😬
The previous technician installed the d0 adapter like this (in the picture). When I took it to the new technician, he reconnected everything, but I’m not sure he’s aware the d0 adapter was installed somewhat awkwardly.

Attachments

• 4172C08F-A5B1-44E7-971F-06B27C605CC3.jpeg
    4172C08F-A5B1-44E7-971F-06B27C605CC3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Gpio pin? Which one is that?

Okay, so it might be this problem then 😬
The previous technician installed the d0 adapter like this (in the picture). When I took it to the new technician, he reconnected everything, but I’m not sure he’s aware the d0 adapter was installed somewhat awkwardly.
Ok, so that is one of the worst dat0 adapters currently available and most likely the source of at least 70% of all Oled problems in this thread.
First, you need to move the wire away from that very sharp edge of the emmc shield since it might scratch the enamel coating of the wire and create a short (see point 1 in picture)
Second, the dat0 adapter seems too far to the right and at this point it might have lost the contact with dat0 point on emmc. That adapter is supposed to a little bit offset to the right but not that much.
You should try to push it a little bit on the directions of arrows (see nr2 in picture) but only by around 0.5mm or so and see if it works.
In any case, you need to change that adapter if you hope to resolve this issue permanently.

Attachments

• 4172C08F-A5B1-44E7-971F-06B27C605CC3.jpeg.jpg
    4172C08F-A5B1-44E7-971F-06B27C605CC3.jpeg.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 38

postnutclarity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so that is one of the worst dat0 adapters currently available and most likely the source of at least 70% of all Oled problems in this thread.
First, you need to move the wire away from that very sharp edge of the emmc shield since it might scratch the enamel coating of the wire and create a short (see point 1 in picture)
Second, the dat0 adapter seems too far to the right and at this point it might have lost the contact with dat0 point on emmc. That adapter is supposed to a little bit offset to the right but not that much.
You should try to push it a little bit on the directions of arrows (see nr2 in picture) but only by around 0.5mm or so and see if it works.
In any case, you need to change that adapter if you hope to resolve this issue permanently.
Very much appreciate this. I had a creeping feeling this might be the problem, but was trying to cope that it wasn’t 🥲. Is it the black d0 adapter that’s recommended?

cicci084

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Although Rehius explained why this should not be an issue in this case, the article you posted was a very good read and the best explanation on some aspects of mosfets that I have read. Didn't know about this website, it has some very nice articles, thank you

The soldering looks very good, I think you are good to got

The soldering it's ok.
The scheme is correct?
There are no schematics in the guide for the MOSFET on the back of the logic board. I found images a few pages behind but not being in the guides or even in the main pages, I ask for confirmation.
Also I understand they are experimental installations, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...