Hacking [POC] A 'small' Proof of Concept on how to get unlinked Dual EmuNANDs on an n3DS

robb4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
@robb4
Can you publish source code of Cakes patch?

I would, but I wrote that before mid-kid rewrote the emunand patches (commit: https://github.com/mid-kid/CakesForeveryWan/commit/29b98f945e163fa5747cd68f37c315149beb14fd ) so it would no longer be relevant / accurate (won't work with EmuNAND 9.6+ on N3DS). I'll have to take a look at it, maybe I'll get it working with the new source too. No promises though.

Wait. I'm confused because I thought when you make an emunand, it copies your current sysnand. How would you have an emunand different from the region your 3ds is from? Is there a tutorial? Very valuable info considering I'm planning to buy a JPN N3DS.

There are ways of doing region changing, but I stopped trying to achieve that when I realized that eshop access won't really work. I think @Arithmatics was still trying to get multiple region EmuNANDs, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: Zidapi

pcm720

Trophies
Website
pcm720.me
XP
Country
Russia
I would, but I wrote that before mid-kid rewrote the emunand patches (commit: https://github.com/mid-kid/CakesForeveryWan/commit/29b98f945e163fa5747cd68f37c315149beb14fd ) so it would no longer be relevant / accurate (won't work with EmuNAND 9.6+ on N3DS). I'll have to take a look at it, maybe I'll get it working with the new source too. No promises though.

I already figured out how to change offset in patch.c to load second EmuNAND on old 3DS, and now I'm working on adding "Select emuNAND" option in the CFW menu.
Thanks for the idea.

robb4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I already figured out how to change offset in patch.c to load second EmuNAND on old 3DS, and now I'm working on adding "Select emuNAND" option in the CFW menu.
Thanks for the idea.

I see, cool, I had a different approach: modifying the patches.s patches.s(and info.json a bit) and building it into a different .cake. This would allow you to select the EmuNAND in the configuration menu. But if you've managed to achieve a similar result via the patch loading function I guess that works too; I'm not really sure what the correct way is.

Last edited by robb4,

pcm720

Trophies
Website
pcm720.me
XP
Country
Russia
I see, cool, I had a different approach: modifying the patches.s patches.s(and info.json a bit) and building it into a different .cake. This would allow you to select the EmuNAND in the configuration menu. But if you've managed to achieve a similar result via the patch loading function I guess that works too; I'm not really sure what the correct way is.

Well, I think that .cake patch is more flexible since one can use it without making any changes to source code.

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
There are ways of doing region changing, but I stopped trying to achieve that when I realized that eshop access won't really work. I think @Arithmatics was still trying to get multiple region EmuNANDs, but I'm not sure.

@Haise yes I have managed to configure a few SD cards with a japanese, american and european emunand respectively but as of now i'm using 3 sd cards and not a single on like I had originally planned. I tested @robb4 's cake beta quick patches to enter a third and fourth emunand but it didn't really work out. By the way, have you finished moving and setting up everything? ️

Perhaps if @pcm720 requires testing for his patch method i will gladly oblige and eventually release a guide myself for acheiving 4~5~6 emunands.

Maybe staying on 9.2 has enough benefits to still stick to it as of yet. :)

pcm720

Trophies
Website
pcm720.me
XP
Country
Russia
Perhaps if @pcm720 requires testing for his patch method i will gladly oblige and eventually release a guide myself for acheiving 4~5~6 emunands.

Well, I've managed to get everything working.
Added "EmuNAND configuration" to CakesFW main menu, it can support up to 4 EmuNANDs on SD since Multi NAND Creator can't create more.
Configuration is saved to config.dat, so it's not necessary to re-select EmuNAND everytime CFW launches.
It should work on N3DS too if you create Multi NAND with Multi NAND Creator. Changes I made to patch.c basically check your NAND size (less than 1 GiB or more than 1 GiB) and change offsets accordingly.

This version is based on the latest commit. Works fine on my 3DS.
If someone can test this on New 3DS, please do.
And I'll just copy-paste this:
Obligatory disclaimer: if following these steps make your console explode into flames, or even worse, brick, I am not responsible in any way shape or form, I can only offer you my sincere apologies, it was not intended. And, as always: "IT WERKS ON MY MACHINE!".

Attachments

• CakesFW with Multi NAND.zip
    132.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited by pcm720,

pcm720

Trophies
Website
pcm720.me
XP
Country
Russia
Cleaned it up and rebased on the latest CakesFW.
Also fixed autoboot, now it's working properly.

Attachments

• Cakes Multi EmuNAND.zip
    133.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited by pcm720,

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Reactions: Arithmatics

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...