Pokemon Home launches next month, will have free and premium tiers, brings back the GTS

original_d1e9c4dac0f337671b8e43b11651443c.jpg

p06_02.jpg p07_04.jpg p08_01.jpg p08_02.jpg p08_06.jpg

We've got new details regarding the Pokemon Home service, which will allow players to transfer some of their favorite Pokemon to the latest games. The service is set to launch next month, in February 2020, with both a free and a paid plan available. For free, players can deposit 30 Pokemon, have three creatures in the Wonder Box at once, and can participate in "room trades". The premium version of Pokemon Home will cost $15.99 a year, and will expand upon the features of the basic plan, such as raising the limit of maximum deposited Pokemon from 30 to 6,000, having 10 Pokemon in the Wonder Box at once, being able to use Pokemon Bank, and giving access to the Judge function, which lets you see your Pokemon's EV's and IV's at a glance.

Pokemon Bank, a service that also previously required a yearly payment, will be made free for a month, to celebrate the launch of Pokemon Home, and made it easier for premium players to import their Pokemon into the new program.

GFHjYbj.png

The Wonder Box is a feature that acts as a larger-scale Wonder Trade function, trading selected Pokemon randomly across the globe, even when you're not using the Pokemon Home app. Meanwhile, the GTS will be making a comeback, and just like the older games, you'll be able to deposit a set Pokemon and request a trade with someone for another Pokemon, under certain conditions. Room Trades are similar to Wonder Trades, but you'll join together with a set of 20 players, who will each randomly trade their Pokemon. Players on the free plan can partake in these trades, but only paid members can host them.

Instead of receiving carting your Switch to events, Mystery Gifts can be obtained both locally and online through the Pokemon Home app as well.

:arrow: Source

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Well it's a good thing that I'm just a filthy casual pokemon player and just move on to other games after I'm done with sword.

Last edited by Paulsar99,

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
If your using the free version of home just be careful what you transfer as half the Pokemon can't go anywhere once transferred to home. Now it seems you'd have to pay to keep your living dex on home once you transfer them...

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was wondering where the GTS went, when I played SwSh. Now I get where they're going. They extracted it from their games, so they do not have to reimplement the GTS system into their future games. That's a pretty smart decision on their part, since you could just use Home as a glorified GTS with a Pokedex, if you want.

But I probably won't transfer any of my Pokémon from older games to Home. If I can't get them back, then what's the point. If there'll ever be a Pokémon game, that includes all Pokémon again, that would be a reason to start transferring. But at this moment, Home is nothing more than another thing to install, to get GTS functionality to me.

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get the TemTem hype personally. As much as everyone seems to praise it to be the next "Pokemon killer while Pokemon is screwing up", it doesn't appear to be all that much better - again, less monsters, worse graphics, similarly simplistic animations, and relatively uninspired mon designs and artistic direction. Besides, I'm sceptical of MMO aspects already: from ability of small indie studio to carry an ambitious MMO (projects that fail all too often, as NerdSlayer can attest), to the fact that consistent updates will require consistent income (which means microtransactions and subscriptions are most likely to follow). I think a lot of support for TemTem comes out of pure spite for Pokemon, which is understandable, but won't do TemTem any favor once people chill down and realize that there are tons of better mon games than both Pokemon and TemTem.

I appreciate your well-thought reply. My impression thus far is that the dialog across the board is terrible. Whoever is writing it does not know how normal people speak, or how the experts and professionals of this universe would conduct themselves. It's like a high schooler who proclaims themselves as quirky and random using bad anime dub as inspiration for writing pokemon fanfic. Sitting through cutscene dialog is making me cringe. All of the terms you'd be familiar with in the pokemon series is mad-libbed in with their own versions - [Poke ball: TemCard] [Trainer: Tamer] and so on.

Creature designs seem uninspired like you said, and the battle mechanics are predictable - definitely not blowing my mind. It seems that single battles are impossible and that so far they don't have any battle mechanic gimmick to combat what the pokemon series goes for (mega evolutions, z-moves, giganti (gag, I don't even want to finish the word). Synergies are interesting, where certain moves are powered up if your doubles partner is the correct type to synergize with it.

