Pokémon - The Battle Between Legitimacy and Legality

Should legal Pokémon (created artificially) be allowed in the games?

• Yes

Votes: 106 54.9%
  • No

Votes: 87 45.1%

• Total voters

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Considering that this site supports piracy (outside of providing ROMs), it's fairly obvious that the majority of opinions here are going to be biased. I mean, come on, if people willingly break the law, of course they'll have no qualms about breaking rules for an online game.

Reactions: gundambot

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That won't happen.

What do you mean, that wont happen?

Why would it not happen? It should be a pretty minor change really, its just a single byte that needs to be changed.

I'm not talking about a pokesav for Y and X. I'm talking about adding the option to give transfered pokemon the 'kalos hexagon' before its even transfered. A hack that right now, requires the use of a hex editor, but is pretty simple in general.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
In a game where battles relied more on player skill and less on the characters' starting stats, hacked (but still legal) characters wouldn't matter that much. But Pokemon is more or less a solved game (damage can be calculated in advance, and for every Pokemon with any move there is a mathematically optimal counter; you can calculate the perfect game for every battle) and players at the top level know exactly what moves to make each turn to play the perfect game, and 90% of the time the outcome is pretty much known before the battle even starts. Outside of some truly brilliant new tactic (and they grow rarer by the second) the outcome of a Pokemon battle really depends only on how much grinding the player did beforehand. Replacing all that work with a single, simple hack is unfair to the other player.

D

Deleted-236924

Why would it not happen? It should be a pretty minor change really, its just a single byte that needs to be changed.

I'm not talking about a pokesav for Y and X. I'm talking about adding the option to give transfered pokemon the 'kalos hexagon' before its even transfered. A hack that right now, requires the use of a hex editor, but is pretty simple in general.

Because of the entire policy of the website from which PokéGen originates, this simply won't happen.

Reactions: gamefan5

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Because of the entire policy of the website from which PokéGen originates, this simply won't happen.

whats the policy of the website from which pokegen comes from? (is it the same as the ones that brought us pokesav?)

also, it doesnt have to be them specifically. a cheap .bat file would be able to do the same. all I'm saying is, it won't take long until people dont even need to open up a hex editor for this

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

and what byte is that? why will we want that anyway?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
and what byte is that? why will we want that anyway?

0x5F to 18

In a hex editor, it would look like this
http://puu.sh/5ZUZs.jpg

We generally don't want that. But what it does is, that a pokemon that came from gen 5 through the pokebank, has a Kalos Hexagon from the very start. By changing the bytes initial value to 18, you basically change its hatching location to a location in X/Y (in the case of 18, it seems to be the santalune forest from early in the game)

It would allow people to use their gened pokemon from gen 5 in gen 6's special battle (and it would probably be enough to slip by the tournaments general checks) so unless someone tells the repsonsible people that a mega gardevoir with hyper voice (or any other pokemon with a tutor move) and a kalos triangle wouldn't be possible unless its in some way hacked, people can cheat on tournaments

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Yes I know that Hidden Abilities that arent released dont make it to online battles. My point is they shouldn't have made it through the bank in the first place.

But online battles only stop so much. You cant have a gardevoir with mewtwos psistrike online because its a move it cant have. but they can have a gen 5 gardevoir with the tutor move hyper voice AND the kalos hexagon to use in rated and special battles.
They should not be able to have that, because hyper voice is a tutor move that doesnt get passed when they breed it for the kalos hexagon (a step they wont need to do now, that you can edit the pokemon in gen 5 to arrive in gen 6 with the mark already present)
Reread.......

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
0x5F to 18

In a hex editor, it would look like this
http://puu.sh/5ZUZs.jpg

We generally don't want that. But what it does is, that a pokemon that came from gen 5 through the pokebank, has a Kalos Hexagon from the very start. By changing the bytes initial value to 18, you basically change its hatching location to a location in X/Y (in the case of 18, it seems to be the santalune forest from early in the game)

Has this been tested?

As far as I know,
that byte is for "Origin Game", and X and Y uses values 24 and 25 respectivel

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So yes, you can transfer Pokemon with Dream World abilities if done correctly. You cannot use them on Battle Spot. BUT, you can use them against Friend Battles.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh oops! Was thinking it was Dec. Oh wells.
It shouldn't be a problem as long as people don't know how to key that byte in and fix the checksum,
or if GF patches that

I can't wait for Pokebank to come out. :/

fixing the checksum is apparently really simple, I left that out on purpose. but as I said, I expect that eventually, someone will make a small .bat file or add that function to pokegen or sav and then it'll just be a click...

bezman

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not totally against the whole idea, but I 'frown upon' it.
As long as the people who do create these artificial Pokemon keep within the boundaries and not create 6 Arceus with maxed out stats and perfect IV's ad EV's then it's ok. They'll just miss out on that awesome feeling of catching, training and putting in the time and effort to have a strong and well balanced team.
I understand that if you have been putting in the time to research Pokemon and eventually come up with a strong team, you would want that team RIGHT NOW. You don't want to grind. However that would be, what some people would call, a 'false sense of achievement' because you didn't get the team you wanted through normal means.
Whatever floats your goat though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think I have a 256GB card in my 3DS lol
    It's a New 3DS XL so it's still under warranty... If it ever breaks gonna make Nintendo fix it lol You said it was new.... For eternity!!!
    But my 3DS is loaded with emulators and 3DS games and DS games and GBA games probably thousands of games in total lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb going with my dad
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, are most of those games shovelware?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah gotta buy 3 1tb SD cards for 3ds the entire libraries need archived in my home
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    >buys x3 1TB SD cards
    >stores the entire 3DS library on them
    >installs CFW
    >realised why I wasted loads of money and resources
    +2
    Lol no I clean my sets
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cause it's in my home ready to go
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like uremum
    But 100 games on SNES and Genesis and GBA then TG16 and NES and GB and GBC then all the other random systems and arcade games it all adds up lol
    +1
    Virtual Boy alone has probably 5 games!!! Lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I won't mention any names in chat but some of us wastes $300 on preloaded hdds :tpi:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, The PS5 had none.
    +2
    Lol I spent more than that on a stuffed 4TB drive lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly I've yet to fill the 1tb internal drive on my ps5
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, 1) except final fantasy 16. 2) why would I have a console's whole catalogue if most of the games are either shovelware or terrible games?
    Kind of a waste, but the allure of all those games over 100,000
    Some shovel ware with low ratings you might enjoy more than the ratings would sugest
    +1
    Cruisn on the Wii is one of my personal examples of that, it's considered one of the worst games of all time, I loved it and completed it several times.
    +1
    The trick for me was to go into the settings and crank up the Wiimote sensitivity to the max and it gets twitchy but you can win that way lol
    Lots of other games I enjoyed that reviews would say otherwise lol
  • btei @ btei:
    lethal company servers are down rn
  • btei @ btei:
    my pocket pikachu is going crazy rn
    Pocket Pikachu sounds dirty lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Pocket Pikachu sounds dirty lol