Hardware PlayStation 4 OR n3DSXl?

hunoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS4 is a better media device. Want to watch Netflix on the TV go ahead. YouTube at 1080p no problem. Hulu and other stream services on the TV is a good thing. You also get to play the awesome games the PS4 has and the online interactions with others such as friends or random people. They're many other reasons to lean towards a PS4 if you're interested.

A N3DS is a portable gaming machine that you can take literally anywhere. Despite quite the power downgrade it sure does pack a variety of games which will definitely get you your money's worth. I recently played pokemon OmeGA Ruby for about 6+hours while still having a 2bar battery left and charges fairly quick. Not quite user friendly when it comes to online functionally and such but most of the great games lack those features while not even needing them.

PS4 is a still getting support and is having so great exclusives released this year.
3ds isn't pumping out games like it used to but has a great library of games to already try out.
The switch does seem like a go to console so I suggest you hold off on getting a N3DS just to see if you truly want the switch.

Ive had somewhat a hands on experience with the PlayStation 4 when i visited a few friends in kentucky a few months ago. seems like a decent console IMO.

Fluster cluck
Qbert
Every week

no more twisted metal
no more siren
no more wild arms
no more dark cloud
and lot more good franchises sony gave up on
only decent sony ip now is gravity rush

Lots of shovelware

no man sky goty
kid dog simulator big ps4 exclusive for holidays

interesting controller gimmicks not even sony games make use of

6 hours tops battery life on that controller

did I say sony tries to shove down bad indie games down your throat? movies too

Yeah, I loved Sony for 2 decades but now the PlayStation brand is going downhill for me.
I'm no sony fan, i had only played the PS1 until a few months ago, my friend did show me that problem and doesn't so much bother me.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you have a gaming pc theres basically 0 need for PS4 apart from those few few exclusives worth your time.
And if you don't, or if you just want to enjoy a plug and play, sit down and go console experience, it's the ideal low-cost solution for AAA gaming. Not that your argument holds any water anyways, there's a wealth of Sony exclusives out there (inFamous, Bloodborne, KillZone, Uncharted, Until Dawn etc.), or just console exclusives in general. The 3DS is going through a gaming drought, there hasn't been a single game out for the system that I'd want to buy since Monster Hunter X, meanwhile on PS4 I can't keep up with the release schedule.

Last edited by Foxi4,

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The question you should be asking yourself is: What games you want to play.

PS4 is good for First person shooters and sports games and indie games.

3DS is good for RPG, Platform, Strategy and Nintendo franchises and backwards compatibility/old school games.

hunoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The question you should be asking yourself is: What games you want to play.

PS4 is good for First person shooters and sports games and indie games.

3DS is good for RPG, Platform, Strategy and Nintendo franchises and backwards compatibility/old school games.

I like my FPS Games but love Nintendo Franchises. Im at no loss to whichever console i chose, Like foxi stated i havent seen many new games come to the 3DS in quite a while. meanwhile a PS4 would still have support/ games for atleast another 2 years.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
And if you don't, or if you just want to enjoy a plug and play, sit down and go console experience, it's the ideal low-cost solution for AAA gaming. Not that your argument holds any water anyways, there's a wealth of Sony exclusives out there (inFamous, Bloodborne, KillZone, Uncharted, Until Dawn etc.), or just console exclusives in general. The 3DS is going through a gaming drought, there hasn't been a single game out for the system that I'd want to buy since Monster Hunter X, meanwhile on PS4 I can't keep up with the release schedule.

None of those ps4 games you told spark my interest. I bought bloodborne last holidays to a regret, I didn't like the game at all. Actually none of those PS4 games you told were released in 2016 save for U4.

Meanwhile 3DS had Fire Emblem Fates, Bravely Second, Metroid Prime FF, 7th Dragon III, Phoenix Wright Spirit of Justice, Dragon Quest 7 and 8, SMT4:A, Pokémon S&M, Mario Maker and a new Yoshi, all games I am / was excited for.

I'll take dragon quest over the last guardian for holidays easily.

In the end it comes down to which games you like. Didn't need to beat more than Uncharted 1 and 2 to realize I hate the series, same goes for Infamous.

Last edited by netovsk,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's also worth noting that the PS4 gets a consistent stream of Japanese content, if that's your thing. It's not just FPS'es, there's loads of JRPG's to choose from.
None of those ps4 games you told spark my interest. I bought bloodborne last holidays to a regret, I didn't like the game at all. Actually none of those PS4 games you told were released in 2016.

Meanwhile 3DS had Fire Emblem Fates, Bravely Second, Metroid Prime FF, 7th Dragon III, Phoenix Wright Spirit of Justice, Dragon Quest 7 and 8, SMT4:A, Pokémon S&M, Mario Maker and a new Yoshi, all games I am / was excited for.

I'll take dragon quest over the last guardian for holidays easily.

In the end it comes down to which games you like. Didn't need to beat more than Uncharted 1 and 2 to realize I hate the series, same goes for Infamous.
If you'll take Dragon Quest then you'll be happy to learn that there's loads of DQ content on the system then.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not that your argument holds any water anyways, there's a wealth of Sony exclusives out there (inFamous, Bloodborne, KillZone, Uncharted, Until Dawn etc.), or just console exclusives in general. The 3DS is going through a gaming drought, there hasn't been a single game out for the system that I'd want to buy since Monster Hunter X, meanwhile on PS4 I can't keep up with the release schedule.
That's why I have no clue why this thread was created in the first place. On the contrary, I have never seen a game on the PS4 that seems of any interest to me since its release date (though I can agree that the 3DS doesn't really get interesting games either lately). So it's all a matter of personal tastes... and in that case why would someone ask others what system to buy when it's a matter of games and a matter of taste in the end??