Graphics are enjoyable to me, a nice 60fps and smooth animations. Battle move effects look nice. Music does not transition from overworld into battles very well and it makes it feel clunky. Overworld design feels weird as well, they're not taking any cues on how routes and wild areas from the pokemon series flow.

All that said, this is my first foray into a creature collector game that isn't pokemon, and it's an early access title on top of that. I really do hope to see this game grow and avoid pay to win mechanics while also making an MMO instead of just seeing other players walk past you. I won't say no to cosmetic-only microtransactions and supporter packs like Path of Exile does if they ever went that route.

I could get into it for hours about the development trajectory PoE has taken since beta, but to sum it up, I hope to see Temtem make a similar approach of releasing a complete and self-contained game first and foremost no matter how small, and add replay value by creating expansions to go beyond the original endgame and mechanics piece by piece or through seasons - PoE does "leagues" where their gimmick mechanic is the focus of the whole season, and most of the time after the season ends, the gimmick is rebalanced and rolled into the base game and the next season and gimmick is introduced. It's like a snowball of awesome rolling downhill.

I hope this huge post doesn't detract from how much of a joke pokemon has become.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Seems since their mobile phone business Nintendo is trying more and more how far they can go with monetization. Before some people come bashing that the Pokemon company is not Nintendo well it is since everything related Pokemon is done by the pokemon company that is owned 50/50 equally by Gamefreak and Nintendo. Yes Nintendo is shifting more and more towards monetization and they have been taking it slowly over the years exopanding it bit by bit. I hope that future doesn't come to pass because it ain't good

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The pokemon company is owned 50/50 by Nintendo and Gamefreak ( and creatures but is owned by gamefreak so whatever ) so they have everything to do with this since one can veto out the other one in shareholder meetings when it comes to decisions like these, so yeah they have everything to do with it ! Ishihare is the CEO of the pokemon company and has made games ONLY for Nintendo during the NES, Snes area and so forth. That says enough i think
yep the latest ceo of nintendo is a greedy old bastard who cares only about money and how he can get it from you. he doesn't even come close to holding a candle to iwata

Brigand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm really happy they decided to release a free version. It looks like it will suit me just fine. I'm not a fan of this kind of subscription nor do I support microtransactions, but I'm not too pissed about this. The 30 Pokemon limit is quite small, but it's fine for people who only want to transfer Pokemon rather than store them. I actually like the concept of Bank and Home, as the storage features eliminates all those tedious trades I'd have to do back in the day (while borrowing a friend's system) to get my old Pokemon to a new save file. I'm still sticking with pkhex over bank, though.

Also, this room trade idea is pretty cool. It sounds fun, even considering it's really just a bigger wonder trade. Also super happy for the return of GTS, now I can finally get some version exclusives.

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Pokemon home more like Pokemon prison...

Preach, preach it because they're butt fucking us hard man.

Basic tier can only upload 30 Pokemon?
WTF kind of joke is that?
Seriously, Nintendo, you gotta be out of your fucking minds to force the Premium one out of the users with that absurd "free" solution.

I seriously thought that was just gonna be a myth cause someone actually called it out on twitter D: for fuck sakes that is a cash scummy thing to do T_T i miss pokebank, they freaking gave us the entire thing, just had to pay for the application and bam. But now we gotta be slaves -and the matter of calculating how much are you actually spending. Some dense people believe it's not a big deal, it is when you freaking crunch up the darn numbers, and what they're doing..!!

Wow... I was thinking the Pokemon Home was going to cost $20 a year jokingly in my head. I was close... $16 a year. I mean you can spend like $3 a month, but this is messed up.

GTS and online were FREE before SwSh and Switch. I blame this on Nintendo cause they can't do online right while Sony and Microsoft are BETTER in that regard. Not perfect, but better.

But GameFreak is also in the wrong for cutting the feature out and selling us back at a price. At least there's a FREE version, but it's so gutted what's the point?

Also, someone stated you need Nintendo Switch Online to have Home be usable with SwSh. I don't see that in this article unless it was stated somewhere else. Can someone confirm this please?

Great to know that they're blowing people pockets off the bat with that possibly fact you stated -needing internet. again this is just a cash grab for the cows, and ya'll better save your wallets for something better quality and worth the price D: not this!

