Playing Switch games with PC players online

metrekkie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to find a way to allow my friends with PCs to play Switch games with me by using my PC as a bridge between them and my Switch with CFW. I'm most of the way there. Here's what I got so far:

1. I use Sys DVR to capture the Switch's audio/video output and stream it to my PC.
2. I stream this to my friends using Discord or other screen sharing software.
3. My friends send their inputs to my PC through a program like Parsec.
4. THE MISSING PIECE: My PC sends the inputs from their controllers to the Switch.

I know there's a way to do this; sys-botbase allows you to control a Switch via a USB or wireless connection and NXController allows you to connect a keyboard to your Switch, but it only allows you to emulate one controller and only recognizes keyboard inputs. If this would support additional inputs that would solve my problem, alternatively if there's software out there that would allow me to transmit generic controller outputs via a USB or Bluetooth connection I could use sys-con or Mission Control to allow the Switch to receive them.

BobsYurUncle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's two methods I've used successfully to achieve this. One is done entirely through homebrew software over your network:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/play-online-with-your-friends-using-just-one-switch-via-parsec.576705/

The other method is a hardware solution called GIMX, you can build your own dongle for pretty cheap (beginner level soldering required) or buy one if you can find it in stock:

https://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

GIMX adapters work with other consoles too, although you will need additional adapters/controllers for some. It will also have a little bit lower latency which will help if your friends are far away.

Reactions: metrekkie

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's two methods I've used successfully to achieve this. One is done entirely through homebrew software over your network:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/play-online-with-your-friends-using-just-one-switch-via-parsec.576705/

The other method is a hardware solution called GIMX, you can build your own dongle for pretty cheap (beginner level soldering required) or buy one if you can find it in stock:

https://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

GIMX adapters work with other consoles too, although you will need additional adapters/controllers for some. It will also have a little bit lower latency which will help if your friends are far away.
That’s actually a super cool project! I might have to try and build it for myself

BobsYurUncle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That’s actually a super cool project! I might have to try and build it for myself

Yeah I just stumbled into it this last month or so. The biggest problems are you need to flash a new console-specific firmware whenever you change what it's plugged into, also some consoles like PS4 and Xbox require an official controller to "authenticate" the USB transfer.

They are only about $20 to build though so you could make as many as you need; I've already ordered a few more myself.

And they do work with older consoles like PS2/Dreamcast etc if you plug into a Mayflash or Brook controller adapter.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I just stumbled into it this last month or so. The biggest problems are you need to flash a new console-specific firmware whenever you change what it's plugged into, also some consoles like PS4 and Xbox require an official controller to "authenticate" the USB transfer.

They are only about $20 to build though so you could make as many as you need; I've already ordered a few more myself.

And they do work with older consoles like PS2/Dreamcast etc if you plug into a Mayflash or Brook controller adapter.
Their wiki and forums does not seem that great though I will say that aha

Do you happen to have a link to the switch documentation ?

BobsYurUncle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Their wiki and forums does not seem that great though I will say that aha

Do you happen to have a link to the switch documentation ?
yeah you are not wrong, the device actually doesn't currently support Switch officially so this may not be the best solution for that console.

It spoofs whatever controller type you tell it to, so for Switch I can send a PS4 USB signal and use a Mayflash adapter on the Switch to do the interpreting for me.

If the homebrew Mission Control gets updated to support over USB, that would likely just work too.

I would only recommend going this route if you are prepared for tinkering and have a few Mayflash or Brook controller adapters lying around as they make things a lot easier.

Only officially supported consoles are xbox, xbox 360, xbox one, ps3,ps4. Anything else you'll need those adapters in addition.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah you are not wrong, the device actually doesn't currently support Switch officially so this may not be the best solution for that console.

It spoofs whatever controller type you tell it to, so for Switch I can send a PS4 USB signal and use a Mayflash adapter on the Switch to do the interpreting for me.

If the homebrew Mission Control gets updated to support over USB, that would likely just work too.

I would only recommend going this route if you are prepared for tinkering and have a few Mayflash or Brook controller adapters lying around as they make things a lot easier.

Only officially supported consoles are xbox, xbox 360, xbox one, ps3,ps4. Anything else you'll need those adapters in addition.
Hey as long as the mayflash way works I don’t mind tinkering ha

That’s how you learn more too. So I’ll never shy away

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So mix CDs for myselt :)