Reactions: DrkBeam

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I like my FPS Games but love Nintendo Franchises. Im at no loss to whichever console i chose, Like foxi stated i havent seen many new games come to the 3DS in quite a while. meanwhile a PS4 would still have support/ games for atleast another 2 years.

If you look at last year, 3ds had way more exclusives than PS4. What PS4 did get in 16 was multiplatform (PC/Xbox) games, which of course you won't see in 3ds.

But if you already have a 3ds you probably have played what you wanted on it (or won't at all)

When I was in your position I went for a PS4, for it offered games I didn't have access to, then bought the N3DS recently

Maybe you could do the same and get the PS4 for now and N3DS next year.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's why I have no clue why this thread was created in the first place. On the contrary, I have never seen a game on the PS4 that seems of any interest to me since its release date (though I can agree that the 3DS doesn't really get interesting games either lately). So it's all a matter of personal tastes... and in that case why would someone ask others what system to buy when it's a matter of games and a matter of taste in the end??
It is a matter of taste, yes. It's okay to have bad taste - don't worry, yours will develop with experience, you'll hop onto the PlayStation train yet. ;O;

Kidding, kidding - you should look into the library though, the PS4 really does cover all bases in terms of genres. There's loads to choose from. Every console has something interesting about it, it's just a matter of finding the diamonds in the rough.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you'll take Dragon Quest then you'll be happy to learn that there's loads of DQ content on the system then.

On PS4? As of now spinoffs like heroes and builders.

But this year will be good indeed for ps4 regarding jrpgs, Ni No Kuni 2, P5, Berseria.

Nintendo will probably be more focused on switch for 2017.

hunoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Everyone is missing the main question of my thread, "Do you think me purchasing a n3DS won't be a wise investment due to the switch" was the main question.

If you look at last year, 3ds had way more exclusives than PS4. What PS4 did get in 16 was multiplatform (PC/Xbox) games, which of course you won't see in 3ds.

But if you already have a 3ds you probably have played what you wanted on it (or won't at all)

When I was in your position I went for a PS4, for it offered games I didn't have access to, then bought the N3DS recently

Maybe you could do the same and get the PS4 for now and N3DS next year.

I am weighing more over to the PS4 ATM. Due to the fact I'll still have my o3DS which sadly is close to dying.

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have both the PS4 and New3DSXL, must say I game more on my PS4 then om my 3DS.
Becase I can play games on the big screen in the living room. I really like games as The Witcher 3, Metro Redux, Wolfenstein: The Order, Doom.
Also I can play some last gen games with better fps and gfx like Resident Evil 4,Darksiders, Devil May Cry 4.

I use my 3ds mosly when my wife is watching boring shows on tv, i have CFW so I can play every game I want.
But I really like Bravely Default, Azure Striker Gunvolt and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.

I don't care about online gaming.

hunoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have both the PS4 and New3DSXL, must say I game more on my PS4 then om my 3DS.
Becase I can play games on the big screen in the living room. I really like games as The Witcher 3, Metro Redux, Wolfenstein: The Order, Doom.
Also I can play some last gen games with better fps and gfx like Resident Evil 4,Darksiders, Devil May Cry 4.

I use my 3ds mosly when my wife is watching boring shows on tv, i have CFW so I can play every game I want.
But I really like Bravely Default, Azure Striker Gunvolt and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.

I don't care about online gaming.

If im playing on a Console i'll be Interested in Online play, but its the Exact opposite if im using a portable console.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It is a matter of taste, yes. It's okay to have bad taste - don't worry, yours will develop with experience, you'll hop onto the PlayStation train yet. ;O;

Kidding, kidding - you should look into the library though, the PS4 really does cover all bases in terms of genres. There's loads to choose from. Every console has something interesting about it, it's just a matter of finding the diamonds in the rough.
Lol :P
Yeah, I didn't say all games were absolute crap. Just that there isn't any that is so exceptional that it would justify me purchasing the console.

Everyone is missing the main question of my thread, "Do you think me purchasing a n3DS won't be a wise investment due to the switch" was the main question.
I did miss it. Sorry about that.
Well then, is there any N3DS exclusive that you want? If not, don't get the N3DS (and get the PS4 or not, whatever, but don't buy something for no reason when you know your money is going to be needed elsewhere).
I mean, sure it's better than the regular 3DS (boots MH faster, has stable 3D, ...). But you can already play your games.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
"Everyone is missing the main question of my thread, "Do you think me purchasing a n3DS won't be a wise investment due to the switch" was the main question."

I decided to go for a N3DS a few weeks ago, after nintendo gave more specifics on switch. I'd rather suck the 3ds library dry than go for a console that offers not too much performance-wise compared to Wii U, and I believe it's going to flop.

hunoi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did miss it. Sorry about that.
Well then, is there any N3DS exclusive that you want? If not, don't get the N3DS (and get the PS4 or not, whatever, but don't buy something for no reason when you know your money is going to be needed elsewhere).
I mean, sure it's better than the regular 3DS (boots MH faster, has stable 3D, ...). But you can already play your games.

I would be playing a mix of games i've already played and games i'll get along with the n3DS when and if i pick it up.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
BTW switch is not replacing the 3ds, it's just Nintendo's last effort at the home console market before they quit and decide to go full handheld/cellphone (IMO).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Good quality games?! Wut? Which ones?
Like every Nintendo franchise, which amounts to a dozen or more, for a start.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...