Seems since their mobile phone business Nintendo is trying more and more how far they can go with monetization. Before some people come bashing that the Pokemon company is not Nintendo well it is since everything related Pokemon is done by the pokemon company that is owned 50/50 equally by Gamefreak and Nintendo. Yes Nintendo is shifting more and more towards monetization and they have been taking it slowly over the years exopanding it bit by bit. I hope that future doesn't come to pass because it ain't good

The pokemon company is owned 50/50 by Nintendo and Gamefreak ( and creatures but is owned by gamefreak so whatever ) so they have everything to do with this since one can veto out the other one in shareholder meetings when it comes to decisions like these, so yeah they have everything to do with it ! Ishihare is the CEO of the pokemon company and has made games ONLY for Nintendo during the NES, Snes area and so forth. That says enough i think

lmao this is so sad but true T_T

We've got new details regarding the Pokemon Home service, which will allow players to transfer some of their favorite Pokemon to the latest games. The service is set to launch next month, in February 2020, with both a free and a paid plan available. For free, players can deposit 30 Pokemon, have three creatures in the Wonder Box at once, and can participate in "room trades". The premium version of Pokemon Home will cost $15.99 a year, and will expand upon the features of the basic plan, such as raising the limit of maximum deposited Pokemon from 30 to 6,000, having 10 Pokemon in the Wonder Box at once, being able to use Pokemon Bank, and giving access to the Judge function, which lets you see your Pokemon's EV's and IV's at a glance.

Pokemon Bank, a service that also previously required a yearly payment, will be made free for a month, to celebrate the launch of Pokemon Home, and made it easier for premium players to import their Pokemon into the new program.

The Wonder Box is a feature that acts as a larger-scale Wonder Trade function, trading selected Pokemon randomly across the globe, even when you're not using the Pokemon Home app. Meanwhile, the GTS will be making a comeback, and just like the older games, you'll be able to deposit a set Pokemon and request a trade with someone for another Pokemon, under certain conditions. Room Trades are similar to Wonder Trades, but you'll join together with a set of 20 players, who will each randomly trade their Pokemon. Players on the free plan can partake in these trades, but only paid members can host them.

Instead of receiving carting your Switch to events, Mystery Gifts can be obtained both locally and online through the Pokemon Home app as well.

:arrow: Source

they seriously better let my gorgeous lugia out of pokemon home ;^; i want my baby out! but not like this

Reactions: ShadowOne333

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I reckon we need an open source alternative.
The holy grail would be blockchain based. the failings of existing services are that they don't give you the reassurance of 24/7 backed up cloud hosting, and they are not 'integrated' with the game... not sure how to solve that one.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Have you played COD, Forza, DBZ Xenoverse and etc it has always been alot of microtransactions in that game.

Do you live in a shelter or something? Microtransactions, specially in those games are things that people has been always complaining for, myself included. I haven't paid a single penny for "fancy stuff" in games that won't require it as an important thing on the game, and I will never be paying for a """"service"""" that let's you store 6MB of data for a ridiculous price tag.

Oh, I need to mention that I didn't bought SW/SH because of ya know, being incomplete mediocre games.

Last edited by DSoryu,

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I reckon we need an open source alternative.
The holy grail would be blockchain based. the failings of existing services are that they don't give you the reassurance of 24/7 backed up cloud hosting, and they are not 'integrated' with the game... not sure how to solve that one.

No. Just no. Look, here's the thing: adding blockchain does not automatically make a useful.

Blockchain is useful for distributed and versioned data, like git repos or transaction ledgers. Something that can have elements "put in" or "taken out" will inherently be incompatible with blockchain, because it isn't intended for that use case. Blockchain is not a storage solution, it's a immutable record of versioned/appended data and cryptographic ownership information.

you also need nintendo switch online for this to work. home is essentially an add-on for it. I fully expect something online-ish to get added for animal crossing with a separate fee and/or 64/gamecube games to be a separate fee as well. Bringing the total closer or even over 60 a year. Nintendo is selling it’s online service l’carte!

I think you're being absurd. The animal crossing folks will riot if they use Pocket Camp's tactics on a mainline game, N64 is going to be the same as SNES and NES, and gamecube ain't happening.

Last edited by chaoskagami,
Reactions: uyjulian

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I never understand why would anyone ever need to transfer Pokemon over for. You don't catch it, you don't breed it, you just leave it there in the box and look at it. Realistically, how many of them would plan to use? I had never build more than 30 Pokemon to be honest and I use even less than that in battle.

Reactions: seseiSeki

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Gamefreak and Pokemon Company strikes again, but hardcore fans will never complain and praise the move, just like they did with the last games
Plase help me when the transfer become legal. I can trade you anything even my legit shiny that i got in the game.
Yes, i can mod my system but then i need to buy another console for play Smash online.

Personaly i will go for the DLC just so i can say i have 100% Gen8 and then be done with Pokemon games forever. Hopefully next year and futures years we are gonna get some more good Digimon games for all platforms.
Well, you can use an emunand to mod your console while still being able to play online, that's what I do (even tho I almost never use my sysnand and online play), but if you don't know what you are doing, don't do anything or you will get banned because of a dumb move

Last edited by LightBeam,
Reactions: DSoryu

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you live in a shelter or something? Microtransactions, specially in those games are things that people has been always complaining for, myself included. I haven't paid a single penny for "fancy stuff" in games that won't require it as an important thing on the game, and I will never be paying for a """"service"""" that let's you store 6MB of data for a ridiculous price tag.

Oh, I need to mention that I didn't bought SW/SH because of ya know, being incomplete mediocre games.

Most games have DLC Passes for $30 I do admit yes I did buy DLC and yes I did buy the pokemon expansion pass for $30 but that is just me. I mean this is just the era that we live in now. I dont agree with it but I had adapted to the era of gaming. This pokemon bank is no different if you dont believe in paying for it then dont buy it. It's just that simple.

This is where you have modded systems and DLC unlockers for

BlackZero500

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Im really surprised how few seem to notice that 16 bucks a year isnt much and even less seem to realize that managing a Platform for Storing and Trading Pokemon and not to mention to keep Hackers out and such is not something that just pops out of thin air. I really think pokemon has gone sideways long ago but for very different reasons. XY was for the longest time the first enjoyable pokemon. And the last since. Before that the last good one was Silver and Gold. Yeah i include the Remakes of Red and Green and Silver and Gold but even then it got worse every frickin time. Not because Nintendo wants to get paid for their work, and not because you cant catch all those Pokemon in every single edition. No. Its because the New Pokemon suck, the Stories Suck and if they have some brilliant idea (Mega Evolution) They drop it the next second.

I think providing you with the basics for the service is very generous. I would do no such thing. Because as much as you all whine and throw a tantrum, it cant change the fact that most of you will buy the premium anyway.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SMT has way less monsters, no transfer between games at all, and it consistently removes demons from compendium every single entry. I mean, I love Megaten way more than Pokemon, but your statement confuses me x,)
Just wait for SMT V :ha:

Im really surprised how few seem to notice that 16 bucks a year isnt much and even less seem to realize that managing a Platform for Storing and Trading Pokemon and not to mention to keep Hackers out and such is not something that just pops out of thin air. I really think pokemon has gone sideways long ago but for very different reasons. XY was for the longest time the first enjoyable pokemon. And the last since. Before that the last good one was Silver and Gold. Yeah i include the Remakes of Red and Green and Silver and Gold but even then it got worse every frickin time. Not because Nintendo wants to get paid for their work, and not because you cant catch all those Pokemon in every single edition. No. Its because the New Pokemon suck, the Stories Suck and if they have some brilliant idea (Mega Evolution) They drop it the next second.

I think providing you with the basics for the service is very generous. I would do no such thing. Because as much as you all whine and throw a tantrum, it cant change the fact that most of you will buy the premium anyway.

The problem is, storing pokemon and managing pokemon is super easy. It doesn't require Terabytes of data. I'm pretty sure every single person on this planet's pokemon could fit on a single 1tb hard drive with ease.

noobita029

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Never thought, this day would come. Pokemons behind a paywall... Genwunners be wondering. "Wtf happened?".. Well tbh it was a slow downward spiral since gen5

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Hey hey!